News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Quote from: SidS1045 on August 18, 2015, 04:30:12 PM
Massachusetts had them too.  They were signed as "Begin Measured Mile" and "End Measured Mile."

When I was first driving, I remember seeing a few areas where they were installed.  A few were "sponsored" by AAA, as they had their logo on them.

iBallasticwolf2

The "Cody Road Closed when flashing" sign seems unique in its own way.

Both of these looks a decent age.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

A very specific intersecting-roads warning sign in Puyallup, Wash:

Billy F 1988

Is it me, or does that sign remind me too much of Yellow Book's old hand logo from years ago? Looks pretty painful, too.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

PHLBOS

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on August 20, 2015, 12:25:26 AM
Is it me, or does that sign remind me too much of Yellow Book's old hand logo from years ago? Looks pretty painful, too.

Let Your Fingers Do the Walking.  :sombrero:
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SignGeek101

My apologies if this sign is a 'typical' sign. I've only been to the US three times, so don't be too harsh  :) The numerals aren't series D/E. Found on I-81 northbound close to the border.

Interesting US Speed Limit Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

noelbotevera

Quote from: jakeroot on August 19, 2015, 09:04:30 PM

This is where all of the explosive diarrhea happens in public. At least the stink is not facing us right now, right?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

cl94

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 20, 2015, 02:58:13 PM
My apologies if this sign is a 'typical' sign. I've only been to the US three times, so don't be too harsh  :) The numerals aren't series D/E. Found on I-81 northbound close to the border.

by Sign Geek, on Flickr

Oh, no. That's not typical. I've seen bad stuff come from local municipalities in New York and this is up there, even though it's from a toll authority (which typically get things right here).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on August 20, 2015, 07:12:16 PM
it's from a toll authority (which typically get things right here).
Go take a look at some of the monstrosities the MTA erects.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2015, 12:45:32 PM

Typically better than that crap
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on August 21, 2015, 12:46:51 PM
Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2015, 12:45:32 PM

Typically better than that crap
This sign makes me want to throw up... plus they seem to be allergic to exit tabs too:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cu2010

Oh, no. That's not typical. I've seen bad stuff come from local municipalities in New York and this is up there, even though it's from a toll authority (which typically get things right here).

That's actually an old, old font still seen all over Jefferson County. It's hardly the only one.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 19, 2015, 09:04:30 PM

MassDPW used to have a whole series of special curve warning signs that showed intersecting streets - they had complex alphabet suffixes like W1-2aXL, W1-2cBL, etc..  The principal differences in the old MassDPW signs from the sign depicted here was that the main street was thicker, and the top of the main street had an arrowhead.  The entire MassDPW series, which lasted into the 2000s, was discontinued when the MUTCD adopted the W1-10 curve warning sign - current MassDOT practice is to designate any and all such "intersection within curve" signs as W1-10, regardless of the number or type of intersecting streets depicted on the sign, and to give the layout for a specific location on the sign summary sheet.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

SignGeek101

Took a picture of this near my house the other day. On Private property of course..

US Style Metric Speed Limit Sign
by Sign Geek, on Flickr

These guys are from the 2003 MUTCD. Metric speed limit signs are not in the 2009 version, and you won't find these guys anywhere in the US (with the exception of I-87 southbound at Exit 42 in New York).

freebrickproductions

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 23, 2015, 12:21:43 AM
Took a picture of this near my house the other day. On Private property of course..

by Sign Geek, on Flickr

These guys are from the 2003 MUTCD. Metric speed limit signs are not in the 2009 version, and you won't find these guys anywhere in the US (with the exception of I-87 southbound at Exit 42 in New York).
Seeing as that property is owned by BNSF, which is an American railroad, it doesn't surprise me that the sign is from the US MUTCD.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

machias

Quote from: cu2010 on August 21, 2015, 05:35:15 PM

That's actually an old, old font still seen all over Jefferson County. It's hardly the only one.

I was going to remark that Jefferson County DPW has used that font on everything for ever. Even new county route markers are occasionally using that type of lettering. It's really odd.

jakeroot

Quote from: KEK Inc. on August 23, 2015, 05:40:55 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on August 12, 2015, 07:27:27 PM
Probably contractor-installed. Besides the white guide sign, Washington doesn't currently use this style of gantry:

http://i.imgur.com/Xd0FAGt.jpg

I saw this the other day while going to Redmond. 

That gantry is used quite a bit in Clark County.  SR-500 and I-5 sports them.

Oh, I know. I remember you showing me these a few months ago. That's why I was trying to say that they don't currently use them. I know did at one time (briefly, I assume).

Rothman

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 20, 2015, 02:58:13 PM

by Sign Geek, on Flickr

This font is also used on the speed limit signs along North Mansion Road near Duanesburg, NY.  I'll post a photo once my phone cooperates.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 23, 2015, 12:21:43 AM

by Sign Geek, on Flickr

There's also one on NY 812 northbound on the Ogdensburg-Prescott Bridge.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kkt on August 18, 2015, 04:59:37 PM
Quote from: noelbotevera on August 18, 2015, 02:56:53 PM
Quote from: SignGeek101 on August 18, 2015, 02:56:04 PM
Quote from: Big John on August 18, 2015, 02:11:28 PM
^^ Wisconsin used to have something similar with small mile check signs (for 4-10 miles) on certain expressways prior to the standard mile markers being installed on those roads.

Perhaps these ones were installed prior to the kilometre markers here. There are kilometre markers there, so why this sign?
I-5 in San Diego near the border had them, but they were in miles. I forgot what their purpose was.

They're for calibrating your odometer and speedometer, for people who have installed nonstandard size tires.  When you complete the measured mile in 60 seconds at an indicated 60 mph, you've calibrated it correctly.  It's easiest with the passenger operating the stopwatch.

There is one neat here explicitly signed as being for the purpose of calibrating taxicab meters.

vtk

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on August 05, 2015, 08:31:42 AM
Forgive me if this is normal practice nowdays, (I don't think it is) but this KEEP RIGHT tab for the Mitchell Avenue Sign seems very unusual.
iBallasticwolf2
DISCLAIMER: The OH 562 sign IS NOT a canadite for this thread.

This is due to construction.  Just downstream of this sign, the left lane splits off and runs on the other side of the center barrier for about ¾ mile.  It rejoins the other lanes just upstream from the actual exit, and ODOT doesn't want people from that left lane cutting across to the exit, so here they instruct drivers wanting that exit not to be on that side of the split.  There are also temporary signs saying "Mitchell Ave KEEP RIGHT" as far as 3 miles upstream from here.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: vdeane on August 21, 2015, 01:00:32 PM
This sign makes me want to throw up... plus they seem to be allergic to exit tabs too:

Hey, no photographs on the Verrazano, terrorist!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.