News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Slang

Started by Max Rockatansky, September 08, 2019, 08:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2019, 09:28:38 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 17, 2019, 09:22:42 PM
"Uff da"  is used in North Dakota as well, at least based on what a client from Fargo told me.

Yep.. at least in spirit! I've found the Dakotas linguistically and culturally to be very similar to Minnesota.

I mean, considering they are right next to it...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2019, 10:03:14 PM
"Uff da"  is used in North Dakota as well, at least based on what a client from Fargo told me.

Yep.. at least in spirit! I've found the Dakotas linguistically and culturally to be very similar to Minnesota.

My wife watched Fargo for the first time the other day.  I've been having the hardest time comparing what my cousins sound like, I finally had a real world analogy she got. 

1995hoo

Except it was poster Bruce who mentioned "uff da"  in the context of Seattle. I just didn't quote his post because I didn't feel like editing it down.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on September 17, 2019, 10:03:14 PM

New York is right next to Vermont, and in many ways they are as different as night and day.
Same with New York and Pennsylvania.

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 18, 2019, 07:53:55 AM
Except it was poster Bruce who mentioned "uff da"  in the context of Seattle. I just didn't quote his post because I didn't feel like editing it down.

Oops. I missed that, and just assumed Minnesota based on my priors (and the fact that a Minnesotan posted directly above you).
Bruce did note Scandinavian heritage as being the cause, though, so it would be applicable to all of the above, given the concentration of Scandinavian roots in the Upper Midwest.

roadman65

Brooklyn is different from the rest of New York too in that respect.  Even the Puerto Ricans, as one old boss of mine was from Brooklyn but of Puerto Rican descent.  He told me that he once visited San Juan and spoke his native Spanish  while there and was found out by native Puerto Rico residents he was from Brooklyn as even in Spanish they have certain words that differ.

In fact I know another man who claims he is from Brooklyn but lacks the accent as well.  Also of Hispanic origin, but has a heavy Spanish accent that usually native Puerto Ricans or South Americans have when he speaks, but insists he is from Brooklyn.  I assume he is as phony as the career he wants many to think he had and that was an NYPD Officer.  The guy, when you meet him, is flaky to say the least and never stops talking and controls the conversation so you have to sit there and listen to him, especially when he talks about crap you care less about.  So the slang is important of people to know where they are from and makes us interesting.

Anyway, NY is made up of many slang in speech.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.