News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Madison Area

Started by peterj920, February 24, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

A 2nd entrance to Epic is currently being constructed. County PD is being expanded to Country View Rd where there will be a new signal and entrance. I'm guessing a new road is going to be constructed from the interchange into the new west entrance.

The Ghostbuster

SSOWorld

Quote from: peterj920 on November 28, 2023, 02:38:42 PM
A 2nd entrance to Epic is currently being constructed. County PD is being expanded to Country View Rd where there will be a new signal and entrance. I'm guessing a new road is going to be constructed from the interchange into the new west entrance.
I presume you work there.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

peterj920

Quote from: SSOWorld on November 28, 2023, 08:57:44 PM
Quote from: peterj920 on November 28, 2023, 02:38:42 PM
I presume you work there.

No, just live nearby and use PD to get to US 18/US 151 on my Driftless Adventures.

The Ghostbuster

The CTH PD has had some massive upgrades over the years. Previously, the four-lane roadway narrowed back to two lanes just west of Maple Grove Dr. Since then, there has been a lot of development, thus more of CTH PD has had to be expanded to four lanes. This includes the construction of a single-point intersection at the CTH-PD/CTH-M intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0164118,-89.5325887,497m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu. I wouldn't be surprised if CTH-PD is eventually expanded to four lanes all the way to US 18/151.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 30, 2023, 01:23:25 PM
The CTH PD has had some massive upgrades over the years. Previously, the four-lane roadway narrowed back to two lanes just west of Maple Grove Dr. Since then, there has been a lot of development, thus more of CTH PD has had to be expanded to four lanes. This includes the construction of a single-point intersection at the CTH-PD/CTH-M intersection: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0164118,-89.5325887,497m/data=!3m1!1e3?entry=ttu. I wouldn't be surprised if CTH-PD is eventually expanded to four lanes all the way to US 18/151.

That intersection is weird. PD westbound gets to free flow under County M but PD east has to stop at a light. I doubt PD is going to be made 4 lanes to US 18/US 151. The County G/Dairyridge Rd interchange is being upgraded and will serve traffic heading to Epic from Mt. Horeb.

The Ghostbuster

I'm sure there would have been a free-flow lane constructed in the eastbound direction as well, had it not been for the substation located at the southeast corner of the CTH-PD/CTH-M intersection. The substation probably could have been relocated, and the power lines moved, but neither were.

The Ghostbuster

They are presently installing a traffic signal at the intersection of East Washington Ave. and Melvin Ct./Rethke Ave. Installation isn't complete yet, but when it is completed and fully operational, the flashing crossing signals at the intersection will undoubtedly be removed: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1094381,-89.3357211,3a,75y,224.86h,83.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNH8vSP9yYrTtyjMtfafEVA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 12, 2023, 10:42:37 PM
They are presently installing a traffic signal at the intersection of East Washington Ave. and Melvin Ct./Rethke Ave. Installation isn't complete yet, but when it is completed and fully operational, the flashing crossing signals at the intersection will undoubtedly be removed: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1094381,-89.3357211,3a,75y,224.86h,83.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNH8vSP9yYrTtyjMtfafEVA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu.

Because E. Washington can always use more traffic lights. More people going to the Geisha House? :-D

The Ghostbuster

The traffic signal is being installed as part of the BRT project that will open in late 2024. Other non-signalized intersections along the route's corridor are getting signals as well.

midwesternroadguy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 19, 2023, 02:16:15 PM
The traffic signal is being installed as part of the BRT project that will open in late 2024. Other non-signalized intersections along the route's corridor are getting signals as well.
How many stoplights are being installed as part of the BRT?  Looks like they'll be at Sheboygan Ave and Whitney Way, Sheboygan and Segoe Road, E. Wash at Melvin/Rethke.  Any others?

The Ghostbuster

I'd suggest going to the City of Madison website and clicking on the Bus Rapid Transit page to learn more about where new traffic signals are being erected within the BRT corridor (and the entire project in general).

mgk920

Isn't that 'BRT' thing a sort of 'poor man's' rubber tire version of a steel rail tram system that would be commonly found in many European cities?  IIRC, the same thing is being done in the Milwaukee area.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Comparing US cities with European cities is really comparing apples to oranges. The land mass of Europe is similar to the entire land mass of the United States, and their cities are closer together. That's probably why rail seems to work better there as opposed to here. The northeastern portion of the United States is probably the only part of the country where rail transport between cities would work as well as in Europe. I think buses get a very bad rap. Personally, I strongly prefer buses to trains.

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 14, 2024, 11:21:49 PM
Comparing US cities with European cities is really comparing apples to oranges. The land mass of Europe is similar to the entire land mass of the United States, and their cities are closer together. That's probably why rail seems to work better there as opposed to here. The northeastern portion of the United States is probably the only part of the country where rail transport between cities would work as well as in Europe. I think buses get a very bad rap. Personally, I strongly prefer buses to trains.

I was typing about local tram/transit systems, not intercity systems.

Mike

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on February 14, 2024, 11:14:56 PM
Isn't that 'BRT' thing a sort of 'poor man's' rubber tire version of a steel rail tram system that would be commonly found in many European cities?  IIRC, the same thing is being done in the Milwaukee area.

I liken BRT to street-running light rail.  Same methodology with the stops using elevated platforms and displays telling you when the next vehicle arrives.  Same type of spacing between stops.  Same use of signal prioritization.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

The Ghostbuster

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 16, 2024, 01:15:41 PM
State St.'s two bus rapid transit stations begin construction on Monday: https://www.wmtv15news.com/2024/02/16/state-street-bus-rapid-transit-stations-begin-construction/.

"State Street" and "rapid transit" sounds like an oxymoron, especially when it's Badger game day. :)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

peterj920

There's going to be a new Perry St overpass across The Beltline that was announced today. The new bridge will be built just to the west of the US 14/US 151 Interchange.

The Ghostbuster

The madison.com story (https://madison.com/news/local/government-politics/madison-beltline-overpass-grant/article_72d00040-e150-11ee-b071-2f49a7537639.html) is paywalled, so it can't be accessed. While I welcome new grade-separations across the Beltline, there doesn't seem to be enough space to build an overpass at Perry St. The frontage roads are too close to the mainline lanes, and the eastbound off-ramp to US 14 East/US 151 North. How would they manage to construct an overpass without lowering the road (Beltline), or taking out the church and motels surrounding Perry St.?

SEWIGuy

I guess that's what the planning grant is studying.

triplemultiplex

As long as they leave enough room under it so the beltline ramps to Park and Fish Hatch can be braided in the future.  Those two interchanges are too close together to just rely on aux lanes.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

peterj920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 15, 2024, 11:31:31 AM
As long as they leave enough room under it so the beltline ramps to Park and Fish Hatch can be braided in the future.  Those two interchanges are too close together to just rely on aux lanes.

The Fish Hatchery/Todd Dr/Seminole Hwy/Verona Rd is the worst sequence on The Beltline. Traveling westbound that's where all the backups are.

TheCatalyst31

Quote from: peterj920 on March 16, 2024, 09:41:51 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 15, 2024, 11:31:31 AM

The Fish Hatchery/Todd Dr/Seminole Hwy/Verona Rd is the worst sequence on The Beltline. Traveling westbound that's where all the backups are.

That's less because of the exits being close together and more because that's a choke point so it gets the most traffic.

JREwing78

Quote from: peterj920 on March 14, 2024, 02:18:00 AM
There's going to be a new Perry St overpass across The Beltline that was announced today. The new bridge will be built just to the west of the US 14/US 151 Interchange.

From the DOT press release: "The funding is aimed at reconnecting communities that were cut off by transportation infrastructure decades ago, leaving entire neighborhoods without direct access to opportunity, like schools, jobs, medical offices and places of worship."

Yeah, this is NOT a "cut off" community. This is a light commercial/industrial district that is separated from a mixed commercial/residential area by a highway. It's a stupid location to try to cram in another vehicle overpass, and it won't do a damn thing for the folks who live there. What it *might* do is make the area south of the Beltline more viable for redevelopment - and I suspect that's ultimately the City's goal, press releases be damned.

It's easily a $10-15 million project for a vehicle bridge to connect the two sides, only one of which has an appreciable residential population - nobody lives in the City of Madison section south of the Beltline. Both areas already have ample ways to get in and out by car. Not to mention, they'll need to grab a bunch of property on both sides of the Beltline to put this bridge in there.

Take out the slum motels on each side of the highway the most expensive way possible! Do eeet!!!

If we're merely talking about a pedestrian and bike overpass, that makes a lot more sense. There is a dearth of options to safely cross the Beltline as a pedestrian or cyclist, and this would provide a viable way into the City from the Capital City bike trail or neighborhood farther south in Fitchburg. It can be done without nearly the amount of disruption or property acquisition as a vehicle overpass.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.