Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Detroit - Removal of I-375

<< < (62/67) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: skluth on July 06, 2023, 12:49:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Flint1979 on July 05, 2023, 03:18:21 PM ---
--- Quote from: skluth on July 04, 2023, 03:01:31 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 04, 2023, 12:56:25 PM ---This will likely be a completely impractical and hair-brained idea, but once existing 375 is converted into a boulevard, the 375 designation should be shifted to the freeway connecting the Gordie Howe International Bridge with ON 401.

--- End quote ---

Getting off-topic here but if any number is used for the Gordie Howe Bridge it should be '9' or something like 975.

(Picture deleted)

--- End quote ---
Really? Why is this ramp to the bridge worthy of a route number? Knowing MDOT there isn't going to be a route number. MDOT isn't giving a ramp connecting to Canada a route number.

--- End quote ---

I said IF!! I agree no number is needed. But IF there were a number, it should honor Howe.

--- End quote ---
https://youtu.be/UaFl6CkA0mA

Molandfreak:

--- Quote from: cbeach40 on July 06, 2023, 01:18:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: skluth on July 06, 2023, 12:49:13 PM ---I said IF!! I agree no number is needed. But IF there were a number, it should honor Howe.

--- End quote ---

This has already been covered. No route number.

--- End quote ---
Nice job missing the point again…

vdeane:
Well, if that's the point, then perhaps there are better venues for this discussion.

Flint1979:

--- Quote from: GaryV on July 06, 2023, 10:01:11 AM ---I absolutely agree. No route number is needed for what will be essentially a long ramp with no exits (except maybe for those who work in customs, duty-free shop, etc.)

I could see MDOT putting up small blue "RAMP" signs though, like they have around other big intersections in metro Detroit. For example,

RAMP
I-75 to
Gordie Howe
Bridge

--- End quote ---
I think too especially needed would be signs that indicate that the exit takes you into Canada with maybe a No Reentry to the USA or something like that.

Flint1979:

--- Quote from: vdeane on July 06, 2023, 12:55:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: Flint1979 on July 06, 2023, 09:43:59 AM ---
--- Quote from: GaryV on July 06, 2023, 07:47:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: catch22 on July 05, 2023, 06:09:56 PM ---
--- Quote from: Flint1979 on July 05, 2023, 03:19:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: GaryV on July 04, 2023, 05:51:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Molandfreak on July 04, 2023, 04:42:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 04, 2023, 12:56:25 PM ---This will likely be a completely impractical and hair-brained idea, but once existing 375 is converted into a boulevard, the 375 designation should be shifted to the freeway connecting the Gordie Howe International Bridge with ON 401.

--- End quote ---
Why make it any more confusing than it needs to be?

--- End quote ---

And why would they put a Michigan-related highway number in Ontario? If that few hundred yards of highway between the bridge and 401 needs a number, just extend 401, except it isn't probably going to be all freeway.

--- End quote ---
Right. It's a ramp connecting to a bridge that's all it is.

--- End quote ---

Yup. The ramps to/from I-75 to the north edge of the bridge property will be about 1/2 mile long by my rough guess.  I think some folks have the impression that there's going to be some sort of longer connector road between the two but there's no room for one.

The US Port of Entry map at the bridge's web site shows this pretty well:

https://www.gordiehoweinternationalbridge.com/en/gallery#!nav-maps

--- End quote ---

We are talking 2 different things here. The roadway at the north end of the bridge, in Michigan, could be considered for a Michigan highway number (although unlikely).

However what was originally proposed in this sub-thread was to have the ramp on the south end of the bridge in Ontario numbered 375. That makes no sense whatsoever.

--- End quote ---
Having a route number of any kind makes no sense at all. There are four crossings between the US and Canada in Michigan, with this new  bridge it'll be five. The Blue Water and International bridges already have an Interstate highway leading up to the border so it makes sense there. Where it doesn't make any sense is in Detroit, with the Ambassador Bridge there are signs simply saying Bridge to Canada without a need for a route number, same with the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel having signs Tunnel to Canada. So I'm just wondering why we would need to put a route number on this bridge especially a number that has already been used in Detroit and will cause confusion. I don't see the point in it at all and don't think MDOT is going to waste their time making the leadup ramps to the Gordie Howe Bridge into a state highway or Interstate. I know you and others on this forum live in Michigan too and are just as up to date on most things in this state as I am. It would be out of MDOT's nature to do this.

--- End quote ---
I think a lot of people are thinking "ON 401 will end at the border and that will leave a gap in the numbering, we need to add one for connectivity" without considering that Ontario doesn't work that way.  The 400-series highways that end at bridges end AT the bridge, not ON the bridge.

--- End quote ---
I think that even if it did it wouldn't require Michigan to make a ramp leading a bridge over the border into a route number.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version