News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who has high blood pressure?

Started by golden eagle, March 01, 2015, 10:09:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

Mine is slightly high but not as bad as that.  Lisinopril, yes.  Less salt and avoiding high salt semi-prepared foods.  Exercise, even just a walk every day.

cjk374

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 01, 2015, 05:56:14 PM
I was actually very worried I had it starting recently (and it didn't seem too surprising, as I eat terrible - one time I had 5 sodas in one sitting, have literally purposefully exercised 1 or 2 times in the last several months, and due to various things, stress levels have been at an all-time high), as I was having several symptoms. But I went to the doctor recently (actually just a few days ago), and I found out I thankfully don't have it, though my blood pressure is a little on the high side. I'm actually not very overweight, but in the past several months I have gained tons of weight very fast, and am starting to push the borders of a healthy weight, especially since I have practically no muscle. Prayers are out to you golden eagle, and anyone else who has high blood pressure. A stroke or heart disease is indeed a very bad fate.

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 01, 2015, 10:35:04 PM
@Pete, yeah, I seriously need to change my habits or else something really bad is going to happen in the future.

Also, whenever I bike or run (when I do exercise, roughly the only things I do) I try to make the whole thing into a little driving simulator (the roads themselves are interstates, and the sidewalks are two-lane roads - my driveway is usually either a four-lane arterial with a center turn lane or an invisible median (visible in my imagination though of course) - and sometimes for even more variety I'll go as far as having the sidewalks parallel to the road be frontage roads, or even a bound of an interstate that has a wooded median). I am never allowed to leave my gated neighborhood walking or biking, so I can't really actually micro-roadgeek on the main roads, but I do what I can with the few roads and many sidewalks in my neighborhood  :-P

If it wasn't for what my crazy road-obsessed mind can come up with, exercise would be a crazily dull chore for me. Though with that motivation, I could've exercised a whole lot more in the past several months (last year I biked and/or walked at least a good bit every week), but I haven't due to my poor diet that keeps me weak and sucks out my endurance, as well as it being cold (but of course that's only been an obstacle the past few months), and for other reasons. I hope once spring comes around I can get back on track with the exercise. I could also cut it down with the fried food galore, insane portions of sweets, and definitely the soda. I love plenty of healthy stuff like salads (if done right), it's just I cant get enough of the unhealthy stuff.

Quote from: Zeffy on March 01, 2015, 11:50:46 PM
Somehow, with my lack of exercise, horrible diet, and other bad lifestyle choices, I have extremely good blood pressure (can't remember the exact numbers...). I know, I should probably change the bad things before that comes around and bites me in the ass.

The 2 of you have an advantage at the moment:  age.

As many times as I tell people, "I refuse to age", or "I intend to live to 120", or even "I feel the same as I did when I was 20"... I know deep down that being over 40 now means my body doesn't function the same as it did 20 years ago.

The younger you are, the easier it is to reverse the bad effects that bad habits have on your body.  Start the changes you need to make now before another 20 years go by.

I went to have my ticker inspected today.  My bp was 160/100 (thanks to an ass chewing from the missus over the phone on the way to the doctor...at least that's what I keep blaming it on). The doctor wouldn't even let me run the stress test or any other of the tests I took a lil over 5 years ago.  Instead, he ordered blood work and told me he would contact me tomorrow with the results.  I had my annual bloodwork done 6 months ago, and my cholesterol numbers were good.  I also had a dizzy spell in either October or November due to LOW bp.  I'm trying not to stress out over this between now and tomorrow's results.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

texaskdog

Mine was high which I found out at the eye doctor.  I'm low stress and never salt anything and don't drink much, but turned out the Buddig sandwich meat I eat was high sodium.  But I stopped eating it and still have the problem so I gave up, which always makes the doctors mad.  One doctor gave me pills but makes me go in all the time and I have to pay the full price of the appointment so I stopped.  I just don't care enough.  Of course it was never 180/133.  We hike & bike quite a bit to, it's just going to have to be who I am.

golden eagle

I've made an appointment to see a doctor to check on my blood pressure. Since I have made changes in my diet and getting more exercise, I expect my numbers to be much lower. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quote from: texaskdog on March 03, 2015, 12:49:23 PM
Mine was high which I found out at the eye doctor.  I'm low stress and never salt anything and don't drink much, but turned out the Buddig sandwich meat I eat was high sodium.  But I stopped eating it and still have the problem so I gave up, which always makes the doctors mad.  One doctor gave me pills but makes me go in all the time and I have to pay the full price of the appointment so I stopped.  I just don't care enough.  Of course it was never 180/133.  We hike & bike quite a bit to, it's just going to have to be who I am.

Deli meats are loaded with sodium. Not only the prepackaged ones in the grocery, but look at the menu at Jason's Deli. On some of the things they serve, you'll come out better eating at McDonald's. I do have some lower-sodium turkey breast slices I make for lunch. At 290mg, it's a lot less than most other meats. I only make one sandwich with one slice of meat with lettuce, and I have fruit with it and sometimes a salad I make at home. 

cjk374

My doctor put me on the generic form of Cozaar (bp med).  The night before, my bp was 178/104.  I took my 1st pill at 3 p.m. yesterday, and 4 1/2 hours later, it was down to 144/92. 

I will not stay on these pills forever.  I intend to get off of these things by the end of the year.  I have changed my eating habits and I am keeping up with my food intake and all appropriate numbers on myfitnesspal.com.  You will be amazed as to what you are consuming on a daily basis as far as calories, fat, protein, sugars, and salt...as long as you're honest about the information you put in the counter.

roadman

Have had high blood pressure for over twenty years (it's partially genetic).  Although I've been on different medications for it in that time, there was one big complication I didn't expect.  Three years ago, I went to the ER with acute shortness of breath.  My kidneys had shut down, and I was diagnosed with end stage renal disease.  Been on dialysis ever since, and am currently on the transplant list.

Although I've adapted to living with kidney disease (dialysis, medications, and diet changes), it's still something I would never wish on anyone.  So, yes, you should get your blood pressure checked and under control.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

golden eagle

I got a packet in the mail re: my recent health screening results. My HDL (good cholsterol) and LDL (bad) are at good levels, though the HDL can stand to go higher (it's barely inside the good level). The LDL is 20 points below the maximum, so I'm doing good there, too. However, my triglycerides are off the charts! Since I have changed my diet and getting much more exercise, I expect that number to come down.

J N Winkler

Just wanted to add:  included sodium is high not just in deli meats and other highly processed products, but also in apparently healthy things like frozen chopped spinach.  As a result, the spinach soup I fix with it is barely DASH-safe despite my using low-sodium chicken broth.

In the summer it is fairly hard to prepare cold soups (such as, say, a kale and cucumber gazpacho) that are palatable and not high in salt.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

golden eagle

This is true. The Kroger brand salad has about 10mg of sodium per serving. Since it's such a small amount, I don't make it a major concern. I don't really do salad dressing, but I've discovered peanut oil as a good alternative. Still, I could try and make my own salads.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 06, 2015, 01:24:11 PM
Just wanted to add:  included sodium is high not just in deli meats and other highly processed products, but also in apparently healthy things like frozen chopped spinach.  As a result, the spinach soup I fix with it is barely DASH-safe despite my using low-sodium chicken broth.

In the summer it is fairly hard to prepare cold soups (such as, say, a kale and cucumber gazpacho) that are palatable and not high in salt.

I found "unsalted" broth recently (as opposed to low or reduced) and have been using that.  A couple of brands are stocked around here.

It's important to note that "reduced sodium" is not the same as "low sodium," which has to meet a lower threshold. 

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

golden eagle

I do have quite encouraging news. I went to see a doctor this morning and my BP has gone down quite a bit. It's down to a 140/100. That's still a little high (normal is 120/80) and puts me on the borderline of prehypertension and stage 1 hypertension. However, it's much better than what it was. I also had blood work done and they found that my blood sugar has come down significantly (from 139 to 106; normal is 85-99) and my tryglycerides took a tumble, too. It went from 632 (I know--HOLY CRAP  :wow: :wow:) to 231 (normal is below 150). My good & bad cholesterol were good standing in the initial screening, but my tryglycerides made my total cholesterol high. It went from 253 to 180.

I was prescribed medication to get the BP down even further. I'm really proud of myself for what I've done on my part. I didn't go on a fad diet of shakes made of wheat grass or take quack snake oil pills that promises washboard abs overnight. Just good old fashioned exercise and changing my diet.

cjk374

Quote from: golden eagle on March 12, 2015, 09:42:53 PM
I do have quite encouraging news. I went to see a doctor this morning and my BP has gone down quite a bit. It's down to a 140/100. That's still a little high (normal is 120/80) and puts me on the borderline of prehypertension and stage 1 hypertension. However, it's much better than what it was. I also had blood work done and they found that my blood sugar has come down significantly (from 139 to 106; normal is 85-99) and my tryglycerides took a tumble, too. It went from 632 (I know--HOLY CRAP  :wow: :wow:) to 231 (normal is below 150). My good & bad cholesterol were good standing in the initial screening, but my tryglycerides made my total cholesterol high. It went from 253 to 180.

I was prescribed medication to get the BP down even further. I'm really proud of myself for what I've done on my part. I didn't go on a fad diet of shakes made of wheat grass or take quack snake oil pills that promises washboard abs overnight. Just good old fashioned exercise and changing my diet.

Congrats on the good news Eagle!  Keep up the good work!  :clap: :clap:

golden eagle

F350

I don't. But 180? Jesus fuck, how obese are you?

I am 35 and I am in perfect health.

Tip to everyone: abandon the western diet.

cjk374

Quote from: F350 on March 17, 2015, 07:52:56 PM
I don't. But 180? Jesus fuck, how obese are you?

I am 35 and I am in perfect health.

Tip to everyone: abandon the western diet.

You don't have to be obese to have high blood pressure. It can be hereditary.

Congrats on your perfect health at age 35...word of advice:  if you're not careful, it will slip away like grains of sand slipping through your fingers.   :eyebrow:

JMoses24

I did have it for a period after my surgery. I was at the doctor today and it was 126/73, which is much better than it was.

golden eagle

I'm not obese at all. I weighed 177 at the time of the initial screening. I've since lost ten lbs.

golden eagle

More good news: I went to the doctor and my BP continues to go down. It's now at 135/88. That's still a bit high (pre-hypertension stage), but definitely a lot lower than where I was just two months ago. I think it could've been lower, but I didn't go to the gym much the last couple of weeks.

LM117

I know this is a huge thread bump, but I also recently started having BP issues, starting last December when my BP suddenly spiked to 183/112. I felt it too, since it caused me chest pain and I came close to passing out. I haven't had any spikes that high since then, but I still had spikes periodically until January when I was prescribed propranolol (aka Inderal) 20mg to take twice a day (9:30am & 10:00pm). It was primarily given to me for the premature ventricular contractions (PVC's) and sinus tachycardia (high heart rate) that I've been dealing with since 2013, but I was told that it would also help lower blood pressure. The propranolol seemed to do the trick.

Fast forward to March. The PVC's came back with a vengeance and my BP started rising again, particularly the diastolic (bottom number). My cardiologist told me to take the propranolol 3 times a day instead of two. That worked until a week ago when, again, my diastolic BP started spiking into the 90's again. Every time it goes up, I get nauseated, have minor chest pain, and get real short of breath. It gradually comes down on it's own, at which point my symptoms slowly go away. I'm still on propranolol, since it keeps my heart rate from going through the roof.

Every chest x-ray and CT scan I've had has come back normal. The EKG's I've had so far usually displays at least one or more of these readings: Incomplete Right Bundle Branch Block, Short QT Interval, Non-specific T-Wave Abnormality, or Right Ventricular Conduction Delay. Once in a while, it would read "Normal ECG" , but not often. The ER docs and my cardiologist have all said that my EKG's were fine and that I wasn't in dangerous territory. I did a 48-hour holter monitor in March and I was told that it didn't pick up anything disturbing. My primary doctor had ordered me a 24-hour urine test to check for pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumor) back in January to see if that was causing by BP issue. The test came back normal. Urinalysis came back normal, most (I'll explain in a second) of my blood work came back normal, including the troponin level and A1C. My last echocardiogram was in 2016, which was normal with 55% ejection fraction. I had a treadmill stress test last year, which was normal aside from the PVC's I had during recovery.

I was recently referred to a pulmonologist for my shortness of breath to see if there was an issue with my lungs that could be causing my BP spikes. The doctor did a pulmonary function test, which came back normal. He did a blood IGE Respiratory Profile (allergies), which came back normal. He also did a blood panel for Hypersensitive Pneumonitis. Most of the readings came back normal except for Penicillium Chrysogenum, which was slightly above normal. I've always been allergic to penicillin, so that was no surprise. The other abnormal reading was Aspergillus Fumigatus. Normal is 46.0 and below. My reading was 57.5. Because of that reading, my doctor ordered a CT scan of my chest back in March, which came back normal. My next follow-up, as well as a repeat pulmonary function test, is in June. He prescribed me a Symbicort inhaler, but my primary doctor and my cardiologist both advised me not to take it since it could reverse the effects of the propranolol. Apparently, Symbicort is made up of two different medications and one of them (I forget which) counteracts beta blockers. My pulmonologist knew that I was on propranolol when he prescribed Symbicort, which was puzzling to me and my other two docs.

Right now, I'm thinking about seeing my primary doctor to see if there is a low dose BP medication I can take along with the propranolol to get my diastolic BP under control, which has been causing me big problems. I've cut down on sodium and I usually drink water, but nothing I do seems to have any effect. I weigh 200lbs, though hardly anybody looking at me would ever guess I weigh that much unless I told them.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

Wow.  What a saga.  I hope the doctors are able to figure this mystery out for you.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LM117

Quote from: Rothman on May 28, 2019, 10:45:34 AM
Wow.  What a saga.  I hope the doctors are able to figure this mystery out for you.

Thanks. I damn sure got my fingers crossed. High BP sucks.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

ce929wax

I do and I take Lisinoprol and Prazosin for it.  Now it runs about 130/70-80. 

Max Rockatansky

I technically have pre-Hyper Tension but that's old because the definition has changed over time.  Two decades ago the same numbers were considered normal.  I usually exercise at minimum 10 hours and run 30-40 miles a week so its just something that has always run in my Mom's side of the family. 

Two years ago I also had a whole thing with irregular EKG readings.  It turns out my heart is so close to my chest wall from decades of running that it reads weird on an EKG.  The same thing happened back in 2015 and the doctors had the same conclusion.

SectorZ

While I am thankfully in the 115-125/75-85 range now, I've had times of high stress where it was as bad as 160/100. I've never been medicated but have been threatened that I should be if I didn't get it under control myself. Since I am fairly athletic, most any med would end my bicycling for life.

Also, once while hospitalized I was hooked up to a machine that took my BP every 15 minutes. It did it in the midst of vomiting and it was like 200/135, but was transient because I was puking my guts up. It was down to like 140/85 15 minutes later.

It can be resolved without meds, just make changes to your diet if you can improve on it, lose weight if you've got some to lose and exercise more.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.