News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

AARoads Chat

Started by Alex, November 30, 2012, 09:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alex on November 08, 2013, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: Molandfreak on November 07, 2013, 11:58:35 PM
Thanks, cu2010!

BTW Alex, if it's not too much trouble, could you put a tab in the forum linking to the new chatroom? That makes it easier for new members to find.

James is going to readd the tab.
FYI, This new platform also includes mobile functionality,  something the old one did not have.

The Chat tab is now back. ;)

vtk

The old chat worked just well enough to be usable on my phone. Just sayin'.

The new one looks like it will work too, and it's nict that it doesn't try to do things that don't work on my phone.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

cu2010

Quote from: Molandfreak on November 07, 2013, 11:58:35 PM
Thanks, cu2010!

No need to thank me. I wanted the chat back so I could fail at trivia once more. :)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Dr Frankenstein

vtk: The old one not only required Flash, it was also riddled with bugs. It looked a lot like it was coded by some guy who picked up a couple of ActionScript tutorials and started hacking away with no basic knowledge of algorithms and programming.

route56

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 08, 2013, 10:00:03 AM
vtk: The old one not only required Flash, it was also riddled with bugs. It looked a lot like it was coded by some guy who picked up a couple of ActionScript tutorials and started hacking away with no basic knowledge of algorithms and programming.

Sounds like someone who normally does government contracts ::ducks::
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

NE2

Damn privatization.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

andy3175

Quote from: vtk on November 08, 2013, 02:43:11 AM
The new one looks like it will work too, and it's nict that it doesn't try to do things that don't work on my phone.

I tried the chat feature out a few nights ago, and I thought it worked great.

I did notice that if I clicked over the language button, it would reset my session (i.e., the logging would not work anymore). But that's not a big deal; it didn't boot me out of the room or anything.

Regards,
Andy
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Alps

Fun side note: You can log in from multiple browsers, have multiple nicknames, share nicknames with other users, and make yourself invulnerable! Learn how at www.aaroads.com/forum/chat today!

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on January 29, 2014, 12:33:00 AM
make yourself invulnerable!

I can't find any option to do that. I wouldn't even know what it does.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

corco

Boo. why did you spoil the secret before we got a chance to wreak havoc with it

vtk

I figured out how someone with access to the JavaScript code (which is stored on AARoads servers) can modify the palette of text colors available to chat participants.  I find the current 17-color selection a bit limited, so here I propose a palette of 43.  It's essentially the FHWA standard colors, plus lighter/darker/grayer variants of most of them.

I think a few of these could possibly be considered redundant, and eliminated, right?  Is there something notably missing?  I think it would be prudent to get community consensus before attempting to implement the change, especially considering I don't have the privileges to do it myself.  :D

Alps

Quote from: vtk on February 02, 2014, 11:17:39 PM
I figured out how someone with access to the JavaScript code (which is stored on AARoads servers) can modify the palette of text colors available to chat participants.  I find the current 17-color selection a bit limited, so here I propose a palette of 43.  It's essentially the FHWA standard colors, plus lighter/darker/grayer variants of most of them.

I think a few of these could possibly be considered redundant, and eliminated, right?  Is there something notably missing?  I think it would be prudent to get community consensus before attempting to implement the change, especially considering I don't have the privileges to do it myself.  :D
I'm all for it if there's a way to test it out in a sandbox.

vtk

Quote from: Alps on February 02, 2014, 11:34:37 PM
Quote from: vtk on February 02, 2014, 11:17:39 PM

I'm all for it if there's a way to test it out in a sandbox.

There should be a way to set up a sandbox, but I think it'd require you to put a fair amount of trust in someone competent in PHP – or install a completely separate instance of the chat just for experimentation.  It's probably much easier to make a backup of the file that holds (among other things) the list of colors, so you can easily revert the change if testing doesn't go well.

Molandfreak

I prefer the standard shade of pink.  :bigass:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

vtk

Quote from: Molandfreak on February 03, 2014, 12:15:12 AM

Is this shade of pink not close enough?  I suppose I could add some super-pastels, but they're only going to be useful if people switch to one of the styles with a dark background.

Alps

Quote from: vtk on February 04, 2014, 02:41:00 PM
Quote from: Molandfreak on February 03, 2014, 12:15:12 AM

Is this shade of pink not close enough?  I suppose I could add some super-pastels, but they're only going to be useful if people switch to one of the styles with a dark background.
How about some Alps' Roads standard colors?

bugo

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.