News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Brunswick's Highways

Started by AsphaltPlanet, October 26, 2021, 09:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

A few photos of the open spandrel concrete arch bridge that formerly carried the Trans-Canada Highway overtop of the St. John River in Hartland New Brunswick.  Hartland is the site of the world's longest covered bridge, but to me, this structure is more interesting:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NB/130/NB130_cl_DSC02501_Oct21_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NB/130/NB130_cl_DSC02512_Oct21_24x16.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Concrete Bob

For a province having a population of about 790,000 residents, New Brunswick sure has an extensive network of freeways.  I am impressed.     

Alps

It also likes its Super 2s. I just clinched 11 and it moves quickly on the north side of the province.

andrepoiy

Quote from: Concrete Bob on October 26, 2021, 10:49:11 PM
For a province having a population of about 790,000 residents, New Brunswick sure has an extensive network of freeways.  I am impressed.   

Yeah, I was scratching my head why NB looked like they had a higher density of freeways than say Maine. I wonder where that money come from...

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 28, 2021, 09:45:34 PM
A couple of views of the Route 8 bridge in Fredericton on a foggy October morn:

Very nice!

The Princess Margaret Bridge. It carried the Trans Canada Highway into Fredericton when TCH Route 2 followed the north side of the Saint John River from near Jemseg. Route 8 was routed across the bridge in 2001 when the new Fredericton-Moncton divided highway opened and stayed on the south side of the river through Oromocto.   

AsphaltPlanet

I find the old two-lane segments of former Trans-Canada pretty interesting to be honest.  Some of the old two lane interchanges are really relics from a bygone era.

Chris

Quote from: andrepoiy on October 27, 2021, 09:21:51 PM
Quote from: Concrete Bob on October 26, 2021, 10:49:11 PM

Yeah, I was scratching my head why NB looked like they had a higher density of freeways than say Maine. I wonder where that money come from...

The New Brunswick freeway system is relatively new, there was hardly any freeway mileage before 1990, except through St. John. The first longer distance freeway was St. John to Moncton, which was completed in the late 1990s.

They created the New Brunswick Highway Corporation in 1995. It was a PPP to build the Fredericton - Moncton Highway as a greenfield four lane freeway (completed in 2001) and later the four laning of the entire Trans-Canada Highway, completed in 2007.

The Fredericton - Moncton Highway was a toll road for only a brief period of time, the tolls were scrapped even before the entire project was completed.

Another big project was the Route 1 Gateway Project, to upgrade Highway 1 from St Stephen to St John. This was completed in stages until 2012.

Stephane Dumas

A little bump to mention then the Centennial Bridge in Miramichi will be refurbished with a sidewalk.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/centennial-bridge-miramichi-sidewalk-1.6378550

QuoteA major refurbishment of the Centennial Bridge in Miramichi will include a sidewalk, the provincial government confirmed this week.

"We're very pleased to see that our advocacy efforts have worked," Miramichi Mayor Adam Lordon said of the city and resident efforts to ensure a pedestrian crossing is maintained.

The province is in the midst of a refurbishment of the bridge built in 1967 estimated to cost $100 million now expected to wrap up in 2025. The work was funded by both the provincial and federal governments.

The 1.1-kilometre span is a significant link in the city. It's a connection between northern and southern New Brunswick, but also for residents in the city separated by the Miramichi River.

AsphaltPlanet

Signage at the interchange between NB-1 and NB-2 near Moncton, New Brunswick, taken in October, 2021.  Interestingly, this interchange uses Ontario's Type 2 style overhead sign supports.  Quebec's overhead sign supports seem more common in my unscientific recent memory of New Brunswick:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NB/2/NB2_dv_424_west_Oct21_24x16.jpg

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/NB/2/NB2_dv_423-1_west_Oct21_24x16.jpg

andrepoiy

Alps

Quote from: andrepoiy on June 11, 2022, 11:16:36 PM
empttyyy
Yeah it's never been clear why 1 needed to be a freeway all the way to Maine.

andrepoiy

Quote from: Alps on June 12, 2022, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: andrepoiy on June 11, 2022, 11:16:36 PM
empttyyy
Yeah it's never been clear why 1 needed to be a freeway all the way to Maine.

I find it quite funny that the whole province of NB (population of 770k) has so many freeway miles, while in Alberta, Hwy 2 between Edmonton and Calgary (both metro areas of population 1.4 mil) isn't even fully controlled-access.

webfil

And yet, this has to be among the busiest rural interchanges in NB, linking the three most populous urban areas in the province (although they be mid-sized towns with a population of 100-150k). 2012 figures are somewhere around 15 kvpd. Anything over 20 kvpd on a freeway is exceptionnal in New Brunswick, with such measurements only seen in/around Saint John, Moncton, Fredericton and Shediac areas.

New Brunswick has a low "twinning trigger", working on 4-laning when the numbers hit 8 kvpd. The four-laning of highway 1 west of Lepreau, the desertic NB-95 and NB-2 redundancies with pre-existing expressways (7, 15, 130, etc.) might be justified by something else, such as "we got the federal/Irving/McCain to tell us to do it this way" or "it looks darn good on a map".

AsphaltPlanet

Its some luxury to be able to consistently twin highways with such low traffic volumes.

I'd love to see both Hwy 11 and Hwy 8 twinned along the eastern edge of New Brunswick.  I'd love to see that paired with a new Autoroute in Québec, either an extension of A-20 or say A-95, to better link the eastern shore of New Brunswick with the A-20/401 corridor in Québec and Ontario.  Places like Campbellton and Bathurst feel far more remote than they need to.

Alps

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 15, 2022, 02:53:49 PM
Its some luxury to be able to consistently twin highways with such low traffic volumes.

I'd love to see both Hwy 11 and Hwy 8 twinned along the eastern edge of New Brunswick.  I'd love to see that paired with a new Autoroute in Québec, either an extension of A-20 or say A-95, to better link the eastern shore of New Brunswick with the A-20/401 corridor in Québec and Ontario.  Places like Campbellton and Bathurst feel far more remote than they need to.
You may like it, but I can tell you from traveling it during a summer weekend, the 8/11 corridor doesn't need twinning as a freeway.

AsphaltPlanet

I know, I've driven it Steve.

andrepoiy

I've just driven Hwy 11 from Quebec to Bathurst and man was it empty.

kirbykart

Why is this not pinned to the top like the other provinces?

vdeane

Quote from: kirbykart on October 20, 2022, 09:54:43 AM
Why is this not pinned to the top like the other provinces?
On that note, should "Nova Scotia Major Road Projects" also be pinned?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kirbykart

Thanks for pinning to the top!

Stephane Dumas

Slightly off-topic but someone on Skyscraperpage said then someone had spotted a TomTom camera car on NB-108 and one poster think it might be Bing maps doing the job.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9778785&postcount=59

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.