News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Pulaski Skyway to close to NY Bound traffic for two years starting in 2014

Started by SteveG1988, January 11, 2013, 07:09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2015/09/port_authority_facing_federal_probe_into_diversion.html#incart_2box_nj-homepage-featured

This here is a story I find interesting.  To all of you who want to see Christie out of the race, you will probably enjoy this one here.  That toll money crossing the Hudson is going to fund other road projects just like PA doing the same with Turnpike tolls.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

longhorn

So any word when the bridge will be completed? From driving by it last week not much as changed in two years.

SteveG1988

Quote from: longhorn on July 06, 2017, 09:47:39 AM
So any word when the bridge will be completed? From driving by it last week not much as changed in two years.

They keep finding things wrong that add time to the project. they've shifted from one side to the other for repaving.

http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/04/a_bridge_too_late_a_pulaski_skyway_timeline_1.html

Now they want to replace retaining walls, so 2018 reopening. Hey, best time to do it is when stuff is closed
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

DeaconG

Quote from: longhorn on July 06, 2017, 09:47:39 AM

http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/roads/pulaski/
Spring 2018, apparently.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Alps

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Drove northbound over the skyway last week. Smooth concrete roadway, and it feels safer (probably because it's not visibly crumbling away anymore). The median has a metallic-looking jersey barrier that I've never seen before.

Awfully long time for what most people will only notice as repainted guide rail and new surfacing, but I'm sure there was more structural work behind the scenes.

cl94

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on July 14, 2018, 03:47:39 PM
Drove northbound over the skyway last week. Smooth concrete roadway, and it feels safer (probably because it's not visibly crumbling away anymore). The median has a metallic-looking jersey barrier that I've never seen before.

Awfully long time for what most people will only notice as repainted guide rail and new surfacing, but I'm sure there was more structural work behind the scenes.

TON of structural work. They basically rebuilt a lot of it. Completely new deck. The median barrier is lightweight to reduce stress on the structure.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SignBridge

I can remember a time as a young kid in the 1950's when the Skyway had no divider. Just double white lines.

Alps

To piggyback on the post following yours, the metal barrier has been used to retrofit some NYC area bridges to save weight as well, or to add a barrier to a bridge that didn't have one (in concert with trimming weight elsewhere).

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

cl94

Quote from: Alps on July 14, 2018, 11:56:42 PM

To piggyback on the post following yours, the metal barrier has been used to retrofit some NYC area bridges to save weight as well, or to add a barrier to a bridge that didn't have one (in concert with trimming weight elsewhere).

Yeah, they're doing the same on the Castleton Bridge as we speak. That WAS the only undivided 65 MPH road in New York.

Quote from: 02 Park Ave on July 15, 2018, 06:50:59 AM
From what metal are these barriers fabricated?

Alps can probably answer this better than I can, but I'm assuming aluminum or lightweight steel. I know from my time building small bridges with ASCE that there are a few types of steel that, while expensive, are insanely light without losing strength.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.