News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Name of the shape on the New York state route marker?

Started by MNHighwayMan, February 02, 2017, 07:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

When  I first visited New York State in the 1960's as a child, I thought the shield was based on some sort of image of an open telephone book (anyone recall those?).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

_Simon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 04, 2017, 07:52:20 PM
When  I first visited New York State in the 1960's as a child, I thought the shield was based on some sort of image of an open telephone book (anyone recall those?).
You mean the yellow pages icon, with the "fingers doing the walking"?

SM-G930V

GenExpwy

When I was little, I thought it looked like the swinging saloon doors in an old western movie.

sparker

Whether there is or isn't an actual name for the shield shape, it seems like it's meant to invoke colonial times.  I've spent a lot of time in the Bennington, VT area -- and there's numerous establishments around there with similarly-shaped signage intended to convey just that "colonial Northeast" spirit.   

PHLBOS

Quote from: _Simon on February 04, 2017, 08:19:47 PM
The Fingers Do the Walking Yellow Pages logo dates back to about the mid-1970s.  The one prior to it & the one that CP is likely referring to (and I could not find one from Google Images) featured an open bookleaf with the words Yellow Pages displayed inside the bookleaf.  Such was displayed on New England Telephone directories up through the early 70s.  I'm not sure when that particular logo first rolled out but I'm guessing 1960s.

Regardless, NY's state highways shield shape clearly predates any Yellow Pages that then-MA Bell had.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

_Simon

Quote from: PHLBOS on February 06, 2017, 10:58:02 AM
Quote from: _Simon on February 04, 2017, 08:19:47 PM
The Fingers Do the Walking Yellow Pages logo dates back to about the mid-1970s.  The one prior to it & the one that CP is likely referring to (and I could not find one from Google Images) featured an open bookleaf with the words Yellow Pages displayed inside the bookleaf.  Such was displayed on New England Telephone directories up through the early 70s.  I'm not sure when that particular logo first rolled out but I'm guessing 1960s.

Regardless, NY's state highways shield shape clearly predates any Yellow Pages that then-MA Bell had.
Well obviously, it's just what he thought it looked like as a child.  We didn't really think NY state lifted the yellow pages logo for some bizarre reason.

SM-G930V

cpzilliacus

The one prior to it & the one that CP is likely referring to (and I could not find one from Google Images) featured an open bookleaf with the words Yellow Pages displayed inside the bookleaf.  Such was displayed on New England Telephone directories up through the early 70s.  I'm not sure when that particular logo first rolled out but I'm guessing 1960s.

That open bookleaf would be the one.  I have a feeling that it was used by most or all of the RBOC's (regional Bell operating companies) in the 1960's (the old AT&T ("Bell System") was broken up in the 1980's).  C&P Telephone (which served all of D.C.; nearly all of Maryland and large parts of Virginia and West Virginia) used that logo.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

empirestate

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 06, 2017, 11:34:50 AM
The one prior to it & the one that CP is likely referring to (and I could not find one from Google Images) featured an open bookleaf with the words Yellow Pages displayed inside the bookleaf.  Such was displayed on New England Telephone directories up through the early 70s.  I'm not sure when that particular logo first rolled out but I'm guessing 1960s.

That open bookleaf would be the one.  I have a feeling that it was used by most or all of the RBOC's (regional Bell operating companies) in the 1960's (the old AT&T ("Bell System") was broken up in the 1980's).  C&P Telephone (which served all of D.C.; nearly all of Maryland and large parts of Virginia and West Virginia) used that logo.

I sense a thread split incubating... ;-)

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

briantroutman

The NY state route marker always makes me think of the old Duncan Hines logo (minus the little "broken pediment"  thing):

ixnay

hotdogPi

Quote from: ixnay on February 12, 2017, 07:51:26 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 09, 2017, 06:56:55 AM
Its name is Gordon.

Please explain.

ixnay

It could have just as easily been any other name. I'm naming the 3-digit version of this shape John.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

ixnay

Quote from: 1 on February 12, 2017, 07:56:44 AM
Quote from: ixnay on February 12, 2017, 07:51:26 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 09, 2017, 06:56:55 AM
Its name is Gordon.

Please explain.

ixnay

It could have just as easily been any other name. I'm naming the 3-digit version of this shape John.

I thought you were referring to a) this thread which someone said was close to meriting a split, and b) a character named Gordon in some obscure movie that you're a fan of.  (I'm not a movie buff.)

ixnay

paulthemapguy

Quote from: GenExpwy on February 05, 2017, 02:12:27 AM
When I was little, I thought it looked like the swinging saloon doors in an old western movie.

YES
That's exactly what it reminds me of.
Which was confusing...because New York is nowhere near the wild west.  This shape would do better in Wyoming or New Mexico XD
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

bandit957

Might as well face it, pooing is cool

MikeCL

Man ever since I saw this thread I can't help but keep thinking back to this thread.. if you see 120A it gets a stretched out look

iPhone

formulanone

For additional reference...I suppose the shape goes right over the seal in the state welcome signs:

It seems that seals from the 1700s were all about the baroque symbolism of ladies holding things like scales, books, shields, swords, pikes, robes, shiny things, and smurf hats.

Quote from: briantroutman on February 12, 2017, 01:38:36 AM
The NY state route marker always makes me think of the old Duncan Hines logo (minus the little “broken pediment” thing):

...I kind of think of it that way, too. Must be food on the mind.

Rothman

My favorite part of the New York seal is Liberty stomping on the British crown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

The Fingers Do the Walking Yellow Pages logo dates back to about the mid-1970s.  The one prior to it & the one that CP is likely referring to (and I could not find one from Google Images) featured an open bookleaf with the words Yellow Pages displayed inside the bookleaf.

Here's one;

Yeah, I'm going with the New York State Seal.

PHLBOS

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 21, 2017, 08:43:50 PMHere's one;
*image snipped*
Close but not quite the one I was thinking of.  The one I was referring to featured a black square background with the bookleaf in yellow with the Yellow Pageswording (in Arial font) vertically-stacked.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

briantroutman

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

ixnay

D-Dey65

Quote from: formulanone on March 07, 2017, 11:48:27 PM
Quote from: briantroutman on February 12, 2017, 01:38:36 AM
The NY state route marker always makes me think of the old Duncan Hines logo (minus the little "broken pediment"  thing):

...I kind of think of it that way, too. Must be food on the mind.
I still think those are closer to the old Maryland House signs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.