2022 FIFA World Cup

Started by NWI_Irish96, March 29, 2022, 06:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

An exciting end, despite France looking utterly lost for the first 70 minutes.

Third best game I've watched this year, behind the MLS Cup and CCL Final. Was worth the 7 am wakeup.

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on December 18, 2022, 01:33:04 PM

Third best game I've watched this year, behind the MLS Cup and CCL Final. Was worth the 7 am wakeup.
I'll take even the worst WC final over the best MLS Cup final.

Stephane Dumas

Some compared Messi's victory with Ash's victory in Pokemon from what I saw on this image taken from this Spanish site.
https://www.3djuegos.lat/anime/argentina-campeon-mundo-qatar-2022-ash-ketchum-leo-messi-mejores-mundo

US 89

That might have been the best soccer match I've ever watched.

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on December 18, 2022, 07:59:14 PM
That might have been the best soccer match I've ever watched.

I agree, though I think I've watched a total of twenty professional matches from start to finish.

Bruce

Quote from: thspfc on December 18, 2022, 03:46:18 PM
Quote from: Bruce on December 18, 2022, 01:33:04 PM

I'll take even the worst WC final over the best MLS Cup final.

The MLS Cup final was even more insane. Bale getting a 128th minute header to send it to PKs, where a backup goalkeeper who had only played once in the regular season got a shutout. The only mark against it was that the Cinderella team were on the losing end.

Road Hog

FOX Sports ending with "Argentina wins! Now on to the NFL" kind of sold the coverage short. FOX cheaped out from the get-go.

formulanone

Quote from: Road Hog on December 19, 2022, 02:28:46 AM
FOX Sports ending with "Argentina wins! Now on to the NFL" kind of sold the coverage short. FOX cheaped out from the get-go.

They probably only budgeted enough time to deal with two extra times and PKs, and suddenly it's noon. Would have been nice to have 5-10 minutes of post-game, but...but...[looks around at 95% of America]

JayhawkCO

Don't forget the whitewashing of human rights atrocities in Qatar.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 19, 2022, 01:36:04 PM

Don't forget the whitewashing of human rights atrocities in Qatar.

FOX was in a tough spot on two counts. First of all, they didn't sign up to televise a November-December World Cup. They had obligations with both the NFL and FIFA that had to be met. They knew the time difference would mean low viewership during the week, but then it got moved to a time when the weekend games, which they were counting on to make their money, were up against college and pro football.

As for the whitewashing, they told the whole story, just not right before/during/after game broadcasts.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

9 AM to 11 PM in UTC+3 (Qatar), the times that are reasonable for playing assuming a 2-hour game, are 1 AM to 3 PM in my time zone and 10 PM the previous day to 12 PM on the West Coast. Most of these times shouldn't conflict with American football except for early afternoon games. (I don't know if Qatar had 9 AM games, but I know Olympics events often start that early). In fact, they can fill what would normally be dead times. Given that you say that FOX only did it because they were required to, they probably got higher viewership during the morning hours than they would if nothing was going on and didn't lose out on PM American football coverage.

Am I missing something? Not following the NFL or college football at all or even watching TV, I probably am.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2022, 04:57:49 PM
9 AM to 11 PM in UTC+3 (Qatar), the times that are reasonable for playing assuming a 2-hour game, are 1 AM to 3 PM in my time zone and 10 PM the previous day to 12 PM on the West Coast. Most of these times shouldn't conflict with American football except for early afternoon games. (I don't know if Qatar had 9 AM games, but I know Olympics events often start that early). In fact, they can fill what would normally be dead times. Given that you say that FOX only did it because they were required to, they probably got higher viewership during the morning hours than they would if nothing was going on and didn't lose out on PM American football coverage.

Am I missing something? Not following the NFL or college football at all or even watching TV, I probably am.

There were 11am and 2pm (ET) games on the weekends that partially or fully clashed with college/NFL. Had to depress ratings compared to what those time slots would have done in the summer.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

You're not missing anything. You said it:
Quote from: 1 on December 19, 2022, 04:57:49 PM
except for early afternoon games
Even though these typically attract fewer viewers than later games, they're still big on TV and no doubt took a lot of eyes off the WC games.

Bruce

The blame should also be shared with FIFA. The trophy lift was an hour after the end of the match due to some understandable logistical issues (such as having two heads of state on the field), but it just took so damn long to get there. Historically, it was done within minutes of the last kick.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.