News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Forum question: Avatars

Started by DSS5, August 14, 2013, 09:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSS5

What is the maximum pixel and file size for avatars, I couldn't find either one in settings.

I figured out from looking at other people's that a standard user's limit is 80x80. Now I wish to know what magic some users are using (like Thing 342 and vdeane) are using to have their non-square shaped avatars blend in with any post background.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: DSS5 on August 14, 2013, 09:38:44 AM
Now I wish to know what magic some users are using (like Thing 342 and vdeane) are using to have their non-square shaped avatars blend in with any post background.

Their images have a transparent background to them.

vtk

Quote from: SSOWorld on December 30, 2009, 12:08:34 PM
[A]vatars that are uploaded to the AARoads server ... width: 150px, height: 80px.

For avatars that are hosted elsewhere and linked to the forums, the size limit [is] 65x65.

Users are more than welcome to upload their avatars to the AARoads server.  Please keep avatars within the size limit.

If you want an avatar where the background shows through in parts, you'll need to use an image format which supports transparency, and of course an image editor that knows how to work with transparency.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

vdeane

Also, in my case, it's one of the built-in avatars.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

J N Winkler

I use PNG.  I am not sure my avatar has any areas that are completely transparent, but it does have a fade effect which requires an image format that supports alpha-channel transparency, which PNG does.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

DSS5

Thanks everyone! :) I found out by googling that Paint on Windows 8 can't save transparency, so I used an online image editor. I now have it looking pretty much the way I want it to.

Alps

vtk

Wasn't that thread about avatar sizes a sticky before?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: vtk on August 14, 2013, 11:28:16 PM

I thought so too.  I'll make a note to dig around later today and see if I can find it and re-sticky it.

Truvelo

I didn't realise PNG supports transparency. I have an early version of Photoshop Elements and there's no option for it. I've always used GIF Construction Set but that only supports GIF.
Speed limits limit life

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Truvelo on August 17, 2013, 08:08:10 AM
I didn't realise PNG supports transparency. I have an early version of Photoshop Elements and there's no option for it. I've always used GIF Construction Set but that only supports GIF.

Download GIMP then.  Your mind will be blown, but in a good way. ;)

vtk

Quote from: Truvelo on August 17, 2013, 08:08:10 AM

PNG supports full RGBA color mode, with up to 16 bits per channel (though almost no software knows what do do with more than 8 bits per channel).  So you can have translucent pixels (which enables anti-aliasing against background) and aren't limited to a 256-color palette.

Years ago, there was limited use for PNG on the Internet.  It was supported by IE and most other browsers, but IE6 (most of the market at the time) didn't display RGBA-type PNG images correctly.  It did correctly display paletted PNGs with a transparent color, but since this offered no practical advantages over GIF, few people bothered.

The only reason GIF is still around is because there's so little software support for Animated PNG.

hotdogPi

I have a picture of Alanland Interstate -0.5 on my computer from the Shield Generator, but when I try to use it as an avatar, it says "either too large or not an avatar". Is there any way to fix this? (I can't show you the picture, because it's on my computer and not on the Internet.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

DaBigE

Quote from: 1 on November 03, 2013, 10:10:48 PM
I have a picture of Alanland Interstate -0.5 on my computer from the Shield Generator, but when I try to use it as an avatar, it says "either too large or not an avatar". Is there any way to fix this? (I can't show you the picture, because it's on my computer and not on the Internet.)

Resize it so that both the horizontal and vertical dimensions are smaller than or equal to the maximums (150 and 80 pixels respectively), and save it in one of the typical image formats (jpeg, png, and tiff all work, IIRC).
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

rickmastfan67

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 17, 2013, 06:31:24 AM
Quote from: vtk on August 14, 2013, 11:28:16 PM

I thought so too.  I'll make a note to dig around later today and see if I can find it and re-sticky it.

Just found it and made it a Sticky again.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1 on November 03, 2013, 10:10:48 PM

The image needs to be in the following formats:

PNG
GIF
JPG

And it needs to follow the size limitations outlined in this thread.

D-Dey65

I just tried to add this link as my avatar:
http://www.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/p/-still-not-finished-in-boston-central-new-jersey-or-washington-dc/

It still hasn't worked. Evidently I still haven't shrunk the copy I've saved down enough.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Zeffy

Quote from: NE2 on December 13, 2013, 03:17:27 PM
Never will be finished.

Most likely.

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 13, 2013, 03:14:00 PM
I just tried to add this link as my avatar:
<snip>
It still hasn't worked. Evidently I still haven't shrunk the copy I've saved down enough.

I believe avatars must be a maximum of 150 x 80 pixels. That's what I can get away with when I'm sizing my avatars. You could always use an I-95 shield from this site, then put your title to 'Still not finished in Boston, Central NJ, or DC' (assuming it all fits), because at the size the avatars must be, that text may be hard to read.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

hbelkins

OK, is there a reason the forum won't accept an 85 x 85 JPG that I am trying to upload as an avatar?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hotdogPi

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2014, 07:01:14 PM
OK, is there a reason the forum won't accept an 85 x 85 JPG that I am trying to upload as an avatar?

Maybe try 80 x 80?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

Yeah, I was off by 5 pixels. Thought it was 85 for the height; it's actually 80. My bad.

BTW, that's a real picture of Grumpy Cat being held by my wife.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vtk

Quote from: hbelkins on February 15, 2014, 07:15:56 PM
Yeah, I was off by 5 pixels. Thought it was 85 for the height; it's actually 80. My bad.

BTW, that's a real picture of Grumpy Cat being held by my wife.

You seem to really like Grumpy Cat. Does the Weather Kitty app only do Grumpy Cat pics, or are othere themes available?

hbelkins

It comes with a general cat theme. There are several add-ons available, of which Grumpy is one. My wife got the Lil Bub theme. She got to hold and pet both of them last summer. She went to Minneapolis/St. Paul for a Depeche Mode concert at the Minnesota State Fair, and stayed for the cat video festival the next night. Grumpy and Bub were both there and were both at an appearance at the museum that sponsored the festival the next day.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.