News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The "block" feature

Started by hbelkins, October 30, 2013, 12:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Is there any way to use the "block" feature on this forum so it actually blocks the post from a user, and not just shows that the blocked user has posted but doesn't show the content?

I have blocked users in the past, but it still shows that they've posted and inevitably, curiosity got the best of me and I viewed their posts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bugo

Looky, HB wants to killfile me because I think talking on a cell phone while driving is dangerous.

dlainhart

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2013, 12:04:54 PM
curiosity got the best of me and I viewed their posts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqvQOACorAY

Dylan T. Lainhart / Binghamton, N.Y.

formulanone

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2013, 12:04:54 PMI have blocked users in the past, but it still shows that they've posted and inevitably, curiosity got the best of me and I viewed their posts.

Heh, this the same reason I can't block anyone for long. I use it like a penalty box.

If the blocked user's post is quoted, it always seems to be displayed on any forum format; without it, the following post might not make much sense.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: formulanone on October 30, 2013, 12:47:48 PM

If the blocked user's post is quoted, it always seems to be displayed on any forum format; without it, the following post might not make much sense.

Same thing happens on Usenet or in your e-mail reader unless you filter by subject.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2013, 12:04:54 PM
Is there any way to use the "block" feature on this forum so it actually blocks the post from a user, and not just shows that the blocked user has posted but doesn't show the content?

No.

Scott5114

If you're blocking the user because their posts are generally low-quality and don't add anything to most discussions, consider notifying the staff and we can discuss whether any moderation is warranted.

If you're blocking the user because you simply disagree with them, consider that without conflicting opinions we wouldn't have a forum because there would be nothing to discuss.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2013, 06:39:16 PM
If you're blocking the user because their posts are generally low-quality and don't add anything to most discussions, consider notifying the staff and we can discuss whether any moderation is warranted.

If you're blocking the user because you simply disagree with them, consider that without conflicting opinions we wouldn't have a forum because there would be nothing to discuss.
I think he is referring to one user in particular who has a very bad offbeat sense of humor, and has been known to have a temper that arrives out of nowhere on a lot of occasions including when I once misspelled a word. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

J N Winkler

Quote from: hbelkins on October 30, 2013, 12:04:54 PMI have blocked users in the past, but it still shows that they've posted and inevitably, curiosity got the best of me and I viewed their posts.

I haven't had this problem, but then I don't think I have ever blocked or killfiled anyone for expressing political views that disagree sharply with mine.  On MTR I killfiled Carl Rogers for being a well-poisoner.  When I considered killfiling Larry Sheldon shortly before I left the newsgroup, it was because of negativity, not because he was a right-wing conservative.  On SABRE I have added several people to my block list, but it has always been because of negativity and childishness making their posts a trial to read.

I actually wasn't aware there was a blocking feature on this forum (SABRE didn't have it until a forum upgrade several years ago and it has always been something that administrators need to enable); I can't really think of anyone here whose posts I feel moved to block.  It seems to me that a Web forum blocklist falls short of being a suitable tool to use against forum regulars whose posts you find inflammatory but which nevertheless you feel compelled to read.  Imperturbability is a skill, not just a state of mind, and it is one well worth cultivating.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2013, 09:37:08 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on October 31, 2013, 06:39:16 PM

I think he is referring to one user in particular who has a very bad offbeat sense of humor, and has been known to have a temper that arrives out of nowhere on a lot of occasions including when I once misspelled a word. 
You fucking missed a comma, you poobarbrastreisand

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.