News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

SC: I-95 widening projects

Started by afguy, January 23, 2017, 07:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

I would agree that if there is any part of I-95 in the Southeast that doesn't need widening, it is the section between Interstate 20 and Interstate 26. I am aware that that is a very rural stretch of interstate, as a matter of fact. Also, this stretch of Interstate 95 is missing some of the traffic that would probably be feeding in from both I-26 East to I-95 South (and vice versa), and I-20 East to I-95 North (and vice versa). I can see if the traffic counts of this segment of I-95 are simply not enough to justify widening it. I can also understand if South Carolina simply doesn't have the money for such a large widening project, anyhow.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

DeaconG

Widening the section between I-20 and the NC border would probably be the best way to spend scant dollars. The rest can wait for a more opportune time.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

jwolfer

Quote from: DeaconG on January 30, 2017, 11:17:24 AM
Widening the section between I-20 and the NC border would probably be the best way to spend scant dollars. The rest can wait for a more opportune time.
Georgia anf Florida will soon have i95 as at least 6 lanes.  Over 500 milescof at least 3 lanes and then SC goes to 4 lanes. Lots of traffic issues at the state line.

I hsve seen quite a few articles about the high rate of accidents and deaths on that part of 95.  Hilton Head is nearby, a big tourist draw, as well as the ports in Savannah and Charleston. I see the part of 95 at the GA line as first widened

LGMS428

US 41

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on January 23, 2017, 07:46:24 PM
Based on everything I've heard about the new Administration's road funding, get ready for the South Carolina Turnpike.

I would fully support that.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

The Ghostbuster

I wouldn't be surprised if South Carolina builds more toll roads. It may be the only way certain projects could be funded and built.

froggie

Relevant to this thread...

From the Interstate Plan part of South Carolina's Multimodal Transportation Plan (dated December, 2014, so not all that long ago) comes this INRIX congestion analysis for I-95:

From what I could tell from the Interstate Plan, this analysis was based heavily on Highway Capacity Manual methodology/calculations.  As you can see, overall there really isn't a whole lot of congestion on I-95.  Sure, there may be some weekend congestion that isn't reflected here, but $4 billion is an awfully large amount of money to be spending against the occasional weekend traffic jam.  Especially considering that's about 2.5 times SCDOT's annual budget.

jeffandnicole

There isn't ANY congestion, according to this report!  Even the lone C is usually very adequate for traffic.

wriddle082

http://www.dot.state.sc.us/inside/I95_Safe/default.aspx

Looks like they're planning a public information meeting on 2/9 in Ridgeland.  Planning to widen the first 33 miles of 95 (to the US 17 split towards Charleston).

froggie

^ My read on that project is that it is *NOT* a widening project, but instead will establish a 55 foot clear zone along the outside shoulder and median in both the northbound and southbound directions.

In short, they're going to cut down a bunch of trees and maybe add some guardrail here and there, in part because over 40% of the fatalities and "incapacitating injuries" on that stretch were the result of hitting the trees.

D-Dey65

Quote from: DeaconG on January 30, 2017, 11:17:24 AM
The Jasper County area would be good too, but the furthest north I can imagine that being necessary would be the north end of the US 17 overlap. Something that I've always noticed when I drive between Georgia and South Carolina (which I'm sure I've mentioned before) is that every time I drive up, it's always smooth sailing as the road narrows from six to four lanes crossing the Savannah River. But when I drive down, it's always crowded like a regular day on the Long Island Expressway.

froggie

I've finished a quick analysis of I-95 traffic volumes, stretching from the Savannah River (GA/SC line) to Petersburg, VA.  Results are shown in the map below:

(before someone rips my head off about it, I'm aware the map is missing some of the newer Interstate routes in North Carolina)

This map shows Passenger Car Equivalent (PCE) volumes for the corridor, based on 2014 (NC) and 2015 (SC & VA) vehicle and truck volumes.  PCE is a volume measure that takes trucks into account.  It basically converts trucks and buses into a "passenger car equivalent" and is part of the Highway Capacity Manual LOS methodology.  The NC and VA data had truck volumes (or percentages) easily accessible.  The SC truck data I used were semi-generic values based on the state's Interstate Plan component of their Multimodal Transportation Plan.

The number thresholds roughly correspond to LOS B/C and LOS C/D.  No segments got to LOS E, although a segment near Hardeeville, SC got close.  The LOS thresholds were based on the following default corridor values:

- 2 travel lanes in each direction
- 70 MPH default speed
- 2+ mile interchange spacing
- Peak Hour Factor 0.88
- K-Factor 10%
- Directional Split 55%

The K-Factor and Directional Split values loosely correlate with average values in Virginia for that segment of I-95, and were also used by NCDOT in past I-95 studies.  Each state normally uses a PHF of 0.9, but I dropped it slightly to account for the higher level of tourist/recreational traffic on I-95.  This had the net effect of lowering the traffic volumes that correspond with a given LOS threshold.

There are some locations that have a speed limit lower than 70 MPH or have interchange spacing closer than 2 miles.  These should be looked at on a more detailed individual basis.  I'm also aware that the segment of I-95 through the Florence area has been widened to 6 lanes (3 per direction)...roughly corresponding with the yellow shown on my map.  In reality, that segment operates well.

As you can see, this data supports consideration of improvements to several areas along I-95, specifically:

- Georgia line to US 17/Exit 33
- SC 61 to I-26 (technically US 178, but I-26 would be a logical termini for improvements)
- Through Lumberton (hidden by the city marker in my map, but the data supports it)
- Eastover (basically Exit 55) to I-40
- In Petersburg, VA

There are a few locations where the data do *NOT* support widening, namely much of the stretch from I-26 to I-20, and from Kenly to Wilson.

Based on my analysis, top priority for improvements should be from the Georgia line to US 278 (Exit 8 near Hardeeville).  This is the segment that is close to the LOS D/E threshold, and the anecdotal backups at the Savannah River that some have mentioned are verified by the traffic data.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 08:01:24 AM
Relevant to this thread...

From the Interstate Plan part of South Carolina's Multimodal Transportation Plan (dated December, 2014, so not all that long ago) comes this INRIX congestion analysis for I-95:

From what I could tell from the Interstate Plan, this analysis was based heavily on Highway Capacity Manual methodology/calculations.  As you can see, overall there really isn't a whole lot of congestion on I-95.  Sure, there may be some weekend congestion that isn't reflected here, but $4 billion is an awfully large amount of money to be spending against the occasional weekend traffic jam.  Especially considering that's about 2.5 times SCDOT's annual budget.

My complaint about the Inrix analysis above (which I like) is that it should have been broken-down by season and by weekdays and weekends (relatively easy to do).

As far as the SCDOT budget goes, it always baffles me that there's not more enthusiasm in South Carolina for tolling its entire section of I-95 to raise revenue to maintain and repair the corridor.  The percentage of out-of-state cars, combined with commercial vehicles crossing the state without stopping, has got to be very high.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Mapmikey

Drove I-95 northbound into South Carolina yesterday.  Zero delay at the lane drop.

However, it must be happening enough that Georgia has signs alerting for congestion/delays starting 6 miles from the lane drop and directs trucks into a specific lane not long after.

Traffic up to Exit 33 was fairly steady.

Today traffic was heavy on I-26 west from Summerville to I-95.  I-95 was quiet until I-20 where it picked up, but things were quiet again by the time the 3-lane section ended at SC 327.

Whether they widen anything or not, South Carolina badly needs to address pavement condition, which was atrocious in numerous locations on 26 and 95.

For example, there is still circa-1960 concrete on I-26 between US 15 and near SC 27.  In the late 80s I thought it was neat to still have that original surface.  Today it is hazardous.

D-Dey65

Let me rephrase what I said earlier on this thread;

Something that I've always noticed when I drive between Georgia and South Carolina (which I'm sure I've mentioned before) is that every time I drive up, it's always smooth sailing as the road narrows from six to four lanes crossing the Savannah River. But when I drive down, the northbound lane is always crowded like a regular day on the Long Island Expressway. Southbound, I have no problems with traffic.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2017, 02:27:45 PM
I've finished a quick analysis of I-95 traffic volumes, stretching from the Savannah River (GA/SC line) to Petersburg, VA.  Results are shown in the map below:

(before someone rips my head off about it, I'm aware the map is missing some of the newer Interstate routes in North Carolina)

This map shows Passenger Car Equivalent (PCE) volumes for the corridor, based on 2014 (NC) and 2015 (SC & VA) vehicle and truck volumes.  PCE is a volume measure that takes trucks into account.  It basically converts trucks and buses into a "passenger car equivalent" and is part of the Highway Capacity Manual LOS methodology.  The NC and VA data had truck volumes (or percentages) easily accessible.  The SC truck data I used were semi-generic values based on the state's Interstate Plan component of their Multimodal Transportation Plan.

The number thresholds roughly correspond to LOS B/C and LOS C/D.  No segments got to LOS E, although a segment near Hardeeville, SC got close.  The LOS thresholds were based on the following default corridor values:

- 2 travel lanes in each direction
- 70 MPH default speed
- 2+ mile interchange spacing
- Peak Hour Factor 0.88
- K-Factor 10%
- Directional Split 55%

The K-Factor and Directional Split values loosely correlate with average values in Virginia for that segment of I-95, and were also used by NCDOT in past I-95 studies.  Each state normally uses a PHF of 0.9, but I dropped it slightly to account for the higher level of tourist/recreational traffic on I-95.  This had the net effect of lowering the traffic volumes that correspond with a given LOS threshold.

There are some locations that have a speed limit lower than 70 MPH or have interchange spacing closer than 2 miles.  These should be looked at on a more detailed individual basis.  I'm also aware that the segment of I-95 through the Florence area has been widened to 6 lanes (3 per direction)...roughly corresponding with the yellow shown on my map.  In reality, that segment operates well.

As you can see, this data supports consideration of improvements to several areas along I-95, specifically:

- Georgia line to US 17/Exit 33
- SC 61 to I-26 (technically US 178, but I-26 would be a logical termini for improvements)
- Through Lumberton (hidden by the city marker in my map, but the data supports it)
- Eastover (basically Exit 55) to I-40
- In Petersburg, VA

There are a few locations where the data do *NOT* support widening, namely much of the stretch from I-26 to I-20, and from Kenly to Wilson.

Based on my analysis, top priority for improvements should be from the Georgia line to US 278 (Exit 8 near Hardeeville).  This is the segment that is close to the LOS D/E threshold, and the anecdotal backups at the Savannah River that some have mentioned are verified by the traffic data.

The problem is that no one wants to drive the speed limit.  That is the issue not the lane capacity.

VTGoose

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 13, 2022, 11:21:32 PM
The problem is that no one wants to drive the speed limit.  That is the issue not the lane capacity.

Nice map and analysis -- but the data is now well out-of-date. Could it be updated with 2021 data for just I-95 in South Carolina, with I-26 added in?

Correct about the speed limit -- in both directions, which is the problem. There are drivers who think 80-85 is an appropriate speed and any doing less is an impediment (even if they are driving at 77-78). Those drivers are in the left lane because there are too many drivers in the right lane who either can't or won't go above 60-65, along with drivers who can't maintain a constant speed even with cruise control. To get out of the way of the tailgaters requires a quick speed drop of 10 MPH to move right, then hope for a large enough opening in the left lane to allow getting back up to 78 without getting rear-ended. Of course, it is all moot when both lanes are down to 25-30 MPH (with occasional bursts up to 40, with an almost concurrent slamming on the brakes).

Been there, done this multiple times (although last week I-95 behaved in both directions -- I-26 not so much with two major wrecks on 6/5 slowing traffic for miles between Columbia and Orangeburg and no good alternative route available, at least according to WAZE [it failed on that day, other times it has been good with ways to avoid such messes]).

Bruce in Blacksburg

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Henry

The real question is, is it worth it? Petersburg is the big switchover point, because most of the traffic exits onto I-85, which serves the larger cities in the Southeast. While I agree that I-95 needs to be fixed, does it really need to be widened as well? IIRC, Savannah is the largest city on its route between Richmond and Jacksonville, and even that is a small town by today's standards. With such a huge drop in traffic at the I-85 exchange, I really don't see the justification of the high price that widening would bring. If tolls were on the table, it would be a different story, but I'm certain that they'd be shot down in both Columbia and Raleigh right away.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Plutonic Panda

The Ghostbuster

Has the state of South Carolina come up with the $4 billion needed to expand Interstate 95? Whether the roadway should be expanded is another discussion.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Henry on June 14, 2022, 12:52:31 PM
The real question is, is it worth it? Petersburg is the big switchover point, because most of the traffic exits onto I-85, which serves the larger cities in the Southeast. While I agree that I-95 needs to be fixed, does it really need to be widened as well? IIRC, Savannah is the largest city on its route between Richmond and Jacksonville, and even that is a small town by today's standards. With such a huge drop in traffic at the I-85 exchange, I really don't see the justification of the high price that widening would bring. If tolls were on the table, it would be a different story, but I'm certain that they'd be shot down in both Columbia and Raleigh right away.

The numbers don't show this.  South of Exit 61 (beyond the urban pattern), I-85 has an ADT of 25,000 (and an AAWDT of 24,000).  South of Exit 45 (also beyond the urban pattern), I-95 has an an ADT of 43,000 (and an AAWDT of 36,000).  At the North Carolina border (which is way beyond the urban pattern), I-85 has an ADT of 22,000 (AAWDT of 19,000) and I-95 has an ADT of 38,000 (AAWDT of 33,000).  Since that includes traffic to/from the east on US-58, let's check north of South Hill and Emporia just to make sure. 

North of Exit 15 on I-85, the ADT is 20,000 (AAWDT 18,000) and north of Exit 13 on I-95, the ADT is only 32,000 (AAWDT 27,000).

I didn't compare I-85 and I-95 inside the urban zone, but there is a significant increase of traffic on I-85 north of US-460 during rush hour (and much of it is indeed local).

I am assuming that ADT is the same as the usual AADT, but I'm reporting both the ADT and the AAWDT (weekday) just in case.

NJRoadfan

Revisiting this thread. I-95 is a bit of a mess in southern SC now that I've actually driven it. Both times heading north at around 10AM on a random weekday, I managed to get stuck in a standstill going north between Exits 38 and 42. Something about the Combahee River I guess :P. Traffic was fine at the GA/SC line, started to build around Ridgeland, but still moved at a steady 65-70. Eventually it became like the NJ Turnpike used to be south of Exit 8A before being widened. Both lanes packed just a hair away from a major disaster if someone screwed up.

nerdom

Yeah. The NEC to Florida traffic makes the lack of cities along 95 in the Carolinas and GA moot. Far more of a traffic generator than anything 85 syphons off the road. 85 West of Durham also adds alot of intra-carolina traffic.

sprjus4

I haven't driven that segment of I-95 that often, but I do remember a Saturday night drive (close to midnight coming back from Florida to Virginia) during the spring a couple years back, and my experience with I-95 was different between Georgia and South Carolina.

In Georgia, during the day still, the highway was extremely busy however it was still flowing at 75-85 mph across all three northbound lanes. Then, as we got to South Carolina, there was a 5-10 minute backup as all the traffic merged down to two lanes, then it just became stop-and-go and fluctuating between 35 and 70 mph all the way to I-26. North of there, it started finally picking up, then after stopping for food somewhere, probably close to midnight, I-95 north was bumper to bumper flowing at 45-55 mph for probably 20-30 miles and it never got any better. Heavy rain started following us all the way into North Carolina restricting traffic down to 35-45 mph (close to 2am at this point - still bumper to bumper and extremely busy). I eventually bailed out at US-264, took that to Greenville, then up US-13 to US-17 because I wanted no part on I-95 anymore. It was still raining heavily, but I could maintain 55-60 mph the whole way without having to worry about basically any traffic.

The rain played a part in slowing down the end of the trip, but most of the drive through South Carolina was still dry. But there was no escape from the slow flow. Actually, I'll say one thing. Florence allowed traffic to open up some and get up to 75-80 mph because it's 6 lanes through there. But it went right back to slow flow after that.

6 lanes fixes a lot of the problems, and I-95 needs that all the way from Petersburg to Savannah. The nearly 50 miles of 8 lane widening happening in North Carolina will be a major "break" in otherwise congested flow once those projects are complete in a few years.

amroad17

I took a trip to visit my in-laws outside of Savannah, GA (Bloomingdale) and the routing I use involves the section of I-95 from Jimmy Deloach Pkwy in Pooler to I-26 near Bowman, SC.  The observation I have is that I-95 needs to be widened from the GA/SC line to at least I-26--mostly because of weekend traffic.  Last year, we traveled to Bloomingdale on a Saturday and, holy sh*t, the traffic on I-95 (and I-26 from Little Mtn, SC most of the way to I-95) was a giant slog.  So, this year, we decided to travel on Friday.  It wasn't all that great, but better than a Saturday.  Both times, we returned home on Tuesday and had no real issues other than a couple of minor slowdowns.

I am not aware of any traffic issues north of I-26 because I do not travel that way, but from what my father has mentioned to me in his travels from Lakeland, FL to Fuquay-Varina, NC to visit my brother is that the issues he would encounter would start north of I-20 and be intermittent between there and I-40.

It is good to see North Carolina begin to widen I-95.  I imagine is must be stressful to regularly travel I-95 anywhere along the East Coast based on what I have read.  The last time I was on I-95 for a good stretch was in 2005 taking a delivery from Alexandria, VA to Miami Beach.  It did not seem very stressful then, but that was 17 years ago.

South Carolina may want to start to piecemeal 6-lane stretches for I-95 through the state much like Kentucky has done for I-65 and I-75.  It has been around 30 years since Kentucky started widening I-75 north and south of Lexington.  The last section is almost complete between London and mile point (Kentucky uses this term) 51.  This would leave the 29 miles from Corbin to the Tennessee/Kentucky line as the last of the four lane section.  I-65 was done much quicker (less than 10 years) from Elizabethtown to the KY/TN line.  If South Carolina started now, this could be complete by 2050.  Of course, by then traffic may dictate 8 lanes instead of 6.  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Great Lakes Roads

Heck, SCDOT is actually focusing on widening I-26 to three lanes by 2034 between Columbia and Charleston- that's about 70 miles to widen! The portion on I-95 for the first 33 miles will be done by... 2030!

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/lawmakers-approve-600-million-fast-track-i26-widening-project/101-1cafe810-425e-4ea2-94cd-086742c7fb95

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.