Canada to reopen borders to nonessential travel- first to Americans

Started by ozarkman417, July 19, 2021, 08:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkman417

Fully Vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents will be able to enter Canada for nonessential/discretionary travel after sixteen months of the border being closed, starting August 9. For other countries, Canada will open roughly a month later, on September 7. The accepted vaccines are Pfizer, J&J, Moderna, and AstraZeneca. Unfortunately, there aren't any solid plans to reopen the US border to Canadians as of typing this.

Prior to arrival, Proof of vaccination needs to be uploaded to Canada's free app ARRIVECAN.

For me, this is great timing. In mid August, I am headed up to Washington State. Now that the border is reopened, I now plan on spending a day in Victoria, BC; using the Port Angeles-Victoria Ferry MV Coho to get there.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CRhphroLAN6/
<- Canada's tourism page announcing the border reopening.

Max Rockatansky

I much rather visit family in Mexico.  It probably be a long time before I bother spending my tourism money in Canada. 

1995hoo

Not just proof of vaccination. You also need to provide proof of a negative test within 72 hours prior to travel, regardless of vaccination status.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

vdeane

And while the blanket quarantine requirements are gone for fully vaccinated travelers, a border officer can require one at their discretion.  Between that and the PCR test (not rapid test) requirement, we're still not quite at the level where just hopping over for a daytrip is really practical, if such ever will be again.  After 9/11, though the border thinned from the thickest it was immediately after the attacks, it never got even close to pre-9/11 conditions, and I fear such could happen again.  Just as Americans feared terrorists transiting through the north (whether such is rational or not - let's please keep this thread open by keeping the politics out), Canadians now fear the virus could come from the south (same note as previous).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: vdeane on July 19, 2021, 09:40:43 PM
And while the blanket quarantine requirements are gone for fully vaccinated travelers, a border officer can require one at their discretion.  Between that and the PCR test (not rapid test) requirement, we're still not quite at the level where just hopping over for a daytrip is really practical, if such ever will be again.  After 9/11, though the border thinned from the thickest it was immediately after the attacks, it never got even close to pre-9/11 conditions, and I fear such could happen again.  Just as Americans feared terrorists transiting through the north (whether such is rational or not - let's please keep this thread open by keeping the politics out), Canadians now fear the virus could come from the south (same note as previous).

Politics aside, the arrogant attitude a lot of Canadians have towards American tourists in general (which has worsened since COVID) has really left a sour taste in my mouth.  I'm sure lots of people from the northern border states will end up flocking back in droves but I can't see myself visiting for a couple years.  Lots of other countries were way more inviting than Canada pre-COVID (or at least I found myself more welcome) and I can think of a pretty lengthy list of places I rather go first.

Roadgeekteen

The negative test requirement is stupid. Even stupider that it can't be a rapid test (but I do agree with the vaccine requirement). It's a good first step at least and WAY overdue.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ozarkman417

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 10:09:59 PM
The negative test requirement is stupid. Even stupider that it can't be a rapid test (but I do agree with the vaccine requirement). It's a good first step at least and WAY overdue.
I agree that border re-openings are, generally speaking, overdue. Countries across the world have opened, or are soon to open to Americans, but we aren't returning the favor. Yet, Canada is making this move as the Delta variant is ravaging parts of the US (namely Southwest Missouri, which has received plenty of national media attention as a result). The reason we chose Washington specifically is that my brother was to meet up with a friend from Europe. Unfortunately, he will not be able to enter the United States or Canada.

I will need to do some research to locate a place I can get an accepted type of COVID test near Seattle or Port Angeles, and somehow make it work with the plans of the rest of my trip. Quite a hassle for an overnight venture to Victoria.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 19, 2021, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 19, 2021, 10:09:59 PM
I agree that border re-openings are, generally speaking, overdue. Countries across the world have opened, or are soon to open to Americans, but we aren't returning the favor. Yet, Canada is making this move as the Delta variant is ravaging parts of the US (namely Southwest Missouri, which has received plenty of national media attention as a result). The reason we chose Washington specifically is that my brother was to meet up with a friend from Europe. Unfortunately, he will not be able to enter the United States or Canada.

I will need to do some research to locate a place I can get an accepted type of COVID test near Seattle or Port Angeles, and somehow make it work with the plans of the rest of my trip. Quite a hassle for an overnight venture to Victoria.
Hopefully the US follows suit.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

US 41

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2021, 09:50:34 PM

Politics aside, the arrogant attitude a lot of Canadians have towards American tourists in general (which has worsened since COVID) has really left a sour taste in my mouth.  I'm sure lots of people from the northern border states will end up flocking back in droves but I can't see myself visiting for a couple years.  Lots of other countries were way more inviting than Canada pre-COVID (or at least I found myself more welcome) and I can think of a pretty lengthy list of places I rather go first.

I pretty much agree with this post. The Mexican border has been open for quite a while and you don't have to jump though a bunch of hoops to go either. I think I'll visit and spend my money in places that actually want it. Even though Canada is technically reopening the border it seems pretty clear that they really don't really want people coming. They wouldn't even be doing it at all if it wasn't for the border areas pushing for it so hard. Like I can't imagine how much money Niagara Falls, Ontario has lost.

I'm not sure what the US is going to do, but I'd impose the same restrictions on their people that they're imposing on ours. Seems fair to me.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

oscar

Quote from: ozarkman417 on July 19, 2021, 10:39:03 PM

Even a hassle for longer trips, too. The worrisome feature is that even with an acceptable negative test result, a border agent can still require you to have and potentially use a quarantine plan. That could easily screw up a multi-stop itinerary with overnight stays, like the one I usually have on my trips to Canada.

I definitely want to go at some point, but not immediately, since my summer is pretty much booked up. Maybe by late September/early October, when we should have more clarity on some of these issues.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 19, 2021, 09:50:34 PMPolitics aside, the arrogant attitude a lot of Canadians have towards American tourists in general (which has worsened since COVID) has really left a sour taste in my mouth.

I have relatives that live in the Detroit suburbs and they stopped going over before Covid broke out because of that.

Former WWE wrestler Bob Holly also wrote this in his book about going to Canada:

QuoteMontreal is completely the opposite of Australia---there seems to be a lot of rude people in Montreal. Several times when I stopped to ask for directions, the French Canadians just looked at me funny and walked off. I never did like going into Canada, period. Not many of the boys did. It was always such a hassle at customs. We entered other countries without a problem, but getting into Canada could be brutal. They'd take forever with us; it was torture. Any time we worked there, we'd get paid in Canadian dollars, so when the exchange rate was bad, we lost money like crazy. You'd better believe that seeing Canada on the schedule was a real buzzkill.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: LM117 on July 20, 2021, 09:18:03 AM
QuoteMontreal is completely the opposite of Australia---there seems to be a lot of rude people in Montreal. Several times when I stopped to ask for directions, the French Canadians just looked at me funny and walked off. I never did like going into Canada, period. Not many of the boys did. It was always such a hassle at customs. We entered other countries without a problem, but getting into Canada could be brutal. They'd take forever with us; it was torture. Any time we worked there, we'd get paid in Canadian dollars, so when the exchange rate was bad, we lost money like crazy. You'd better believe that seeing Canada on the schedule was a real buzzkill.

Typical.  Americans love to bash Canada for having soft borders, but then complain when the border turns out actually not to be porous.

Americans can enter Canada a full month before anyone else in the world can, but obviously Canadians only have an arrogant attitude to the US.

And of course, let's not forget that Canada has made its border opening announcement prior to any announcement from the US side.  So Canada has opened it's border (or at least announced it's intention to open the border) to Americans before American's have opened its border to Canadians.

And then of course there are issues like free trade.  One of the hallmarks of the previous governments election platform was renegotiating NAFTA.  Of course, during that renegotiated deal, the US unilaterally decided to impose trade tariffs on goods under the ridiculous guise of "national security".  What a quintessentially American thought -- you are only pro-free trade when it suits you.  If someone else gets to make a buck, then fuck'em.

And then there's the point that the US by presidential order, decreed that no vaccines could be exported to Canada or other countries.  Again, there's this thing called free-trade.  So, the reason that Canada (and other countries) don't have the same level of domestic vaccine production because the economies of Canada (and other countries) have been so integrated with that of America.  That was a dick move on behalf of the Americans.  And now of course, despite the fact that the US has one of the best vaccine production rates in the world, nearly 50% of America's population is literally to stubborn to get vaccinated.

And let's not ignore the mess that occurred on January 6.  Watching a countries Capitol Building be overrun by a bunch of clueless right wing thugs used to be the type of thing reserved for (to paraphrase the previous administrations parlance) shithole countries.

I'm looking forward to the border opening again.  I'm eager to visit some cities that I haven't been to in a couple of years, but to all of the American's out there, my friends, don't pretend you haven't had some rather fouling smelling fecal matter drifting north over the past few years.  It's ignorant and insulting.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Henry

The Blue Jays will play out their remaining home schedule at Rogers Centre, starting 7/30:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31829476/toronto-blue-jays-get-approval-canada-health-officials-july-30-return-reportedly-likely

And more than likely, the Raptors will be heading back home as well, after spending a year exiled in Tampa.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 20, 2021, 09:42:23 AM

Typical.  Americans love to bash Canada for having soft borders, but then complain when the border turns out actually not to be porous.

Americans can enter Canada a full month before anyone else in the world can, but obviously Canadians only have an arrogant attitude to the US.

And of course, let's not forget that Canada has made its border opening announcement prior to any announcement from the US side.  So Canada has opened it's border (or at least announced it's intention to open the border) to Americans before American's have opened its border to Canadians.

And then of course there are issues like free trade.  One of the hallmarks of the previous governments election platform was renegotiating NAFTA.  Of course, during that renegotiated deal, the US unilaterally decided to impose trade tariffs on goods under the ridiculous guise of "national security".  What a quintessentially American thought -- you are only pro-free trade when it suits you.  If someone else gets to make a buck, then fuck'em.

And then there's the point that the US by presidential order, decreed that no vaccines could be exported to Canada or other countries.  Again, there's this thing called free-trade.  So, the reason that Canada (and other countries) don't have the same level of domestic vaccine production because the economies of Canada (and other countries) have been so integrated with that of America.  That was a dick move on behalf of the Americans.  And now of course, despite the fact that the US has one of the best vaccine production rates in the world, nearly 50% of America's population is literally to stubborn to get vaccinated.

And let's not ignore the mess that occurred on January 6.  Watching a countries Capitol Building be overrun by a bunch of clueless right wing thugs used to be the type of thing reserved for (to paraphrase the previous administrations parlance) shithole countries.

I'm looking forward to the border opening again.  I'm eager to visit some cities that I haven't been to in a couple of years, but to all of the American's out there, my friends, don't pretend you haven't had some rather fouling smelling fecal matter drifting north over the past few years.  It's ignorant and insulting.

I don't dispute the issues you state above on the U.S. side of things, there is certainly a lot of bad.  All the same, the assumption that most of us supported things like what (or act a certain way) you describe above is the generalization I'm referring to.  I rather just go somewhere else where nobody cares where I'm from or assumes something about me because of it.

wanderer2575

Quote from: US 41 on July 19, 2021, 11:48:26 PM

I pretty much agree with this post. The Mexican border has been open for quite a while and you don't have to jump though a bunch of hoops to go either. I think I'll visit and spend my money in places that actually want it. Even though Canada is technically reopening the border it seems pretty clear that they really don't really want people coming. They wouldn't even be doing it at all if it wasn't for the border areas pushing for it so hard. Like I can't imagine how much money Niagara Falls, Ontario has lost.

I'm not sure what the US is going to do, but I'd impose the same restrictions on their people that they're imposing on ours. Seems fair to me.

So first you say you'd rather spend your money in places that want it, and then you say let's impose our own restrictions on Canadians who might want to spend their money here.  Please run that past us again.  Canada at least is doing it for health-related reasons (whether or not you agree with their reasoning), whereas your reasoning is akin to sticking out your tongue and saying "same to you, fella."

On a separate note, Canada isn't opening to cruise ships until November 1st, which is still four months earlier than previously announced.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/07/15/cruise-ships-canada-waters-ban-lifted-november/7983543002/

Flint1979

It'll probably be a long time if ever if I ever return to Canada. I have no plans on ever returning to the country.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 20, 2021, 09:57:22 AM

I don't dispute the issues you state above on the U.S. side of things, there is certainly a lot of bad.  All the same, the assumption that most of us supported things like what (or act a certain way) you describe above is the generalization I'm referring to.  I rather just go somewhere else where nobody cares where I'm from or assumes something about me because of it.
You mean you are signing up for Antarctic expedition?? That is COOL!

On a different note, way before covid, there was a trend of americans stocking on maple leaf merchandise before european trips to disguise their origin... Why would that be?

SP Cook

Sadly, SOME Canadians define their country in terms that can come off as insulting to Americans.   As "not America" .   Sort of like being "non-dairy creamer"  it is odd, defining something as what it is NOT, rather than what it is.  This can come off as arrogant and condescending.

Further, IMHO, French Canadians hate English Canadians, and Americans can get mistaken for an English Canadian and get treated in the same shabby manner.  In my experience, when Quebeckers know you are an American, their attitude changes totally. 

As to "non-essential"  travel, really, the country, from what I see on the news and from YouTubers that I trust, remains shut down and thus does not have the tourist infrastructure to make a trip enjoyable.  Combined with the need for a $100 test and the overwhelmed health care system if one did get sick, from C*** or whatever, makes it a pass for at least a few more years. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on July 20, 2021, 10:12:35 AM

On a different note, way before covid, there was a trend of americans stocking on maple leaf merchandise before european trips to disguise their origin... Why would that be?

Actually an Antarctic expedition sounds like a once in a life thing that I would love to do. 

Usually I would just avoid the topic of where I was from on previous trips to Canada.  Most people in person are generally nice and it would be fair to say most (this goes for people anywhere) are indifferent to where people are from in general.   Being a Red Wings fan wearing anything from the Toronto Maple Leafs was a no-no. 

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: wanderer2575 on July 20, 2021, 10:01:33 AM
Quote from: US 41 on July 19, 2021, 11:48:26 PM

So first you say you'd rather spend your money in places that want it, and then you say let's impose our own restrictions on Canadians who might want to spend their money here.  Please run that past us again.  Canada at least is doing it for health-related reasons (whether or not you agree with their reasoning), whereas your reasoning is akin to sticking out your tongue and saying "same to you, fella."

On a separate note, Canada isn't opening to cruise ships until November 1st, which is still four months earlier than previously announced.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/07/15/cruise-ships-canada-waters-ban-lifted-november/7983543002/

Max, you are free to do what you like, but if you think that Mexican's have a more favourable view of American's than Canadians do, you're out of your mind.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: SP Cook on July 20, 2021, 10:15:26 AM
Sadly, SOME Canadians define their country in terms that can come off as insulting to Americans.   As "not America" .   Sort of like being "non-dairy creamer"  it is odd, defining something as what it is NOT, rather than what it is.  This can come off as arrogant and condescending.

Further, IMHO, French Canadians hate English Canadians, and Americans can get mistaken for an English Canadian and get treated in the same shabby manner.  In my experience, when Quebeckers know you are an American, their attitude changes totally. 

As to "non-essential"  travel, really, the country, from what I see on the news and from YouTubers that I trust, remains shut down and thus does not have the tourist infrastructure to make a trip enjoyable.  Combined with the need for a $100 test and the overwhelmed health care system if one did get sick, from C*** or whatever, makes it a pass for at least a few more years. 

Yeah, Quebecers usually will treat English speaking American's far more favourably than English speaking Canadians.

Canadians who speak English ought to know better.  Lol.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 20, 2021, 10:26:37 AM

Actually an Antarctic expedition sounds like a once in a life thing that I would love to do. 

Usually I would just avoid the topic of where I was from on previous trips to Canada.  Most people in person are generally nice and it would be fair to say most (this goes for people anywhere) are indifferent to where people are from in general.   Being a Red Wings fan wearing anything from the Toronto Maple Leafs was a no-no.
I looked up antarctic opportunities at some point. US has essentially a small town there, main coastal base is 3k population or so. Many common folks are welcomed - for example, maintenance workers like plumbers, electricians, etc.

As for care where you're from.. a lot of times that shows up regardless of what you want to show. And some (not sure about %%, as counterexamples tend to blend in) Americans tend to treat outsiders as subpar people - that is often visible regardless of what you say. That is fairly well visible in this thread, if you think about it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on July 20, 2021, 10:40:32 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 20, 2021, 10:26:37 AM

I looked up antarctic opportunities at some point. US has essentially a small town there, main coastal base is 3k population or so. Many common folks are welcomed - for example, maintenance workers like plumbers, electricians, etc.

As for care where you're from.. a lot of times that shows up regardless of what you want to show. And some (not sure about %%, as counterexamples tend to blend in) Americans tend to treat outsiders as subpar people - that is often visible regardless of what you say. That is fairly well visible in this thread, if you think about it.

Given my field of work there is probably a decent chance I could have some opportunities to visit said base Antarctica.  I'm not sure how my wife would feel about me being out of the house a sustained amount of time but it would be interesting. 

As an example it was fairly obvious my wife isn't Canadian given her accent and ethnicity.  Generally I blend in more with the crowd in Canada because I have a stock Midwest accent and really kinda just look like everyone else.  It's the complete reverse in Europe since my wife speaks fluent Spanish and my Midwest accent is a dead giveaway that I'm from North America. 

Speaking for myself I've personally never cared where people are from.  We have a lot of family on my Wife's side that are Mexican Citizens, to me that is just a normal thing (which probably has a lot to do with how long I've lived in the Southwest). 

zzcarp

Strawman. Many on this forum and in other places advocate for an even more open border without checks similar to the EU arrangement.

Everything after the but is irrelevant-no one but your strawman said that only Canadians had an arrogant attitude. Most Canadians that I've met are nice people, and I've met a handful who dislike the US. In fact, I remember being called a "dirty American" when I was 10 or 11. That was literally the only time a Canadian said that to my face.

And of course, let's not forget that Canada has made its border opening announcement prior to any announcement from the US side.  So Canada has opened it's [sic] border (or at least announced it's intention to open the border) to Americans before American's [sic] have opened its border to Canadians.

Yes, this administration has fallen down in pressuring Canada to reopen as well as taking steps to reopen the border on the US side.

The previous administration's lack of support for free trade was disturbing. And, at the end of the day, we replaced NAFTA with the US-Canada-Mexico free trade agreement which was essentially the same. That said, I'm shocked, shocked, that there are hypocrites in positions of power. It's not just quintessentially American, it's quintessentially human.

I believe that the goal was to get all Americans vaccinated, and the export ban was lifted once we started having surpluses. That said, I don't get the vaccine hesitancy other than as a tribal status symbol. I mean, besides his instincts that lockdowns were bad, Trump's greatest accomplishment in COVID was Operation Warp Speed accelerating and purchasing the vaccines.

"Overrun" is an overstatement-there really was never any danger of the government falling as happens in "shithole countries". It was a mess, those who actually broke in or caused damaged should be prosecuted, and it just wasn't as big of a deal as many wish to make it for their political purposes.

QuoteI'm looking forward to the border opening again.  I'm eager to visit some cities that I haven't been to in a couple of years, but to all of the American's out there, my friends, don't pretend you haven't had some rather fouling smelling fecal matter drifting north over the past few years.  It's ignorant and insulting.

Considering Canada has been operating as an authoritarian dictatorship the last year with the most stringent restrictions in the first world, there's plenty of "fecal matter" going around. That said, it took the two bumbling idiots Trump and Trudeau to close the Canadian border in the first place, and it should never have been closed at all. My family has owned property there since the 1930s, and we were denied our right to use and access that property for the first time ever. My great grandparents, grandparents, and mom were even able to use it during World War II, and even the short closure at 9/11 was only a few days, not 16 months.

I'm happy that it is reopening and that my dad and I will be able to spend some time there at our place next month even with the silly and onerous restrictions including a PCR test and a quarantine plan that won't need to be used.
So many miles and so many roads

AsphaltPlanet

^ Sure, there are many on this forum that do advocate for less border scrutiny than there currently is.  It's a complicated issue fraught with legitimate sovereignty issues.

But, following 9/11, it was fairly common to hear about how the terrorists entered the US from Canada because Canada has lax border security.  Which was obviously pretty frustrating to hear as a Canadian.  No countries border security is perfect, neither the US's or Canada's, but it was pretty annoying to hear that somehow it was Canada's fault that the towers were knocked down.  (Even if it was just said as an implication).

Canada's shit smells bad too.  I am not (and was not) trying to imply that it doesn't.  Probably the most defining thing about the culture of Canada (certainly English Canadian culture at least) is the fact that Canadians aren't Americans.  I've always found to be a weak spot of Canada's cultural identity.

For as much as I am not a Trump supporter, he should be championed for Operation Warp Speed -- it was his greatest accomplishment, following a fairly bumbled early response to the pandemic.  To his credit though, many (most?) world leaders mishandled the early days and months of the pandemic.

The border closure has impacted those on both sides of the border.  There are many Canadian snowbirds who own property in the south, some who chose not to go down this winter, while others who chose to go down, had to either stay in the US, or face rather onerous quarantine restrictions upon their return.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.