News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tchafe1978

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 21, 2023, 02:15:06 PM
Poiponen13. He makes the forum downright infuriating to read.

Simple solution, ignore any topics started by said user or any others you find annoying or uninteresting.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 22, 2023, 01:53:25 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 21, 2023, 02:15:06 PM
Poiponen13. He makes the forum downright infuriating to read.

Simple solution, ignore any topics started by said user or any others you find annoying or uninteresting.
Many people don't know this, but I believe you can hide a specific user's posts.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 02:34:46 PM
Many people don't know this, but I believe you can hide a specific user's posts.

Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List > Add To Ignore List
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

You still see new threads and quotes though. It doesn't work great.

ethanhopkin14

I want to know when MMM will institute the sniper law, where each DOT will position snipers at every exit so if a driver crosses from the left-hand lane all the way to the exit in 200 feet, a sniper will take them out.  Failing that, at least a running chainsaw there to cut off their heads. 

roadman65

What about a sniper who shoots at road raged drivers?
That would be another thing our 23 year old troll would be interested in for his weird mind.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

I did have a sniper idea for my runaway truck helicopter assistance plan. If they resorted to only rescuing the cab part of the vehicle because they couldn't get a good grip on the trailer section, a sniper would take position half outside the helicopter and attempt to take out the cables connecting the two.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2023, 02:40:27 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 22, 2023, 02:34:46 PM

Profile > Buddies/Ignore List > Edit Ignore List > Add To Ignore List

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 22, 2023, 02:53:07 PM

True. You actually get a notification that there is a post by a user you've hidden, and you get the option to click to see the post. It's not like Usenet, where if you killfile someone, you don't even know they have posted anything. (Except, of course, for quoted replies, the same as here.)

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on February 22, 2023, 05:17:03 PMTrue. You actually get a notification that there is a post by a user you've hidden, and you get the option to click to see the post. It's not like Usenet, where if you killfile someone, you don't even know they have posted anything. (Except, of course, for quoted replies, the same as here.)

Replies with quotes from the killfiled person go away with filtering on the message body.  Unfortunately, Thunderbird (which I used as a newsreader in the dying days of MTR) did not have this capability.

I tried using the ignore function on another Web forum (not part of the broader road community) and felt it was basically a waste of time because it would not keep the other person's activity completely out of view.  That is actually a pretty formidable programming problem for forum software if you take into account thread listings (which show the last person to post in each thread), the "Recent Posts" box, threads where the targeted user is the OP, and so on.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

I don't think it's really all that technically formidable. The real problem is that the amount of content that each person wants blocked is going to vary. You could, e.g., kill entire threads that a blocked user has started, but some people would find that objectionable because the replies may still be of interest to them. Other people may not care, and still others might feel differently about it depending on the specific user they're blocking. To do it right would require a large number of configuration switches.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jakeroot

I would think it's easy enough to just, well, not read posts by users you don't like.

For as many posts as I've read, I've maybe touched 1% of the entire forum. Just put the user you don't like into that 99%. Done.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 22, 2023, 02:53:07 PM

This. You still see the threads and quotes, and even posts (the content is just hidden). It's really annoying to read a thread and see tons of "you are ignoring this user" posts.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

J N Winkler

Quote from: jakeroot on February 23, 2023, 02:27:02 AMI would think it's easy enough to just, well, not read posts by users you don't like.

For as many posts as I've read, I've maybe touched 1% of the entire forum. Just put the user you don't like into that 99%. Done.

It's nice when things work out that way.  Unfortunately, sometimes the "foe" (as the ignored person is called in some Web forum software) has interests that align with yours and so is a constant presence in threads you are interested in.  People are also different, and while some can just pass over posts they don't want to read, others need the irritating stimulus to be completely absent from their sight.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Roadgeekteen

If you can't handle people being annoying you shouldn't be on the internet

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 01:12:57 PM

Consider that on some forums (not ours hopefully, and if so I'd like to know about it) people may have a reason to block someone that goes beyond them being merely annoying.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 23, 2023, 02:31:49 PM

Consider that on some forums (not ours hopefully, and if so I'd like to know about it) people may have a reason to block someone that goes beyond them being merely annoying.
If it gets to be that bad where thats an issue, the offending user should honestly just get banned at that point.

J N Winkler

Today's minor thing is mojibake:

20230216,42119,traffic+safety+facilities,兰州至海口国家高速公路(G75)渭源至武都建设项目交通安全设施施工WWJA9标段及机电工程施工WWJD11-15标段招标招标公告
20230216,42120,traffic+safety+facilities,兰州至海口国家高速公路(G75)渭源至武都建设项目交通安全设施WWJAJL3标段施工监理及机电工程WWJDJL2标段施工监理招标招标公告
20230113,41341,traffic+safety+facilities,G213线元山子至白庄子段升级改造项目交通安全设施及绿化施工招标招标公告
20230113,41861,traffic+safety+facilities,甘肃省G331线丹东至阿勒泰公路大红山至霍勒扎德盖段公路交通安全设施DHJA-1、DHJA-2标段施工招标招标公告
20221214,39984,traffic+safety+facilities,G312线清水驿至傅家窑公路交通安全设施工程施工更正公告
20221212,41546,traffic+safety+facilities,G244线打扮梁(陕甘界)至庆城段公路工程PPP项目路面工程、交通安全设施、机电工程建筑工程一切险、第三者责任险以及安全生产责任险项目招标招标公告
20221114,39744,traffic+safety+facilities,S44康县至略阳高速公路望关至白河沟段交通安全设施工程施工更正公告
20220922,40129,traffic+safety+facilities,S36临洮è"¡Â³Ã¥ÂºÂ·ä¹è"¡Â³Ã¥Â¹Â¿Ã¦Â²Â³é«˜é€Å¸Ã¥...¬è·¯äº¤é€Å¡Ã¥Â®"°Ã¥...¨è®¾æ—½å·¥ç¨"¹Ã¯Â¼Ë†Ã¥ÂÂ«ç»Â¿Ã¥Å'—å·¥ç¨"¹Ã¯Â¼"°Ã¦—½å·¥æ"¹"ºÃ¦ "¡Ã¥...Œ"˜Å 
20220915,39697,traffic+safety+facilities,G312线å"š...家çª"˜Ã¨"¡Â³Ã¨"¹Â¦Ã¦Â°Â´Ã¥...¬è·¯äº¤é€Å¡Ã¥Â®"°Ã¥...¨è®¾æ—½å·¥ç¨"¹Ã¦—½å·¥æ"¹"ºÃ¦ "¡Ã¦"ºÂ´Ã¦Â­Â£Ã¥...Œ"˜Å 
20230220,41716,expressway,S44康县至略阳高速公路望关至白河沟段康县火车站出入口及连接线房建(含绿化)工程施工招标公告
20230217,42151,expressway,G1816乌海至玛沁国家高速公路合作至赛尔龙(甘青界)段地震安全性评价报告招标公告

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 03:35:23 PM

If it gets to be that bad where thats an issue, the offending user should honestly just get banned at that point.

Yes, and if that were to happen here the user probably would be.

We are not the only forum who uses SMF, however.

hbelkins

Roadgeekteen never had to deal with Randy Hersh.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on February 23, 2023, 07:25:03 PM

Isn't he banned though?

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 07:27:27 PM

Isn't he banned though?

Nope.  He was on this forum and did not come to moderators' notice when he was living.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 23, 2023, 07:30:35 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 07:27:27 PM

Isn't he banned though?

Nope.  He was on this forum and did not come to moderators' notice when he was living.
Oh I forgot. Didn't he pass away?

Edit: apparently he's from the pre AAroads MTR days. I was still in preschool during those days.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 07:33:48 PMOh I forgot. Didn't he pass away?

Yes, on August 15, 2012.

It was occasionally said he would be banned on sight if he was found on this forum, but neither ever happened, though he had an account and posted occasionally.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 23, 2023, 08:27:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 23, 2023, 07:33:48 PMOh I forgot. Didn't he pass away?

Yes, on August 15, 2012.

It was occasionally said he would be banned on sight if he was found on this forum, but neither ever happened, though he had an account and posted occasionally.
Over 10 years ago, wow. It's hard to believe that this forum has been around for 14 years!

hbelkins

Icebreakers/group activities at conferences, meetings, or trainings.

Had a meeting today that involved one of those, and I found it to be a waste of time. If introductions are necessary, just go around the room and let people announce their names, titles, etc. Don't play some silly game before the gist of the event gets started.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.