News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Things named for fictional characters

Started by empirestate, October 25, 2020, 01:05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: cbeach40 on October 26, 2020, 03:28:37 PM

Quote from: kphoger on October 26, 2020, 12:08:51 PM

Quote from: GaryV on October 26, 2020, 12:04:03 PM
Sorry, doesn't count.  Superman must be real, because Google had to blur his face.
:hmmm:

The statue is indeed real.  But that's not the title of the thread.

It is a joke that since Google's face blurring algorithm is intended to protect the privacy of real individuals and that the statue having its face blurred that implies that Superman is in fact a real person. The fact that it was a joke was made all the more clearer via the use of an animated "smiley" graphic, a common tactic used in discussion forums where verbal tone is not ascertained.   :nod:

Yes, I know.

Also, the license plate on the car nearby is a real person's face too.

:whip:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

empirestate

Quote from: skluth on October 25, 2020, 02:13:30 PM
There's also this neighborhood in San Antonio which has both a Beowulf St and Brigadoon St.

Brigadoon is a fictional place, rather than a character, but that could also be an interesting sub-category. Probably more common than characters, if I had to wager. (Lake Wobegon is also mentioned above.)

Quote from: Bruce on October 25, 2020, 08:04:58 PM
Local clown J.P. Patches has two things named for him in the Seattle area:

Hmm, another interesting case. Obviously that's not the performer's real name, and a clown portrayal is of course a characterization, albeit one that's associated with a specific real individual (though not necessarily, in all cases). That might be considered more of a "persona" than a "character", especially for those performers who use their real names and embody exaggerated versions of their ostensibly-real selves in their work (shock jocks and conspiracy theorists, that sort of thing).

Dirt Roads

From my old neck of the woods:  The Mothman Museum.  Wait a second, that statue overlooks Main Street along the Ohio River in Point Pleasant but the real version was a block further east overlooking WV-2/WV-62:
https://wchstv.com/news/local/man-photographs-creature-that-resembles-legendary-mothman-of-point-pleasant

briantroutman

I assume this cluster of a Snoopy Lane, Linus Court, and Peppermint Lane near Salem, Oregon is not merely an incredible coincidence.

mgk920

Without doing any farther digging, isn't the State of California named after a fictional work or a character in a fictional work?

Mike

NWI_Irish96

Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kphoger

Quote from: mgk920 on October 27, 2020, 04:04:25 PM
Without doing any farther digging, isn't the State of California named after a fictional work or a character in a fictional work?

Named after a fictional land, not a fictional character.  Though, in the most popular theory, that work of fiction also included a character whose name resembled that of the land.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

michravera

Quote from: empirestate on October 25, 2020, 01:05:43 PM
Passing by the Rip Van Winkle Bridge the other day, it made me wonder...what other roads, bridges, etc. are named for fictional characters?

(Publicly-controlled facilities only–for obvious reasons, let's exclude places like the Disney parks.)

One obvious sub-category will be streets and developments with names taken from legendary figures like Robin Hood, King Arthur and so on, who may or may not be real persons, but who are clearly so fictionalized as to be essentially fictional.

I will stay away from Las Vegas, Orlando, and Anaheim. Those who wish to grab low-hanging fruit may wish to explore a street index of those cities.

Scotts Valley, CA has "Santa's Village Rd"
Rachel, NV has "The Extraterrestrial Highway"
The three states of California (two in Mexico, one in US) are all named after a mythical character.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GaryV

Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2020, 11:18:03 PM
Santa Claus, Ind.

I hope there's no little kids reading this over their dad's shoulder.

US71

Dogpatch, Arkansas (renamed Marble Falls after the amusement park failed)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Quote from: GaryV on October 29, 2020, 09:17:25 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on October 28, 2020, 11:18:03 PM
Santa Claus, Ind.

I hope there's no little kids reading this over their dad's shoulder.

There's a Santa Claus, Georgia as well.

kphoger

While the modern-day Santa Claus is a fictional/legendary/mythical figure, such is based on the quite historical Saint Nicholas.  Kind of iffy.
Male pronouns, please.

DandyDan

MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.