News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Towns you avoid?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, June 28, 2020, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

When we came back from Alabama a tornado came in and my wife was driving and I asked if she wanted to stop in Tuscaloosa to ride it out and she kept driving

J N Winkler

Quote from: CoreySamson on June 30, 2020, 10:59:08 AMI avoid Timpson and Tenaha in east Texas.

Tenaha is infamous for running a asset forfeiture scam.  It was ultimately resolved in a court settlement involving the ACLU, but personally I think the officials involved got off too lightly and there should have been some breaking of rice bowls (disbarment of the prosecutor who signed off on the seizures and disqualification of the LEOs responsible).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

sparker

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 01, 2020, 04:56:34 PM
Quote from: CoreySamson on June 30, 2020, 10:59:08 AMI avoid Timpson and Tenaha in east Texas.

Tenaha is infamous for running a asset forfeiture scam.  It was ultimately resolved in a court settlement involving the ACLU, but personally I think the officials involved got off too lightly and there should have been some breaking of rice bowls (disbarment of the prosecutor who signed off on the seizures and disqualification of the LEOs responsible).

Sounds like a I-69/369 bypass can't come too soon!  Just as long as they don't pull a Ridgeland and annex/patrol the new freeway!

D-Dey65

Quote from: plain on June 29, 2020, 08:39:59 PM
Ashland, VA.

I haven't set foot in that town since about 2012 because of the cops. If there's even just a minor infraction with your vehicle, like something most other jurisdictions wouldn't even bother with, you WILL get pulled over. Add the fact that both the Ashland Police Department and Hanover County Sheriff Department patrol there...

Quote from: Thing 342 on June 29, 2020, 10:51:31 PM
* Stafford, VA - Home to one of the worst-timed stoplights in the state at the intersection of US-1 and Courthouse Rd. The light, which lets roughly 10 cars on US-1 pass per cycle, almost totally rules out US-1 as an effective bypass for the frequently-congested I-95, as traffic on US-1 often backs up for miles on each side. [Illustrated by StreetView]
Ashland and Stafford, Virginia. Boy, I must've lucked out in the times I was in those towns. Being the railfan I am, I get a kick out of Ashland. Not that it makes a difference whether the cops will pull you over or not, but that's besides the point. The last time I was there, I parked in a public parking space so I could get more pictures of the station and the trains that run along Railroad Avenue/Center Street. Unfortunately North Railroad Avenue north of the railroad crossing at VA 54 was closed for construction. That really got in the way of me getting some replacements for pictures I took in 2009. 

Stafford has always been interesting to me because of the wide divider along US 1. The same goes for the area between Triangle and Dumfries.

allniter89

Funny story? I was driving a truck with a load from Houston to Mobile, AL. I didnt know I had a headlight out, I was going thru a weigh station in LA the cop came out told me I had a headlight out & asked where I was going. He wanted me to say "I'm going to a trkstop to get a headlight". Twice I told him I was going to Mobile b4 I caught on & said "I was going to a trk stop to get a headlight'".
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

StogieGuy7

I'd have to name Lafayette, Indiana as a place that I try to avoid.  First off, for a small city, the traffic is just awful. Every road in the area is perpetually under construction and being Indiana there is absolutely no provision to accommodate traffic flow because they don't care.  This includes I-65, which also has low construction speed limits and cops hiding behind every tree. Not to mention that, for a college town, it's really plain and dumpy.  Nothing to see and nothing is nice there (aside from Purdue itself - in West Lafayette).  Quite trashy, actually.

Frankly, I'd prefer to avoid Indiana overall, though I can't always do so.  It's a boring state (even the "scenic" parts are maybe like a suburb of Baltimore) and at least half of it's interstate system has constantly been torn up since at least 1997. Always happy to reach whatever border there is to leave it.

ce929wax

Add me to the list that avoids driving in Chicago whenever I can.  If I want to go to Chicago, I take the South Shore in and use public transit.  I wasn't too impressed with downtown Chicago when I was there last year, it kind of smelled like ass.

When I moved to Knoxville in 2008, I was told by my first boss to avoid Grainger County because of my "northern" accent.  He said they would shoot me there.  I did clinch Grainger County, but I had local tags by that time.

Verlanka

Quote from: ce929wax on July 02, 2020, 11:28:18 PM
When I moved to Knoxville in 2008, I was told by my first boss to avoid Grainger County because of my "northern" accent.  He said they would shoot me there.  I did clinch Grainger County, but I had local tags by that time.
Sounds like the county really hates northerners for you to avoid it.

bwana39

Follow your GPS. Unless you are going to Louisiana, it will take you off of 59 in Nacogdoches and put you back on it in Carthage.  Shorter, faster, as good of road, and no Teneha.  (US259 to SH315.)
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

CoreySamson

Quote from: bwana39 on July 03, 2020, 11:30:52 AM

Follow your GPS. Unless you are going to Louisiana, it will take you off of 59 in Nacogdoches and put you back on it in Carthage.  Shorter, faster, as good of road, and no Teneha.  (US259 to SH315.)

Yeah I know. I usually go the SH 315/US 259 route anyway.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

D-Dey65

Add me to the list that avoids driving in Chicago whenever I can.  If I want to go to Chicago, I take the South Shore in and use public transit.  I wasn't too impressed with downtown Chicago when I was there last year, it kind of smelled like ass.
In the off chance that I ever do go to Chicago, it'd probably be to ride the rails. But I'd still have to park my car somewhere in the city. You seem lucky enough that you can drive down from Michigan to South Bend or Michigan City and catch the South Shore Line.

Flint1979

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 03, 2020, 12:14:02 PM
In the off chance that I ever do go to Chicago, it'd probably be to ride the rails. But I'd still have to park my car somewhere in the city. You seem lucky enough that you can drive down from Michigan to South Bend or Michigan City and catch the South Shore Line.
Everytime I've parked in the city of Chicago I parked at the Cumberland park and ride lot off the Kennedy then take the Blue Line to downtown. It's cheaper.

mrcmc888

Quote from: Verlanka on July 03, 2020, 04:54:40 AM
Bit of an exaggeration, it's just a very poor, very rural county that no one would want to make a stop in for too long.

As for me, on trips between Tennessee and Delaware I always take I-81 to I-70 in Hagerstown just to avoid Washington.  There will always be traffic on the Beltway no matter what the hour of the day.

sprjus4

Quote from: mrcmc888 on July 04, 2020, 11:48:34 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on July 03, 2020, 04:54:40 AM
Bit of an exaggeration, it's just a very poor, very rural county that no one would want to make a stop in for too long.

As for me, on trips between Tennessee and Delaware I always take I-81 to I-70 in Hagerstown just to avoid Washington.  There will always be traffic on the Beltway no matter what the hour of the day.
I-95 south to Richmond isn't a piece of cake either, especially during peak weekends. I would prefer I-81 and I-70 any day over I-95.

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 04, 2020, 12:39:08 PM
Quote from: mrcmc888 on July 04, 2020, 11:48:34 AM
I-95 south to Richmond isn't a piece of cake either, especially during peak weekends. I would prefer I-81 and I-70 any day over I-95.

I could be wrong, but I don't think this route would involve I-95 either way. It would be I-66 if not I-70.
From I-81, VA 7 to US 340 to I-70 is another option that avoids Washington.

1995hoo

Depending on where in Delaware, I might cut over to Charlottesville on I-64 and then use one of a variety of options northeast to the Fredericksburg area, then up US-301 over the Gov. Nice Bridge. Slightly less out of the way and less time on I-81. (Going to Hagerstown takes you slightly out of the way to the north before turning east. Slightly, not severely, to be sure.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 04, 2020, 01:08:03 PM
(Going to Hagerstown takes you slightly out of the way to the north before turning east. Slightly, not severely, to be sure.)

Google says I-81 to I-70 is pretty much identical time-wise to the Harpers Ferry route: 1hr 7min either way as I type this.
However, the I-81 to I-70 route is 20 miles longer: 69 miles vs 49 miles through Harpers Ferry.

That's somewhere right in between slight and severe, IMO.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 04, 2020, 01:22:06 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 04, 2020, 01:08:03 PM
(Going to Hagerstown takes you slightly out of the way to the north before turning east. Slightly, not severely, to be sure.)

Google says I-81 to I-70 is pretty much identical time-wise to the Harpers Ferry route: 1hr 7min either way as I type this.
However, the I-81 to I-70 route is 20 miles longer: 69 miles vs 49 miles through Harpers Ferry.

That's somewhere right in between slight and severe, IMO.

Depends on the overall trip distance. For example, if I drive down to visit my relatives in Fort Myers, an extra 20 miles is nothing, given that the overall drive is between 1000 and 1100 miles (depending on route), whereas if I'm driving to, say, Charlottesville, 20 miles is roughly an extra 20% of the one-way distance.

mgk920

Quote from: Tonytone on June 29, 2020, 11:51:59 PM
Quote from: allniter89 on June 29, 2020, 11:41:58 PM
The tolls for the NYC bridges for 18 wheelers are unbelievable! I hear the G Washington bridge is $100+. Plus there are hundreds of low underpasses, no truck parking & that NYC attitude.
Wait wait wait hold up stop the f***in presses. $100+ toll? Please tell me the load for the trip offsets that balance.

To think I thought the car tolls were already a kick in the ass.

iPhone

Yea, the George Washington Bridge is in the range of $105 for a big-rig truck, collected eastbound/northbound ONLY.  It is *FREE* the other way.  It's the same as charging $52.50 each way.

Mike

MCRoads

I can't drive, but my parents used to avoid DT Denver like the plague. After living in CO for a while now, they have stopped using E-470, as unless it's rush hour, it's not worth it. Most traffic can be avoided using the Express Lanes for half the cost.

EDIT:
Almost forgot! NEVER go to Camden. We went across the Ben Franklin Bridge to say we crossed the Delaware (though we crossed on the Delaware Memorial on our way to NYC), and it was atrocious! It was almost as bad as Baltimore! /s.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Quote from: MCRoads on July 09, 2020, 03:35:32 PM
EDIT:
Almost forgot! NEVER go to Camden. We went across the Ben Franklin Bridge to say we crossed the Delaware (though we crossed on the Delaware Memorial on our way to NYC), and it was atrocious! It was almost as bad as Baltimore! /s.

I went to the aquarium, and it was fine.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

M3100

NEVER go to Camden {snip} it was atrocious! /s.

A few years ago while exploring Philly, I rode through Camden on the Lindenwold Rail Line. While Camden did not loo that inviting, I was planning to return (after the virus risk decreases) to check out the NJT River Line.  During daylight hours maybe ok.

1995hoo

I can't drive, but my parents used to avoid DT Denver like the plague. After living in CO for a while now, they have stopped using E-470, as unless it's rush hour, it's not worth it. Most traffic can be avoided using the Express Lanes for half the cost.

EDIT:

We took the ferry across from Philadelphia to go to a concert at the amphitheater along the river in Camden (at the time it was the Tweeter Center, don't know about now). That area was fine. Most of the rest of the city has a bad reputation.

dlsterner

I'm gonna have to defend Baltimore a bit.  Yes, it has its rough spots for sure - the ones you try to avoid even during the day.  But there are many places in the city that are quite nice.  The Inner Harbor, the National Aquarium, Science Center, Camden Yards and M&T Bank Stadium, Fells Point, etc.  Also many residential neighborhoods are nice.  The city - as a whole - doesn't deserve that reputation.  We call it "Charm City" for a reason :)

Now ... I will admit that the one time I drove into Camden NJ (coming from Cherry Hill NJ) I soon turned around and went back out ... it got rather icky rather fast.   :wow:

Tonytone

Sheesh you guys must close your eyes when I-95 passes through Chester.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.