News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Plain green “Wisconsin” signs at the border

Started by peterj920, August 28, 2023, 07:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ghostbuster

Why has the subject heading been changed to "Plain green "Wisconsin"  signs at the border"? It should be "Plain green Wisconsin signs at the border".

hotdogPi

The forum outage messed up all previously existing curly quotes.

If the OP changes the title of the first post, it will be fixed.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Molandfreak

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 26, 2023, 07:36:27 AM
If I-41 wasn't extended to Illinois, US-41 would be signed instead. It really is harmless and not a big deal.
Agreed. I don't have any issue with it going to Illinois, I'm just skeptical of the claim that people are going to start using it as the primary reference for the corridor south of Milwaukee.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Alex

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2023, 11:50:29 AM
The forum outage messed up all previously existing curly quotes.

If the OP changes the title of the first post, it will be fixed.
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 29, 2023, 11:48:41 AM
Why has the subject heading been changed to "Plain green "Wisconsin"  signs at the border"? It should be "Plain green Wisconsin signs at the border".

This was the first title that I fixed, but there's still a botched character after the right quote that the query didn't include.
The original post from Peter had Wisconsin in quotes.

hobsini2

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 29, 2023, 08:34:18 AM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on September 26, 2023, 10:42:32 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 15, 2023, 09:06:52 AM
Quote from: midwesternroadguy on September 15, 2023, 05:59:43 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 28, 2023, 07:39:54 PM
Those wooden signs look real dated IMO.

They're a classic.  Sometimes it's not worth changing a sense of place just for an updated look.

Look at Minnesota.  They changed their state welcome signs in the '80s to those god awful, simplistic, modern ones that MNDOT landscape architects referred to as the "big uglies" .  Now they have something somewhat better, even if the font is a bit swirly.  My point is that to change something just to change it, isn't always an improvement. 

They're classic - and ugly. A 3 year old's drawing would be better.

That might be extreme:

Brutal.
Personally I always liked those wooden signs.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

TheHighwayMan3561

They would look a lot better without the stupid bottom plaque. They were a dumb pet project of the previous governor's adminstration. The current governor's administration should have just removed them rather than swapping those out for the governor's name.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GeekJedi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2023, 01:52:35 PM
They would look a lot better without the stupid bottom plaque. They were a dumb pet project of the previous governor's adminstration. The current governor's administration should have just removed them rather than swapping those out for the governor's name.

That's been part of the sign since at least the early 70's.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 03, 2023, 06:58:57 PM

I won't argue with you on that then, but I guess those plaques weren't on the Hudson welcome sign I would see most frequently as I have no memory of those plaques until the previous administration with its kitschy political slogan.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 03, 2023, 10:27:43 PM

I won't argue with you on that then, but I guess those plaques weren't on the Hudson welcome sign I would see most frequently as I have no memory of those plaques until the previous administration with its kitschy political slogan.

It has mainly been used to stroke the ego of whoever is the current governor.

Mike

WisJohn

Quote from: mgk920 on December 04, 2023, 02:53:30 AM

Mike

The only time they didn't have the bottom portion in the last number of years was when Scott McCallum was governor from 2001-2003.

GeekJedi

Mike

No, it's mainly used as a Governor's welcome to visitors. I'm pretty sure that this is low on the list of "ego boosters".

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 04, 2023, 05:54:40 PM

Mike

No, it's mainly used as a Governor's welcome to visitors. I'm pretty sure that this is low on the list of "ego boosters".
"Open For Business" is an ego boost - one that failed for the implementor of that.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

tdindy88

As a visitor to Wisconsin, why the hell do I need to know who the governor is? I get they may want to "welcome" me to the state, but what about the rest of you? Don't you want to welcome me as well? I prefer stuff like "the people welcome you" or something similar. Or better yet, just say Welcome to xxx.

This just hits a nerve for me (a small one albeit.) I've never understood the practicality for announcing the leaders of a community on these signs. For all the many, many, many cities that have to tell me who their mayor is, WHY? Same things for states that have to put the governor's name up on it. It's useless information for the traveler. If you already live there then you probably already know your leaders and if you're visiting, why does it matter? You aren't voting in those elections.

"Open for business" is just as useless. As opposed to what? You're closed and telling people to get lost?

And don't worry Wisconsin, your wooden welcome signs are pretty cool. Simple, a shape of the state and a mention of your three "industries." Nothing completely wrong about any of that.

peterj920

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 05, 2023, 04:32:12 AM
As a visitor to Wisconsin, why the hell do I need to know who the governor is? I get they may want to "welcome" me to the state, but what about the rest of you? Don't you want to welcome me as well? I prefer stuff like "the people welcome you" or something similar. Or better yet, just say Welcome to xxx.

This just hits a nerve for me (a small one albeit.) I've never understood the practicality for announcing the leaders of a community on these signs. For all the many, many, many cities that have to tell me who their mayor is, WHY? Same things for states that have to put the governor's name up on it. It's useless information for the traveler. If you already live there then you probably already know your leaders and if you're visiting, why does it matter? You aren't voting in those elections.

"Open for business" is just as useless. As opposed to what? You're closed and telling people to get lost?

And don't worry Wisconsin, your wooden welcome signs are pretty cool. Simple, a shape of the state and a mention of your three "industries." Nothing completely wrong about any of that.

Illinois stopped putting the governor on the sign after Rod Blagojevich and now it's says "From the People of Illinois." I guess they're afraid that another scandal could hit.

FightingIrish

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 04, 2023, 08:28:41 PM

Mike

"Open For Business" is an ego boost - one that failed for the implementor of that.
The previous governor, Scott Walker, added that.

Blew up in his face with that whole FoxConn fiasco.

GeekJedi

Mike

What they really need instead is this:

Next Kwik Trip: 1 MI
Next Culvers: 1 MI

hobsini2

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 09, 2023, 12:34:44 PM

Mike

Next Piggly Wiggly 3 mi
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

SSOWorld

Mike

distances measured in Michigans like ISTHA I see.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GeekJedi

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 09, 2023, 02:56:16 PM

Mike

distances measured in Michigans like ISTHA I see.

The question is if it's metric Michigans or imperial Michigans.

JoePCool14

Quote from: hobsini2 on December 09, 2023, 01:41:58 PM

Mike

Next Piggly Wiggly 3 mi

First Location to Purchase New Glarus: 1 mi

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

boilerup25

I've seen the plain green "Wisconsin" signs at the border when I drove I-90 into Wisconsin, and I also thought those signs were underwhelming compared to what I'm used to seeing at state lines. The sign at the opposite direction (entering Illinois) seems to have a little more flair, though. I just wonder why Wisconsin chose such an underwhelming entrance sign, even for large interstates.

hobsini2

Quote from: boilerup25 on March 07, 2024, 11:05:46 PM
I've seen the plain green "Wisconsin" signs at the border when I drove I-90 into Wisconsin, and I also thought those signs were underwhelming compared to what I'm used to seeing at state lines. The sign at the opposite direction (entering Illinois) seems to have a little more flair, though. I just wonder why Wisconsin chose such an underwhelming entrance sign, even for large interstates.

Actually, I think the green signs are just for the exact point you hit the state line. The big brown cutouts are usually right by the Welcome Centers.

peterj920

I just checked street view for an example of what I saw that inspired this topic at Wis 67 and the plain green "Wisconsin" sign has been replaced with the blue sign similar to the old ones. Only differences is that the state is completely inside the sign and no partial outline and it's aluminum as Wisconsin no longer uses wooden signs. Here's a link from streetview.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UFx3g5iz7ddi2UF59?g_st=ic

JREwing78

Quote from: JoePCool14 on December 10, 2023, 08:21:17 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on December 09, 2023, 01:41:58 PM

Next Piggly Wiggly 3 mi

First Location to Purchase New Glarus: 1 mi

Next cheese shop: 500 FT

In the other direction, just across the border:
Weed shop: Exits 1, 2, 3, 4, ...

Of course, all the billboards in the last 4 hours of driving have been for over-the-border weed shops.

hobsini2

Quote from: peterj920 on March 14, 2024, 12:14:23 AM
I just checked street view for an example of what I saw that inspired this topic at Wis 67 and the plain green "Wisconsin" sign has been replaced with the blue sign similar to the old ones. Only differences is that the state is completely inside the sign and no partial outline and it's aluminum as Wisconsin no longer uses wooden signs. Here's a link from streetview.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/UFx3g5iz7ddi2UF59?g_st=ic
I think those look good for the non-Interstate entry points. Clean. Simple.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.