News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Black Friday

Started by abefroman329, November 23, 2018, 07:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

I'm currently on the odyssey from hell trying to get a new car seat for my son at Target. I stood in line yesterday starting about 30 mins before the store opened and they were sold out by the time I found the spot where they were supposed to be (though apparently they only had two to begin with). Then I went to another Target which had them in stock according to the app, but they were nowhere to be found. Now I'm back at Target waiting for them to open in 25 minutes. At least this time I'm the second person in line and I know where they are.

I also went to Macy's and they had what I wanted (a new set of kitchen knives), but the store was packed.

Anyone else make any Black Friday trips?

hotdogPi

I avoid Black Friday.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

I hate Black Friday, although my wife did get an amazingly good deal on her wedding dress on Black Friday one year.

By the way, I suggest asking your friends for a hand-me-down child seat.  If you have friends who aren't planning to have any more children and theirs have recently outgrown a child seat, then there's a good chance they'd love to get rid of it for cheap and it still hasn't passed its expiration yet.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikeTheActuary

I observe "International Buy Nothing Day".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 23, 2018, 10:23:09 AM

Second that for me. 

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 09:47:59 AMBy the way, I suggest asking your friends for a hand-me-down child seat.  If you have friends who aren't planning to have any more children and theirs have recently outgrown a child seat, then there's a good chance they'd love to get rid of it for cheap and it still hasn't passed its expiration yet.
We did buy his infant carseat used, which I wasn't too crazy about, since we didn't know if it had been in an accident. The one I bought today was 50% off full price and should last for 10 years, so I'm happy with the deal I got.

I am not happy with myself for voting for stores opening on Thanksgiving with my wallet, though, or engaging in a morally ambiguous move to get the carseat.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 11:20:26 AM
or engaging in a morally ambiguous move to get the carseat

Hey, for all you know, she was just faking being handicapped, trying to get sympathy from the other shoppers.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 11:25:15 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 11:20:26 AM
or engaging in a morally ambiguous move to get the carseat

Hey, for all you know, she was just faking being handicapped, trying to get sympathy from the other shoppers.
Haha. It wasn't THAT bad...

jon daly

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2018, 11:02:38 AM

Second that for me. 

I have to gas up today, but I sympathize. I believe in regulated capitalism, but consumerism is not one of my favorite things.

formulanone

I typically avoid shopping today. Then again, we're almost done.

When I worked at a grocery store, this day was traditionally the slowest day of the year.

KEVIN_224

I worked at a Stop & Shop in CT on this day a couple of times. Compared to the 7 Black Fridays I worked at a Walmart one town over, it was definitely easier on me. Walmart being open on Thanksgiving Day was only being proposed when I was fired in 2010. I believe Maine prohibits big box stores from opening on that day.

1995hoo

I'm sitting at home with a cold that appeared yesterday morning. Only place I plan to go is next door to feed our neighbor's cat because she had to go out of town for a family issue.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on November 23, 2018, 02:42:50 PM
I worked at a Stop & Shop in CT on this day a couple of times. Compared to the 7 Black Fridays I worked at a Walmart one town over, it was definitely easier on me. Walmart being
open on Thanksgiving Day was only being proposed when I was fired in 2010. I believe Maine prohibits big box stores from opening on that day.
I really don't envy anyone working retail today or, worse, yesterday. I was shorter with some salespeople than I might have been otherwise over things that really weren't their fault.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jon daly on November 23, 2018, 11:42:43 AM

Second that for me. 

I have to gas up today, but I sympathize. I believe in regulated capitalism, but consumerism is not one of my favorite things.

Personally I'm just not a fan of crowds in general.  To a lesser degree I'm not exactly a fan of commercializing holidays.  So really there isn't much in this day for me outside of relaxing on the couch or going somewhere outdoors. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 23, 2018, 03:38:08 PM
To a lesser degree I'm not exactly a fan of commercializing holidays. 

Same here.  It's one of the reasons I like Thanksgiving so much.  Pretty much all people do is get together, have a banquet, and sit around talking.  If they take the "thanksgiving" part seriously, then it only encourages them to be grateful for what they already have instead of rushing out to buy more stuff.  If only Black Friday weren't the total opposite of that...
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 03:47:22 PM
To a lesser degree I'm not exactly a fan of commercializing holidays. 

Same here.  It's one of the reasons I like Thanksgiving so much.  Pretty much all people do is get together, have a banquet, and sit around talking.  If they take the "thanksgiving" part seriously, then it only encourages them to be grateful for what they already have instead of rushing out to buy more stuff.  If only Black Friday weren't the total opposite of that...
And if they're responsible about the turkey they buy (if they buy one at all).

7/8

I saw this on Reddit :-D

I'm not sure if I've ever shopped on Black Friday, but I have shopped on Boxing Day (a similar ordeal). I remember the sales at Best Buy being very lackluster (not worth the traffic!)

jon daly

Quote from: jon daly on November 23, 2018, 11:42:43 AM

Second that for me. 

Personally I'm just not a fan of crowds in general.  To a lesser degree I'm not exactly a fan of commercializing holidays.  So really there isn't much in this day for me outside of relaxing on the couch or going somewhere outdoors. 

I worked. But it wasn't stressful. A lot of folks weren't in and I came in a little late and was out by 2:15. Traffic was a breeze, too.

abefroman329

Quote from: 7/8 on November 23, 2018, 05:53:53 PM
I saw this on Reddit :-D

If you like that, I recommend following Literally Unbelievable on Facebook or Tumblr.

I was disappointed to see Black Friday is a thing in the UK now when I traveled there two years ago.

ce929wax

Other than a stop at Taco Bell for a non turkey lunch and to get gas, I have done nothing but play video games and work on a project.  I plan on playing hockey tonight and maybe watching a little TV.  Tomorrow, I will venture out to the dollar store for cat treats, some art supplies (I'm going to start drawing maps again), and part of Dad's Christmas present.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 05:06:56 PM
And if they're responsible about the turkey they buy

Would you mind explaining what that means?  I must be pretty dense.
Male pronouns, please.

Tonytone

Atleast gas prices are low!!! Thanks trump *pun*

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on November 23, 2018, 06:47:41 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on November 23, 2018, 05:06:56 PM
And if they're responsible about the turkey they buy

Would you mind explaining what that means?  I must be pretty dense.
As long as they don't buy one of those genetically-engineered monstrosities, pumped full of hormones and antibiotics. To me that's as crassly commercial as getting in a fistfight over a Betsy-Wetsy doll.

abefroman329

And I will say that it was a lot easier to not observe Black Friday when I was childless, and I spent a lot of time thinking about how to handle Black Friday when my son is old enough to want to buy something that's part of a sale, as I drove from Target to Target yesterday and today. Maybe it'll end up being an important lesson in bait-and-switch sales tactics.

I support the principled stances those who choose not to observe it are taking.

webny99

Black Friday is an awesome day, but not because of the shopping.

Instead, it's a low pressure day at work and therefore a good chance to catch up. Also great: the lack of traffic. Probably the least traffic of any non-holiday weekday of the entire year. Note that is specific to freeways, residential and rural areas; certainly not traffic-free near a mall or shopping center.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.