Regional Boards > Great Lakes and Ohio Valley

Illinois notes

<< < (504/513) > >>

peterj920:

--- Quote from: edwaleni on October 24, 2023, 09:22:27 PM ---I would just apply the sticker to a clear plastic laminate with the same suction cups the transponders have, take the sticker with me anywhere I go by attaching it to the windshield.

Seems easy to me.

In fact to keep it from getting scratched, place it between 2 plastic laminates with one of them having the suction cups. It's an RF tag, so as long as the radio emission can pass through it, you should be good.

Sounds like an Amazon opportunity to me selling the laminate gizmos to hold the sticker in place.

--- End quote ---

I think the stickers have to be registered to each car. With my IPass I go to my account to temporarily add rental cars. If the stickers don’t have to be registered to a vehicle genius idea!

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: peterj920 on October 24, 2023, 12:55:18 AM ---Illinois is looking to switch the IPass from transponders to stickers. I hope not! I’ve rented several cars and it’s always convenient to move my transponder to my rental car and have done it a lot out east. The sticker wouldn’t allow me to do that. Article below:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20231023/stickers-not-transponders-for-tolls-tollway-could-shift-gears-next-year

--- End quote ---

Interesting to see a local newspaper from my neck of the woods make it into a post here!

In any case, stickers do seem a lot cheaper, but I am wondering if their limited durability may cause issues. I heard at a traffic engineering conference recently that ISTHA is looking to essentially use license plate readers in favor of transponder detection.  I don't think the sticker will have any special technology baked in; the cameras will just log a snapshot of your license plate and check it against the database of paid customers.  That's pretty much how they're already taking note of missed tolls anyway.

kphoger:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 25, 2023, 09:34:49 AM ---I don't think the sticker will have any special technology baked in; the cameras will just log a snapshot of your license plate and check it against the database of paid customers.

--- End quote ---

You mean, no RFID chips?

paulthemapguy:

--- Quote from: kphoger on October 25, 2023, 09:43:26 AM ---
--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 25, 2023, 09:34:49 AM ---I don't think the sticker will have any special technology baked in; the cameras will just log a snapshot of your license plate and check it against the database of paid customers.

--- End quote ---

You mean, no RFID chips?

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure if that's the direction they're going, but I heard that they may not even need those at a certain point.

edwaleni:

--- Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 25, 2023, 09:34:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: peterj920 on October 24, 2023, 12:55:18 AM ---Illinois is looking to switch the IPass from transponders to stickers. I hope not! I’ve rented several cars and it’s always convenient to move my transponder to my rental car and have done it a lot out east. The sticker wouldn’t allow me to do that. Article below:

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20231023/stickers-not-transponders-for-tolls-tollway-could-shift-gears-next-year

--- End quote ---

Interesting to see a local newspaper from my neck of the woods make it into a post here!

In any case, stickers do seem a lot cheaper, but I am wondering if their limited durability may cause issues. I heard at a traffic engineering conference recently that ISTHA is looking to essentially use license plate readers in favor of transponder detection.  I don't think the sticker will have any special technology baked in; the cameras will just log a snapshot of your license plate and check it against the database of paid customers.  That's pretty much how they're already taking note of missed tolls anyway.

--- End quote ---

There was an article (can't find at the moment) about how ISTHA and the Illinois AG have a backlog of unpaid tolls due to stolen plates.

Leading state? For reasons unknown, its Pennsylvania.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version