News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Why 85

Started by ethanman62187, August 24, 2011, 04:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanman62187

Why is the speed limit there 85 mph?
I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

agentsteel53

Quote from: ethanman62187 on August 24, 2011, 04:30:33 PM

because that is what the laws there say it is to be.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Quillz

Texas has 85 mph speed limits? I thought the highest anywhere in the nation was 80 mph.

Brandon

Why not?  Speed by itself is not unsafe (note Indy or NASCAR, or even the German Autobahn).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

roadfro

Where is "there"?

I was under the impression, like Quillz, that the highest speed limits in the U.S. were the recent changes to 80mph in west Texas.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

I remember there being talk of raising the speed limit to 85 in west Texas but I don't remember them actually raising it.

PS: It helps to not require looking at the post icon to understand the post and title.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

InterstateNG

There's a bill working it's way through the Texas Legislature for 85 mph limits.

Lots of incoherent newbies lately.
I demand an apology.

texaskdog

I was very surprised last week to be in Parowan, Utah, and the speed limit is now 80 on I-15.  Only got to drive on it a few miles, though.

Brandon

Quote from: texaskdog on August 26, 2011, 11:30:12 PM
I was very surprised last week to be in Parowan, Utah, and the speed limit is now 80 on I-15.  Only got to drive on it a few miles, though.

And why not?  It's perfectly safe and is a better limit than an artificial 55 mph which everyone blows past at 20 over.
Speed doesn't kill, bad timing kills.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

texaskdog

Quote from: Brandon on August 26, 2011, 11:46:45 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on August 26, 2011, 11:30:12 PM

And why not?  It's perfectly safe and is a better limit than an artificial 55 mph which everyone blows past at 20 over.
Speed doesn't kill, bad timing kills.

Surprised that Utah, where nothing is allowed, raised it.  Just drove on I-27 last night which is only 70 MPH.  Why build an interstate and keep the speed the same?

CL

Quote from: texaskdog on August 28, 2011, 10:20:25 PM
Surprised that Utah, where nothing is allowed, raised it.

Utah's unique. It's a hybrid of die-hard conservatism and religious values from the LDS Church. Basically, it's a "don't-tread-on-me" mentality with everything but alcohol. Whether that's bad or good depends on who you're talking to.

You know, if we're pushing 85 mph we might as well do as the Germans do and do away with limits in these desolate rural areas. One caveat though: limitless zones should only be on three-lane stretches of Interstate, with strict enforcement on keeping that far left lane a passing lane only. Two lanes in one direction would seem a tad unsafe, at least to drivers unaccustomed to using the left lane only for passing.
Infrastructure. The city.

texaskdog

Quote from: CL on August 29, 2011, 12:45:50 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on August 28, 2011, 10:20:25 PM
Surprised that Utah, where nothing is allowed, raised it.

Utah's unique. It's a hybrid of die-hard conservatism and religious values from the LDS Church. Basically, it's a "don't-tread-on-me" mentality with everything but alcohol. Whether that's bad or good depends on who you're talking to.

You know, if we're pushing 85 mph we might as well do as the Germans do and do away with limits in these desolate rural areas. One caveat though: limitless zones should only be on three-lane stretches of Interstate, with strict enforcement on keeping that far left lane a passing lane only. Two lanes in one direction would seem a tad unsafe, at least to drivers unaccustomed to using the left lane only for passing.

Reasonable & prudent?

Scott5114

Obligatory reference to how that played out in Montana...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.