Why are trays in fast food restaurants so heavy?

Started by bandit957, October 10, 2023, 09:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Why?????

Every time I go to a fast food or cafeteria-style restaurant, the trays are always ridiculously heavy. When I lug my meal from the counter to my seat, I have to walk at a snail's pace, and I'm afraid of dropping the whole thing because it's so heavy. One of these days, it'll happen, I'm sure. Just you watch!

Why are the trays so heavy? Is it really necessary?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Scott5114

How much do they weigh? Have you ever weighed them? Have you noticed any difference between Kentucky and Ohio?

I can't remember ever having this problem in fast food restaurants in Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, Arizona, or Nevada. I don't eat at cafeterias, so I'm not sure if I would have a problem there.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

I've personally noticed some variation in weight.  Fast-food restaurants tend to favor lightweight trays, but the dining facilities at my undergraduate university served food cafeteria-style and used fairly heavy trays.  As they cleaned them with heat as well as moisture (using either a commercial-grade dishwasher or a specialized autoclave), the added weight might have had to do with improving their tolerance to repeated harsh cleaning.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Scott5114

A durability thing seems likely—fast food trays are generally kept stationary and the food is brought to them, whereas cafeteria trays move from station to station as they're being loaded, so there's a greater risk of being smacked against a hard surface. Fast food trays can take a little bit of abuse, but I have seen them snap in half if abused.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tmoore952

I worked in fast food (McDonald's circa 1983-88) and the trays there were very light (brown plastic).
Come to think of it, I'm not sure how they got cleaned (except for wiping them off), but since I was a grill person that really wasn't in my task list. The counter people (people who took orders etc.) took care of that.

I haven't eaten in a fast food place, or a cafeteria, for a long time now, so I'm not familiar with what kind of trays get used nowadays. I would hope they are large enough to hold everything.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

Back in the '70s, Sonic used aluminum trays instead of the red plastic ones they use now. They also used to put little plastic animals on the edge of the cup when you ordered a drink. They also had the #3 burger, which came with hickory sauce and lettuce (I always ordered it with no lettuce because I don't eat grass) which was the best thing on the menu. Now you can order a burger and put Sonic BBQ sauce on it, but it isn't the same.

Road Hog

Ever since Covid, a lot of fast food places don't even use trays anymore, but instead give out dine-in food in to-go bags at the counter. In-n-Out Burger does still use trays. Our local Sonics never use trays.

SectorZ

Quote from: Road Hog on October 12, 2023, 11:03:04 AM
Ever since Covid, a lot of fast food places don't even use trays anymore, but instead give out dine-in food in to-go bags at the counter. In-n-Out Burger does still use trays. Our local Sonics never use trays.

Or Five Guys, that never used trays in the first place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.