News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Appearances of “Highway Gothic” (FHWA sign fonts) in non-road-related contexts

Started by KCRoadFan, October 22, 2023, 11:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I have a credit card with Citibank, and I've noticed that the Citi app - which I use to make payments on my card - heavily features the FHWA "Highway Gothic" typeface (the font that appears on most freeway signs in the US) probably because Citi uses that font in their logo.

That made me wonder: aside from Citi, where else have you seen "Highway Gothic" used in a context or situation not involving or related to roads or road signs? I'm sure there's at least a few examples.

MikeTheActuary

When I worked with Citigroup 25ish years ago, Citi's branding standards called for the use of the Interstate font, which is close to, but not quite Highway Gothic.

Radiohead's "In Rainbows" graphics/CD booklet made use of the Roadgeek fonts (despite the license being non-commercial/hobbyist use only....)

Henry

NBC Sports also used the Roadgeek fonts in their graphics packages during the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember those from the years where I watched Kobe Bryant win his first three NBA championship rings.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.