Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Olancha-Cartago 4-Lane Project

<< < (3/5) > >>

pderocco:
This rankles me. If they found bones of early European settlers, would they reroute the road? Hell no. These bones could be centuries old, or more. Does anyone in the tribes remember who they are?

Rothman:

--- Quote from: pderocco on May 23, 2023, 12:38:09 AM ---This rankles me. If they found bones of early European settlers, would they reroute the road? Hell no. These bones could be centuries old, or more. Does anyone in the tribes remember who they are?

--- End quote ---
Eesh.  Somebody is totally unfamiliar with the historical resources processes...

skluth:

--- Quote from: pderocco on May 23, 2023, 12:38:09 AM ---This rankles me. If they found bones of early European settlers, would they reroute the road? Hell no. These bones could be centuries old, or more. Does anyone in the tribes remember who they are?

--- End quote ---

I couldn't read the article (paywalled). However, this is commonly done for construction in Europe. You may remember the finding of Richard III's remains under a British parking lot; the site was examined and the bones reburied in a different place. It also happens in this country. A quick googling shows this and this and this.

Sub-Urbanite:

--- Quote from: Rothman on May 23, 2023, 06:57:59 AM ---

--- End quote ---
Eesh.  Somebody is totally unfamiliar with the historical resources processes...

--- End quote ---

Yeah, to spell this out a little more — it's not about what we think should happen with the bones.

They're not our ancestors' bones. And that's why federal law defers to the Tribes for that.

It's a different set of cultural values, and we've agreed to abide by that. We might not be able to understand it - but we do kinda have to accept it. These are important to the local Tribes. You just can't screw this up and expect to finish your project.

Plutonic Panda:
So what happens? This project gets canceled because they found some bones? I don’t mean to sound insensitive here even though I am being that way, I don’t mind working with other cultures and respecting their values but at the same time respect needs to be mutual and they need to understand they are inside of a country that has a transportation system that needs to be expanded sometimes.

So I guess my question is what happens next? A change in the alignment? What happens when they find bones there too? This project gets canceled? Or just delayed while they remove the bones? If it’s the latter I’m perfectly fine with that. Then I don’t see why this is a big deal other than it being an inconvenience because we’ve all wanted to see this project finished but in that regard I’ll respect other cultures to have the opportunity to collect these things and move them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version