News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Which state-maintained highways are horse drawn carriages most common?

Started by ozarkman417, September 05, 2020, 09:20:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on September 09, 2020, 02:41:34 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on September 06, 2020, 07:58:59 AM
M-185 around Mackinac Island, Michigan.

Why is this even a debate?

Depends on whether "most common" refers to the total volume, or the percentage of total traffic.

epzik8

Anything in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, "Amish Country". I've driven most often on PA 272 and PA 372, and they have been plentiful on both highways.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on September 09, 2020, 04:08:26 PM

Quote from: kphoger on September 09, 2020, 02:41:34 PM

Quote from: tdindy88 on September 06, 2020, 07:58:59 AM
M-185 around Mackinac Island, Michigan.

Why is this even a debate?

Depends on whether "most common" refers to the total volume, or the percentage of total traffic.

I wonder if it really does depend or not.   :hmmm:

Below is the map for Mackinac Island Carriage Tours.  The bit right by 'Historic Downtown' is M-185.  So every regular carriage ride involves a horse-drawn carriage on a state-maintained highway.  The total number of carriage rides in a given year might outweigh that on the other highways mentioned.  Perhaps not a place like Lancaster County, though, I suppose.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

I don't even get why M-185 even exists anymore or ever did in the first place really.

kphoger

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 09, 2020, 06:04:19 PM
I don't even get why M-185 even exists anymore or ever did in the first place really.

It was designated a state highway in 1933.  In that year, there were 192 automobiles per 1000 Americans–a number which would double in the next 23 years and quadruple by 1995.  The banning of automobiles on a particular road may have meant less back then compared to now.

It is a state-maintained route that still allows bicycles, horses with or without carriages, and snowmobiles.  That is, it handles traffic.  As such, I think it deserves its state highway designation.  Perhaps it should be unsigned, but I tend to dislike unsigned state highways.
Male pronouns, please.

Buck87

ftballfan

I saw three "Amish convertibles" (horse-drawn carriages with no cover) along M-91 between Lakeview and Greenville earlier this week

cpzilliacus

I have been in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania a lot, and seen plenty of horse-drawn traffic there on roads like PA-896, U.S. 222 and PA-272.  Also seen horse-drawn traffic on state roads in Cecil County and St. Mary's County, Maryland.

But the most I have ever seen at one time is not in those counties, but in Centre County, Pennsylvania along PA-192 (Brush Valley Road) and along intersecting PA-445 (Madisonburg Pike Road). 

PA-445 is a tough road for the horses, for it has steep grades and several switchbacks between PA-192 and PA-64 crossing a mountain ridge.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on September 10, 2020, 10:40:08 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 09, 2020, 06:04:19 PM

It was designated a state highway in 1933.  In that year, there were 192 automobiles per 1000 Americans–a number which would double in the next 23 years and quadruple by 1995.  The banning of automobiles on a particular road may have meant less back then compared to now.

It is a state-maintained route that still allows bicycles, horses with or without carriages, and snowmobiles.  That is, it handles traffic.  As such, I think it deserves its state highway designation.  Perhaps it should be unsigned, but I tend to dislike unsigned state highways.

Plus it's in a State Park, it might as well be maintained by a State Agency.  There is only one double sided reassurance shield along with mile markers anyways. 

hobsini2

The one Amish community I know of in Central Wisconsin is in the Southwestern corner of Green Lake County by Kingston and the Southeastern corner of Marquette County by Dalton. Officially, the state recognizes this as one community all the way up to Marquette.

I usually see them along Wis 22, Wis 44 and Wis 73.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.7471177,-89.227589,12z?hl=en
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

allniter89

In Delaware they can be found west of Dover on DE 8, DE 44, there is quite a few large Amish farms out near  Hazlettville, Willow Grove, very rural area west of Dover & Camden-Wyoming.
I've never seen them on US 13 or DE 1, they'd likely would balk paying a toll.
They are very "thrifty". I drove a cab in Dover in the 70s, I'd pick them up to catch a bus to other colonies. Because their homes were a mile or two off the road  they'd ride their buggies to the end of their drive then slap the horse on the ass which sent the buggy back to the house.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.