Regional Boards > Southeast

I-40 in North Carolina

<< < (23/25) > >>

sprjus4:
Are they allowed to use the camera / imaging by itself to issue a citation? Or does the camera simply alert nearby officers to pay attention to that vehicle? In my opinion, unless the officer physically witnesses the violation by themselves, with their own eyes, this should not be legal.

ARMOURERERIC:
The device was moved a few weeks ago to 40 WB just after the 321 merge.  It's right at the new Long View city limit sigñ, and the locals think it's for long view going after speeders.

MASTERNC:

--- Quote from: sprjus4 on September 06, 2023, 12:56:58 AM ---Are they allowed to use the camera / imaging by itself to issue a citation? Or does the camera simply alert nearby officers to pay attention to that vehicle? In my opinion, unless the officer physically witnesses the violation by themselves, with their own eyes, this should not be legal.

--- End quote ---

It allows them to look into higher vehicles in real time.  In that sense, they are witnessing the violation and can decide whether to pull over the vehicle.


--- Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on September 06, 2023, 11:01:07 AM ---The device was moved a few weeks ago to 40 WB just after the 321 merge.  It's right at the new Long View city limit sigñ, and the locals think it's for long view going after speeders.

--- End quote ---

Supposedly it can be used to alert officers to speeding vehicles, but I imagine they would have to confirm using their own radar/laser unless the device is approved in the state as a speed measuring device (and even then I imagine someone would challenge it as an illegal speed camera).

wdcrft63:
For the next 14 months I-40 will be down to one lane in each direction for six miles at Old Fort, at the foot of the Blue Ridge east of Asheville. This is an old section overdue for rehabilitation but the project won’t be any fun for drivers.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-08-i-40-old-fort-mountain.aspx

cowboy_wilhelm:

--- Quote from: wdcrft63 on September 08, 2023, 05:36:29 PM ---For the next 14 months I-40 will be down to one lane in each direction for six miles at Old Fort, at the foot of the Blue Ridge east of Asheville. This is an old section overdue for rehabilitation but the project won’t be any fun for drivers.
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-09-08-i-40-old-fort-mountain.aspx

--- End quote ---

Says closing one lane, and the majority of the work zone is six lanes. Also, looks like most of the work will be at night:

The Contractor shall complete the required work of installing, maintaining, and removing the
traffic control devices for lane closures and restoring traffic to the existing traffic pattern. The
Contractor shall not close or narrow a lane of traffic, or close a shoulder, on I-40 during the
following time restrictions:
DAY AND TIME RESTRICTIONS
Saturday thru Thursday, 6:00 A.M. to 7:00 P.M.
Friday, 6:00 A.M. to 12:00 A.M. (Midnight)

Transportation Management Plans

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version