News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Multiple Lanes Ending Consecutively

Started by webny99, February 24, 2021, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

Quote from: BrianP on February 24, 2021, 01:45:50 PM
A historical one was I-64 in Newport News VA.  It had consecutive lane drops westbound going from 4 lanes to 2 lanes.  They were both left lane endings.

The first hasn't changed.

The second you can still see in Streetview history.
m

Oh man, that was a traffic disaster! Glad someone posted it! But, you missed one. Not only did it have 2 left hand lanes merging, the CD road from the right also merges at the same time!

When I was younger, I lived in FL. I used to think this was super common, because FL does it ALL THE TIME. here 4 lanes merge to two in about half a mile at the newly constructed FL-123/FL-85 interchange. The I-10/I-110 interchange has lots of consecutive merges, I-10 EB looses 2 lanes, and I-10 WB looses 3 lanes! And, probably my favorite example, the 595 reversible lanes near Miami. It only takes about a half mile for 4 lanes to merge into 2, all the while there are gates and signs screaming at drivers to keep right.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Occidental Tourist

The 110 north just past the 105 interchange in South Central Los Angeles.
Four through lanes traveling north on the 110 meet up with four lanes transitioning from both directions of the 105.  By the time the transition lanes join the mainline, there are only two left.  But these two lanes also end in rapid succession, returning to the original four-lane capacity.

Really fun during commute times.  A complete bottleneck.  I'm assuming the engineers thought ramp metering on the transition lanes would adequately address the continuous merging, but they were wrong.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 02:05:30 PM
Real-life example that I've driven through several times

That looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. But anyways, it's not in the US, with our fancy FHWA standards and all, so I'm not going to take it as a serious example (that sounded a little ethnocentric, didn't it?).
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

jeffandnicole

I just noted this on the Inside Lanes Ending thread...NJ Turnpike, entering from Interchange 6 on both the inner and outer roadways:  The 2 lane ramp from the NJ/PA Turnpike Extension ends completely about 800 feet after connecting with the NJ Turnpike mainline.

hotdogPi

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 25, 2021, 03:59:31 PM

That looks like a lawsuit waiting to happen. But anyways, it's not in the US, with our fancy FHWA standards and all, so I'm not going to take it as a serious example (that sounded a little ethnocentric, didn't it?).

I'm wondering how damages automatically paid for on Mexican toll roads applies to this interchange.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2021, 04:05:06 PM
I'm wondering how damages automatically paid for on Mexican toll roads applies to this interchange.

AFAIK, damages are only paid if they were due to the road surface itself.  I'm not sure other design standards come to bear at all.  But, either way, the merge point is after the signs stating "end road under CAPUFE control", so it's a moot point as it's no longer a toll road at that point.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

But anyways, it's not in the US, with our fancy FHWA standards and all, so I'm not going to take it as a serious example (that sounded a little ethnocentric, didn't it?).

Uh, yeah, it certainly did.  It's like you think Mexico doesn't have its own standards just because it doesn't have FHWA standards.

Of course, it certainly does.  Here are some .pdf documents to get you started, if you're interested:

http://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/NUEVO-SENALAMIENTO/manualSenalamientoVialDispositivosSeguridad.pdf

https://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/manual-pg/MPGC_2018_310718.pdf
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 04:35:53 PM
But anyways, it's not in the US, with our fancy FHWA standards and all, so I'm not going to take it as a serious example (that sounded a little ethnocentric, didn't it?).

Uh, yeah, it certainly did.  It's like you think Mexico doesn't have its own standards just because it doesn't have FHWA standards.

Of course, it certainly does.  Here are some .pdf documents to get you started, if you're interested:

http://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/NUEVO-SENALAMIENTO/manualSenalamientoVialDispositivosSeguridad.pdf

https://www.sct.gob.mx/fileadmin/DireccionesGrales/DGST/Manuales/manual-pg/MPGC_2018_310718.pdf

Of course I knew Mexico has its own standards for roadway design, as does most of the developed world. It's just that highway standards vary a lot more and have different levels of adherence outside the USA. And since this forum has one lone section for all of the highways in the world outside the US and Canada, I would assume we mainly refer to American roads when considering examples of whatever the OP or last reply was discussing, although I welcome discussion of foreign roads as well. But you can't compare some third-world dirt path (not referring to Mexico) to the modern, paved, standardized highways we have here, and say "Lookie what I found here!!". It's inevitable that when you're talking about outside the US or other countries with a good road network, you're going to run into some instances of weird design or poor compliance, and you can't take all of those occurrences seriously.

vdeane

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 25, 2021, 01:53:17 PM
Apologies for posting about a video game, but you guys should see the hilarious merge lanes in Grand Theft Auto 5:

Cities: Skylines can be even worse: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/322429654566245667/  :ded:
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bing101

San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge has to meet this criteria because from the Toll plaza to the bridge westbound you have multiple lanes merging together into 5 lanes.

Bickendan

Former: Northbound I-5 at Exit 294 (OR 99W), a 3+3 merge going up Capitol Hill - 6 lanes merged down to 3. Middle two merged right away, then middle and second to right merged, then later, at the crest the right two merged. Still relatively slow overall reduction, accounting for the right hand truck lane.
Now the OR 99W n -> I-5 n/I-5 Truck ramp got narrowed to two lanes, and right lane merges left both times, for a slow 5 to 3.

Occidental Tourist

Great Lakes Roads

webny99

Apologies for posting about a video game, but you guys should see the hilarious merge lanes in Grand Theft Auto 5:

[img snipped]

If they're not going to provide any merging space, these should be signalized, like this.

vdeane

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 26, 2021, 01:53:27 AM
Quote from: vdeane on February 25, 2021, 08:03:51 PM

Cities: Skylines can be even worse: https://in.pinterest.com/pin/322429654566245667/  :ded:

That's why you always have to do your lane mathematics.
I wonder if there are any mods that fix the "all striping disappears in ramp merges and/or change in road type" problem caused by the game treating them as intersections no different than any other, aside from the lack of traffic lights/stop signs.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

fillup420

I drive through this ramp pretty frequently. The entrance ramp from NC 54 to I-40. Three lanes drops down to one. It could even be said that these three lanes merge into zero, since the ramp lane itself ends.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9122808,-78.983018,3a,67.4y,128.78h,82.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0hzYPdNg6LslkotAqMe3gw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 26, 2021, 08:05:06 AM

[img snipped]

If they're not going to provide any merging space, these should be signalized, like this.

It's actually not bad as it is, because the merge point is just downstream of a toll booth on the "main" road.  Thus traffic, especially in the right lane, isn't going too fast.  Traffic counts are also low there:  the toll road had a 2019 AADT of 3185, and the free road had 4177 at the next count site upstream (west).
Male pronouns, please.

bassoon1986

Not sure if you're looking for lane drops or losing lanes to exits.

In Shreveport, LA, I-20 has 5 lanes eastbound where I-49 merges in. 2 very quick exits and you're down to 2 lanes leading out of Shreveport into Bossier City. It was always fun coming off of 49 north to 20 east moving over 3 lanes.

iPhone

interstatefan990

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2021, 02:45:56 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 26, 2021, 08:05:06 AM

[img snipped]

It's actually not bad as it is, because the merge point is just downstream of a toll booth on the "main" road.  Thus traffic, especially in the right lane, isn't going too fast.  Traffic counts are also low there:  the toll road had a 2019 AADT of 3185, and the free road had 4177 at the next count site upstream (west).

When has "traffic isn't going too fast" ever been an excuse to construct unsafe roads?

kphoger

Since it isn't really unsafe, what with the traffic not going very fast.
Male pronouns, please.

vdeane

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 26, 2021, 08:44:11 PM
When has "traffic isn't going too fast" ever been an excuse to construct unsafe roads?
This happens a lot with toll booths.  Look at this.  Or this.  Both former toll booth locations (the latter to funnel all traffic through the booths).  It's also the reason why most freeways in Canada that end at the border have at-grades just north of it - the Canadians don't see the need to construct a full freeway all the way because traffic stops for customs anyways.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2021, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on February 26, 2021, 01:53:27 AM
Quote from: vdeane on February 25, 2021, 08:03:51 PM

That's why you always have to do your lane mathematics.
I wonder if there are any mods that fix the "all striping disappears in ramp merges and/or change in road type" problem caused by the game treating them as intersections no different than any other, aside from the lack of traffic lights/stop signs.

You can install mods like TPME and then set them so that the mainline should continue through and the merging lane should give way.

interstatefan990

Quote from: vdeane on February 26, 2021, 10:40:32 PM
This happens a lot with toll booths.  Look at this.  Or this.  Both former toll booth locations (the latter to funnel all traffic through the booths).  It's also the reason why most freeways in Canada that end at the border have at-grades just north of it - the Canadians don't see the need to construct a full freeway all the way because traffic stops for customs anyways.

But at least in those, there's stop and yield signs, so the legal aspect of it is satisfied. Whereas with the Mexico example, two rights-of-way literally just run into each other with no merging situation, and the transportation officials could be held liable for any damages (at least if it were in the US).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 27, 2021, 03:50:59 PM

But at least in those, there's stop and yield signs, so the legal aspect of it is satisfied. Whereas with the Mexico example, two rights-of-way literally just run into each other with no merging situation, and the transportation officials could be held liable for any damages (at least if it were in the US).

In the US there are numerous approvals when it comes to engineering and funding. The governments are usually protected against lawsuits on these type instances. So it's not really as cut and dry as you're making it out to be.

kphoger

And how about where five lanes suddenly converge into two lanes immediately past a toll booth?

Or where six lanes suddenly converge into two lanes?

These don't seem to be a problem, even without yield signs.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.