Why it’s so expensive to be single in the U.S.

Started by ZLoth, November 07, 2023, 05:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Why is staying single a bad financial decision? I cover my rent and living expenses just fine, without the expenses of a 2nd person

Rothman

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 11, 2023, 04:47:38 PM
Why is staying single a bad financial decision? I cover my rent and living expenses just fine, without the expenses of a 2nd person
As the article says, married people are even better off, nowadays.

Get married.  Make babies.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2023, 06:09:53 PM

With each kid though you are chipping into that advantage.  The jump in health care for just me and my wife versus a family plan alone was startling.  That doesn't even start getting into things like daycare costs. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 11, 2023, 06:15:18 PM

With each kid though you are chipping into that advantage.  The jump in health care for just me and my wife versus a family plan alone was startling.  That doesn't even start getting into things like daycare costs.
Eh, just live in poverty and have one of the parents stay home.  That's how we did it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2023, 06:16:05 PM

Eh, just live in poverty and have one of the parents stay home.  That's how we did it.

I don't think my wife or I could tolerate being the one who does that.  Fortunately we are financially in a position where we can pay for the two line items I noted above.  Problem is that both of us now are in our early 40s and that window for at least one kid is closing.  I guess that's the calculus though, neither of us was willing to impoverish ourselves to have a kid.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 11, 2023, 06:19:15 PM

I don't think my wife or I could tolerate being the one who does that.  Fortunately we are financially in a position where we can pay for the two line items I noted above.  Problem is that both of us now are in our early 40s and that window for at least one kid is closing.  I guess that's the calculus though, neither of us was willing to impoverish ourselves to have a kid.
We all make our own choices.

kkt

Quote from: Rothman on November 10, 2023, 01:10:56 PM
I'm reminded of Judge Judy's mantra that she would live in a closet before living with a roommate.

Because of her job, she probably sees disproportionately more roommate arrangements that don't work out.

Rothman

Quote from: kkt on November 11, 2023, 07:33:58 PM
I'm reminded of Judge Judy's mantra that she would live in a closet before living with a roommate.

Because of her job, she probably sees disproportionately more roommate arrangements that don't work out.
As a television celebrity?

Max Rockatansky

^^^

As a glorified television arbitrator.

Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2023, 07:04:03 PM

There have been forces at work outside of "choice" that have dictated why we don't have at least one child after getting married.  Unfortunately, those forces are biological and something we can only do so much to control.

That said, I don't regret waiting on having kids.  I'd much rather have things play out like they have and at least have financial stability before considering kids.  We are both vested in our pensions and have a home we can afford.  The only thing that isn't ideal now for children is our age. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 11, 2023, 10:49:43 PM
^^^

As a glorified television arbitrator.

Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2023, 07:04:03 PM

There have been forces at work outside of "choice" that have dictated why we don't have at least one child after getting married.  Unfortunately, those forces are biological and something we can only do so much to control.

That said, I don't regret waiting on having kids.  I'd much rather have things play out like they have and at least have financial stability before considering kids.  We are both vested in our pensions and have a home we can afford.  The only thing that isn't ideal now for children is our age.

Well, sure.  So, we all make our own choices based upon all the variables in our lives.

kphoger

My wife stays home, but she also works from home.  During the day, she operates a licensed home daycare and homeschools our boys.  Outside of work hours, she also does direct sales for Scentsy.  So, in that sense, we have the best of both worlds:  she can stay home (as she has always wanted to do), and she also earns income.  Plus, the daycare pays us, not the other way around.  But.  Her total income is still not nearly what it would be if she had a full-time traditional job.  Our kids are on state aid health insurance, my wife and I aren't insured at all, and we just recently (at over age forty) earned our way out of the food stamp program.

But, when we were first married, we decided to wait a year to have kids—until we had saved up some money and could afford it.  A year came and went, we had no savings and couldn't afford it.  So we just decided to have a baby anyway and just trust that God would take care of us.  No real 'plan'.  Here we are, three kids later.  Both of us would rather have a family than be rich, so overall we're pretty happy with our life.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

If either of us hypothetically would be in a position to be a stay at home parent long term it probably would be me.  My career field is dying and I have less than a decade to become fully vested in my pension.  My wife is in a booming career field and has a four degree behind her.  Right now I make more money and have more prospects, but I anticipate that to change in the next decade.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2023, 11:11:31 AM
If either of us hypothetically would be in a position to be a stay at home parent long term it probably would be me.  My career field is dying and I have less than a decade to become fully vested in my pension.  My wife is in a booming career field and has a four degree behind.  Right now I make more money and have more prospects, but I anticipate that to change in the next decade.
Security is dying??

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on November 13, 2023, 11:24:24 AM
If either of us hypothetically would be in a position to be a stay at home parent long term it probably would be me.  My career field is dying and I have less than a decade to become fully vested in my pension.  My wife is in a booming career field and has a four degree behind.  Right now I make more money and have more prospects, but I anticipate that to change in the next decade.
Security is dying??

A very slow death, yes.  There tends to be peaks and valleys, but the overall trajectory is downward.  "Safety" everything on the other hand is booming and probably where I would need to go if something ever happened to my current career field.

kphoger

My wife ... has a four degree behind.

Now, that's one description of a woman's derrière that I've never heard before...
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 11:50:11 AM

Now, that's one description of a woman's derrière that I've never heard before...

I don't dislike it though.  I might try it out on her to tonight and see what reaction it gets.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2023, 11:52:26 AM

Quote from: kphoger on November 13, 2023, 11:50:11 AM

I don't dislike it though.  I might try it out on her to tonight and see what reaction it gets.

One has to wonder what each "it" refers to in that reply...
Male pronouns, please.

Laura

There are huge risks with doing that, though, particularly for the parent who stays home. My mom stayed home with me and my brother for a decade. She went back to work in a field that was much lower paying in order to have a better work/family balance (because someone has to be the primary parent to deal with kids and doctors appointments, school activities, etc.) My dad first became ill at age 43 and died at 52. Fortunately he had a pension because otherwise we would have been so, so screwed because there were periods of time he medically could not work.

Ideally, if you were to poll people who identify as the "primary parent" (which the majority of the time is the mom) they/we would prefer to be able to work in a professional field part-time because we are still working on evenings and weekends on the house and kids. However, US society is not set up this way. Most fields that require advanced degrees also require working 40+ hours a week and there is no option for less except for zero. Lots of fields that have flexibility pay like crap, like service jobs and day care jobs.

Regarding health care, because I have chronic health issues, I max out my HSA annually and spend it. Health care is not cheap, especially when you have regular appointments for physical and mental therapies.

Rothman

My wife then re-entered her field when the kids were self-sufficient and she is now a professor.  So, because she managed it, everyone can. :D

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Laura on November 21, 2023, 02:05:25 PM
Most fields that require advanced degrees also require working 40+ hours a week and there is no option for less except for zero. Lots of fields that have flexibility pay like crap, like service jobs and day care jobs.

And even then, a lot of so-called "flexible" jobs like fast food places will push back on you for treating them like a second job if it is one for you.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

texaskdog

I pay 46% of my income on rent and I'm okay with that as I have no debt and a really nice apartment.  But mentioned to my girlfriend together we pay $3200/month for two small apartments and once she is ready we'll both have a lot more.  Living alone is so expensive!

texaskdog

Yes, I had a friend ask me about moving in together.  Not no but hell no. 

kkt

I know.  It may be a closet, but it's MY closet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.