News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

City Quiz.io

Started by CoreySamson, November 21, 2020, 04:33:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNGL-Leudimin

Notice the new URL, https://cityquiz.io. It has been activated over the weekend and will replace the original one by the end of November. So the OP might want to edit his post.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

CoreySamson

Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on November 01, 2022, 02:38:01 PM
Quote from: kirbykart on November 01, 2022, 09:46:18 AM
^They're often not, obvious by looking at the map. And they're usually really small.

In cases where a really small city was chosen, it's often because it's more centrally located. See Missouri and South Dakota as some of the most obvious examples, in addition to all of the states 1 just listed where the capital isn't the largest city. With a couple of exceptions (Nevada, Florida) the capitals are usually fairly close to the state's center of population even if they're not near the geographical center.

And those exceptions are pretty close to the historical population centers of those places.

Back in the day, basically no one lived in the Florida peninsula, and the only cities of note in Florida were St. Augustine and Pensacola. Traveling between those two places was a long and difficult journey back in the day, so they put the capital in Tallahassee at almost exactly the halfway point. As far as Nevada goes, Vegas was just a blip on the map before air conditioning came around and Lake Mead made larger amounts of water more obtainable. Almost everybody lived up on the eastern slope of the Sierras, where there was silver and critically, a steady supply of water.

This is also why Nevada's counties are way smaller in that area than other parts of the state, by the way - that area grew longer ago, in an era where counties were split more readily. You'll see this pattern in some other western states too but I think it's most obvious in NV.

JoePCool14

Quote from: CoreySamson on November 01, 2022, 10:52:06 PM
Gotcha.

You might want to update the link in the body of the original post as well.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kirbykart

Here's a map with an interesting theme; see if you can figure it out. https://cityquiz.io/quizzes/usa/share/737139

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.