News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DDI with "frontage through" movement

Started by johndoe, September 11, 2020, 04:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndoe

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

It makes reasonable sense in that example, given that it eliminates the need for any light at all on the Challenger Drive (east) side of that location. It's also relatively unlikely that Oakleaf Plantation Parkway will be extended east, at least not any time soon, especially if the old munitions in that area haven't been cleaned up yet. I'd kind of like to see that concept used more often in that sort of situation, recognizing in many cases it will be uncommon unless there's a geographic feature like water preventing an extension.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

tradephoric

Not exactly the same as it's not a frontage road, but here's a half DDI in Maryland.  This interchange use to be roundabouts but they were removed to make room for the DDI:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/view?mid=1MMZKi0RdQqjZjtBxmSTznUVnurY&ll=39.156095437673976%2C-76.74502006493397&z=18

Ned Weasel

It makes sense for a half-DDI, but not for a full DDI.  If it were a full DDI with through frontage road movements, it would be a pair of three-phase signals, which would defeat the purpose of a DDI and make a normal pair of intersections with the frontage roads the better solution.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

jakeroot

I guess you have to ask yourself which is superior: two, two-phase signals, or a single three-phase signal?

My gut says how they've done it works pretty well, but I also think the standard design for a terminating T/diamond interchange would have been fine too. Credit for creativity, although I think Maryland takes the cake for first terminating-T DDI interchange. At least as we recognize the DDI today.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.