How many states have "Secret" Routes?

Started by CapeCodder, September 18, 2020, 03:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Minnesota's 800- and 900-series routes would qualify.  Both series are unsigned, with the former usually referring to small connectors and extensions through interchanges (since Minnesota, like many states, defines routes and route intersections via centerline), while the latter are usually former signed routes that are turnback candidates but to which MnDOT has not finalized agreement with the receiving jurisdiction.

Mississippi's 700-, 800-, and 900-series routes used to qualify, but many of them are signed now.

Vermont's Named State Highways might qualify...these are routes that have an internal number, but are officially named instead of numbered.

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1 on September 18, 2020, 08:16:17 PM
NY's 900-series routes, except for the few goofs where they do get signed.
I'd could say that I wish NY 100B was secretly signed between NY 119 and the west end of the NY 100 overlap, but I'd actually like to see it signed openly.

I've heard people say that the NY 24 gap is actually a remaining secret route between NY 110 and Exit 71 on I-495. I'm debating how I feel about the idea of that being true.

Eth

I would say that Georgia's 400-series (excluding 400 and 410) would qualify, but it's hard to really call them truly "secret" when most of them appear clearly on Google Maps.

However, GDOT's Road Inventory data (available from here) does include two "secret" route numbers: 920 and 1008.

920 is a nearly 17-mile long route in Fayette, Clayton, and Henry counties, passing through the cities of Lovejoy and McDonough. It's mostly a 2-lane road, but about 3.5 miles of it in Henry is 4 lanes. (I'm reasonably sure this is Jonesboro Road, which intersects I-75 at exit 221.)

1008 is about 18 miles long. It has no county specified in the table, oddly, but the first half-mile is claimed to be in the city of East Dublin, where US 80 and US 319 meet a bit north of I-16. It also claims to have 0 lanes for its whole length, so I presume it is not actually constructed.

epzik8

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 20, 2020, 07:23:07 PM
In Maryland, every road open to the public has a route number. There are dozens of suffixed state
routes that are frequently leftovers in the state system after reconstruction or realignment that
remain under state maintenance for no especially good reason and are almost never signed.

But roads maintained by the counties and by the municipalities all have "secret" route numbers that
are never put on a sign.  This also applies to the federal parkways - the Baltimore-Washington Parkway
has a "secret" state route number (MD-295), the other NPS motor roads (Suitland Parkway and Clara
Barton Parkway and the roads in National Park Service properties like Catoctin Mountain Park and
Assateague Island National Seashore have "secret" federal government route numbers that are
similarly never signed.
I thought MD 295 stopped at MD 175 when maintenance changes from the State Highway Administration to the National Park Service.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

SectorZ

Maine has a "system" if you count two routes as a system.

The Scarborough Connector (701) is signed on Google Maps. No signs for it on roadway except for mile markers denoting the route number.

The Maine Tpke Approach (703) is not signed on Google Maps. Same deal of no roadway signs except for the mile markers.

Example for 703, https://goo.gl/maps/SYEaZGiHVSeQAcT78

Conveniently they intersect as well.

J3ebrules

Quote from: roadman65 on September 19, 2020, 12:09:37 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 19, 2020, 09:30:11 AM
Quote from: J3ebrules on September 19, 2020, 02:23:02 AM
NJ has three I'm aware of: the NJ Turnpike south of where I-95 joins up (unsigned route 700),
The Garden State Parkway (unsigned route 444), and the Atlantic City Expressway (unsigned route 446).

And there would have been even more had it not been for those meddlin' traffic signal blades (59, 64) and enhanced mileposts (13, 167)!

What about the Palisades Parkway?

Unsigned 445 in Jersey, Unsigned 987C in NY. Am I missing any others? Can't believe I forgot that one, especially since I'm going there in two weeks.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Old Dominionite on September 19, 2020, 06:44:47 PM
Some state-maintained routes in Virginia that serve state universities, parks, or institutions are intentionally not signed by VDOT, as the designation does not provide any meaningful navigational aid. In this sense those routes could be considered "secret."

Many of the interstates in Virginia used to have secret state route numbers. For example, I-495 was also designated VA 413, but VA 413 was only referenced in CTB minutes (but as late as the 2000s).
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

sbeaver44

Quote from: J3ebrules on September 25, 2020, 02:07:35 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 19, 2020, 12:09:37 PM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on September 19, 2020, 09:30:11 AM
Quote from: J3ebrules on September 19, 2020, 02:23:02 AM
NJ has three I'm aware of: the NJ Turnpike south of where I-95 joins up (unsigned route 700),
The Garden State Parkway (unsigned route 444), and the Atlantic City Expressway (unsigned route 446).

And there would have been even more had it not been for those meddlin' traffic signal blades (59, 64) and enhanced mileposts (13, 167)!

What about the Palisades Parkway?

Unsigned 445 in Jersey, Unsigned 987C in NY. Am I missing any others? Can't believe I forgot that one, especially since I'm going there in two weeks.
446X for the Atlantic City-Brigantine Conn

I forget – is NJ 187 actually signed?  It's pretty short.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: sbeaver44 on September 27, 2020, 12:54:50 PM
446X for the Atlantic City-Brigantine Conn

I forget – is NJ 187 actually signed?  It's pretty short.

It is.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

MikieTimT

Fulbright Expressway in Fayetteville, AR would likely qualify.  Used to be US-71 and bypassed Fayetteville, but when US-71 moved onto what became I-540/I-49, the northern and southern connectors that looped back to the old route lost their route numbers.  May be something deep in ARDOT's archives about an internal route number, but certainly nothing that's signed.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: epzik8 on September 22, 2020, 03:19:21 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 20, 2020, 07:23:07 PM
In Maryland, every road open to the public has a route number. There are dozens of suffixed state
routes that are frequently leftovers in the state system after reconstruction or realignment that
remain under state maintenance for no especially good reason and are almost never signed.

But roads maintained by the counties and by the municipalities all have "secret" route numbers that
are never put on a sign.  This also applies to the federal parkways - the Baltimore-Washington Parkway
has a "secret" state route number (MD-295), the other NPS motor roads (Suitland Parkway and Clara
Barton Parkway and the roads in National Park Service properties like Catoctin Mountain Park and
Assateague Island National Seashore have "secret" federal government route numbers that are
similarly never signed.
I thought MD 295 stopped at MD 175 when maintenance changes from the State Highway Administration to the National Park Service.

The NPS maintained portion of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway carries the MD 295 designation internally. (The segment of MD 295 in Baltimore which includes Russell Street and other surface streets maintained by the city is also internally designated MD 295.)
Will Weaver

TheGrassGuy

No one's mentioned NY's reference routes?!  :hmmm:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.