News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Counties with no 4-way state highway intersections

Started by US 89, October 19, 2019, 01:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

Here's a weird one:  Jo Daviess County, IL.

IL-35 meets US20 and ends there at an interchange.  However, the interchange has no 4-way intersections.

Also:  Christian County, IL.  IL-29 and IL-48 cross over each other via overpass, but are connected by a short access road.  Does that short access road count as an interchange?  Christian County has no other 4-way junctions.

Other counties in IL that qualify:  Hancock, Brown, Shelby, Clay, Pulaski.  Moultrie almost qualifies but there's a 4-way junction along its northern county line.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Thing 342

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 19, 2019, 05:44:47 PM
Counties in Virginia that meet this criteria:

Bath
Buchanan
Craig
Cumberland
Dickenson
Essex
Fluvanna
Giles
Goochland
King and Queen
Lee
Lunenburg
Madison
Mathews
Middlesex
Northumberland
Powhatan
Russell
Scott
Surry
Westmoreland

Also the Independent Cities of Manassas Park and Radford
Franklin also fits. The US-58/US-258 junction is outside of city limits.

bassoon1986

I really thought Louisiana would be zero. But...

Tensas Parish
Madison Parish (very few highways at all)
Plaquemines Parish
St Charles Parish
St Mary Parish

Most of these have to do with water barriers. Roads that follow rivers or parishes bordering the gulf with highways that dead end.

iPhone

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on October 21, 2019, 08:13:45 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on October 20, 2019, 04:55:54 PM
Quote from: GaryV on October 20, 2019, 08:15:48 AM
Quote from: bulldog1979 on October 19, 2019, 08:57:17 PM
In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Houghton is an edge case. There is a four-way intersection with US 41 and M-203. The southern leg is US 41 southbound, the eastern leg is US 41 northbound, the northern leg has both directions of US 41, and the western leg is M-203. All other highway intersections in the county are three-way (or the fourth leg is not a state highway).
And in the Lower Peninsula:
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

Much of this is due to the propensity of highways to join each other for a short distance.  For example, an E-W route might meet a N-S route, travel concurrently with it for a few miles (or even as little as a few blocks, as in the case of Jonesville in Hillsdale County) and then strike off on it's own again.  This results in 2 intersections with 3-way connections, but no 4-way connection.
If I'm understanding the question right then just off the top of my head Sanillac County shouldn't be on the list. M-53 and M-46 intersect in the western part of the county and have all four directions as a state highway.
Sorry, my mistake.  Not the first time, and most likely won't be the last.   :spin:
I just wasn't understanding the question I think I understand it now.

ftballfan

In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Houghton is an edge case. There is a four-way intersection with US 41 and M-203. The southern leg is US 41 southbound, the eastern leg is US 41 northbound, the northern leg has both directions of US 41, and the western leg is M-203. All other highway intersections in the county are three-way (or the fourth leg is not a state highway).
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

Much of this is due to the propensity of highways to join each other for a short distance.  For example, an E-W route might meet a N-S route, travel concurrently with it for a few miles (or even as little as a few blocks, as in the case of Jonesville in Hillsdale County) and then strike off on it's own again.  This results in 2 intersections with 3-way connections, but no 4-way connection.

Scratch Montcalm off! Montcalm County has not one, but two four-way state highway intersections (M-57/M-91 in Greenville and M-57/M-66 near Sheridan).

Hillsdale is an odd case, as the (four-way) US-127/M-34 intersection is on the Lenawee/Hillsdale county line.

GaryV

Correct on Montcalm.  I don't know how I missed seeing those.

Yeah, Hillsdale is a maybe.  I was so excited about finding a jog in Jonesville that I missed the 4-way on the county line.  I suppose it depends on exactly where the road is vs the survey line.  Technically, only 3 of the 4 legs are in Hillsdale. 

stevashe

Here's what I got for Washington:

• Whatcom
  • San Juan (in fact, no state highways at all other than ferry docks!)
  • Island
  • Clallam
  • Jefferson
  • Mason
  • Kitsap
  • Thurston
  • Pacific
  • Wahkiakum
  • Skamania (and no 3-ways either)
  • Klickitat
  • Kittitas
  • Chelan
  • Okanogan
  • Stevens
  • Pend Oreille
  • Douglas
  • Walla Walla
  • Whitman
  • Columbia
  • Garfield
  • Asotin
That's 23/39! Guess we don't like 4-way intersections here...

Mark68

Colorado:

Moffat
Rio Blanco
Garfield
San Miguel
Dolores
Montezuma
La Plata
San Juan
Ouray
Delta
Archuleta
Mineral
Hinsdale
Gunnison
Pitkin
Routt
Jackson
Grand
Lake
Chaffee (US 50 & 285 have a short concurrency)
Saguache
Alamosa
Conejos
Costilla
Custer
Teller
Park (both intersections with CO 9 involve a short concurrency)
Clear Creek
Gilpin
Crowley (junction between CO 71 & 96 in Ordway has a 2 block concurrency)
Elbert
Cheyenne
Kiowa
Bent
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

roadfro

Nevada counties without a four-way state highway intersection:

Carson City^
Douglas
Elko*^
Esmeralda
Eureka*
Humboldt*
Lander*
Mineral
Nye
White Pine

* This county has no at-grade four-way intersections, but does include at least one freeway interchange with a state highway where state-maintained roadways extend in four directions from the interchange.
^ My review excluded state-maintained roadways lower than state highway status, particularly frontage roads. If frontage roads were included, this county would not have been listed.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

cenlaroads

Quote from: bassoon1986 on October 21, 2019, 08:42:24 PM

Tensas Parish
Plaquemines Parish
St Charles Parish
St Mary Parish

Most of these have to do with water barriers. Roads that follow rivers or parishes bordering the gulf with highways that dead end.
iPhone

West Feliciana Parish has none either.

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2019, 06:03:40 PM
Kalawao in Hawaii :bigass:

Well, "Counties with no state highways" would be a subset of this set.

In this regard Nantucket, MA; Dukes, MA; and San Juan, WA also count.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US 89

Quote from: Duke87 on October 25, 2019, 08:07:00 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2019, 06:03:40 PM
Kalawao in Hawaii :bigass:

Well, "Counties with no state highways" would be a subset of this set.

In this regard Nantucket, MA; Dukes, MA; and San Juan, WA also count.

The San Juan Islands ferry route is numbered SR 20 Spur.

bassoon1986

Quote from: cenlaroads on October 25, 2019, 07:50:41 PM

Tensas Parish
Plaquemines Parish
St Charles Parish
St Mary Parish

iPhone

Yep! That's another parish I always forget how small it is.

iPhone

Flint1979

Quote from: ftballfan on October 22, 2019, 05:57:41 PM
In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

Scratch Montcalm off! Montcalm County has not one, but two four-way state highway intersections (M-57/M-91 in Greenville and M-57/M-66 near Sheridan).

Hillsdale is an odd case, as the (four-way) US-127/M-34 intersection is on the Lenawee/Hillsdale county line.
I wouldn't count 127 and 34 since one leg is in lenawee county, one is in Hillsdale county and the other two legs are the county line. I can't find any in Hillsdale county. All the highways that cross another highway take a jog in the route.

DandyDan

I haven't looked over all of Iowa, but Winnebago and Mitchell Counties each have 2 highways where they overlap.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ftballfan

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 27, 2019, 06:18:09 AM
Quote from: ftballfan on October 22, 2019, 05:57:41 PM
In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

I wouldn't count 127 and 34 since one leg is in lenawee county, one is in Hillsdale county and the other two legs are the county line. I can't find any in Hillsdale county. All the highways that cross another highway take a jog in the route.
Luce County doesn't have a 4-way state highway intersection (the eastern M-28/M-123 junction is in Chippewa County)

TheGrassGuy

Are we counting interchanges? Are we counting US Routes? If neither, then Somerset County, NJ.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

debragga

Quote from: wxfree on October 20, 2019, 11:26:23 PM
In Texas, my first thought was Terrell and Jeff Davis.  Of course, there's also Kenedy, which doesn't even have a second highway to intersect with US 77.  Checking a map, I also found Edwards and Kent.  I thought Mills was a good candidate, because none of the seven highways in Goldthwaite meet at a four-way, but there's one between two minor highways at the edge of the county.

Loving County as well. There's only 2 highways (TX-302 & RM-652) in the county, and they don't intersect.

debragga

Tensas Parish
Plaquemines Parish
St Charles Parish
St Mary Parish

iPhone

Same for Cameron Parish

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on November 26, 2019, 01:02:07 PM
Are we counting interchanges? Are we counting US Routes? If neither, then Somerset County, NJ.
Oh, nvm, didn't read the "at least" part. Well in that case, I don't think there are any in NJ.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

bassoon1986

Quote from: debragga on November 27, 2019, 02:25:39 AM

Tensas Parish
Plaquemines Parish
St Charles Parish
St Mary Parish

iPhone

Same for Cameron Parish

Almost. Cameron Parish has just 1.

iPhone

Highway63

Surprisingly quite a few in Iowa, and many more where there's only one.

Iowa: Lyon*, Clay, Palo Alto, Hancock*, Winnebago, Mitchell, Allamakee, Butler*, Wright, Ida*, Crawford*, Iowa, Cedar*, Louisa, Henry, Van Buren, Davis, Union, Ringgold, Taylor, Page.

Previously: Calhoun and Sac, both before 2012 and relocated four-lane US 20; Jefferson, before 2008; Wapello, before 2007

*These counties have T's where one route moves over a mile (or in Crawford's and Taylor's cases, less). The rest have T's and/or longer duplexes.

doorknob60

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on October 20, 2019, 08:12:09 PM
Oregon has several, in addition to Coos County mentioned above:

Curry County
Lake County
Columbia County
Wheeler County
Grant County
Lincoln County
Clatsop County
Hood River County
Wallowa County

Del Norte County CA is another one.

Surprisingly, I think Deschutes County counts as well. US-97 and US-20 is a complicated matter, as there are 2 separate freeway interchanges between the highways, but neither of them feel like "4 way" since they are partial interchanges. And if you want to go off the business loop instead (old US-97), then it's two 3-way intersections with a multiplex in between. I don't know how to qualify it overall.

US-97 and OR-126 in Redmond are two separate 3 way intersections, with a short multiplex.

OR-126 and US-20 are a 3 way intersection in Sisters and are mutliplexed all the way up Santiam Pass.

Every other highway ends at its intersection with another one: eg. OR-31, OR-370, OR-242

ari-s-drives

dvferyance

Quote from: thspfc on October 19, 2019, 07:07:49 PM
Menominee County, WI
Florence County, WI
Vilas County, WI
Probably several counties in upper MI as well. St Louis County, MN has only one, and that's a county of 200k people.
You forgot Door County the most obvious one. They have 2 state routs WI-42 and WI-57 they do intersect twice but never 4 way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.