News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

El Paso, TX

Started by roadwaywiz95, March 31, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 21, 2022, 05:49:40 PM
Has anyone gone to El Paso, and fallen in love with a Mexican girl

I think |Max Rockatansky| has done both of those things, just not at the same time.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Stephane Dumas

Google Streetview showed some progress of the Montana Avenue freeway upgrade from May 2022. https://goo.gl/maps/6n3M9WZJwp1jTsdKA 

Kind of ironic to see this project as a partial revival of the 1963 Trowbridge-Montana freeway proposal. https://www.texasfreeway.com/ElPaso/historic/freeway_planning_maps/images/el_paso_1963_annotated.jpg

Anthony_JK

Doesn't El Paso stuff belong in Mid South, rather than Mountain West?

US 89

Quote from: Anthony_JK on June 23, 2022, 10:19:57 PM
Doesn't El Paso stuff belong in Mid South, rather than Mountain West?

Nah. El Paso is a western city. Makes way more sense to group it with Arizona than it does with Louisiana.

jtespi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 23, 2022, 09:31:22 AM
Google Streetview showed some progress of the Montana Avenue freeway upgrade from May 2022. https://goo.gl/maps/6n3M9WZJwp1jTsdKA 

I'd say they have about 6 more months before they complete all of the mainline section of the Montana Expressway. They already opened part of the eastbound mainlines in March, from just east of Global Reach to Lee Blvd. On Street View, that's shown as the old westbound alignment of Montana Ave. in their April 2022 imagery.

Also, did you notice this? https://goo.gl/maps/zGQBYBAjiAZbmP9A7 I thought the sign was placed in error before I realized it is for construction vehicles only.

The I-10 widening project on the westside is going to start up soon. TxDOT has already paved over the right shoulder and rumble strip of eastbound I-10 from Vinton to Canutillo. They'll shift traffic away from the center median to do most of the widening work there.

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if the flyover ramps at Global Reach Drive and Loop-375 are still in the plans as shown in that old video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2Ke4mu4Vkc

And slightly off-topic I spotted this clip showing vintage photos of downtown El Paso.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwhPiPhmlSY

jtespi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on June 24, 2022, 09:30:12 AM
I wonder if the flyover ramps at Global Reach Drive and Loop-375 are still in the plans as shown in that old video?

Yes, I believe those flyover ramps are still in the plans.
On the TxDOT project tracker site (https://apps3.txdot.gov/apps-cq/project_tracker/), project ID 037402116 is about "constructing direct connectors." However, the project limits are from Global Reach to Zaragoza; so I think those are only referring to the entrance/exit ramps on the Montana Expressway.

Earlier today, I was finally able to capture the new full-color LED lane signs TxDOT has installed near the US-54/I-10 interchange. The LED displays appear to be similar to the variable speed limit signs installed on roads near Seattle. However, it just looks like TxDOT is using the ones in El Paso to provide advanced lane guidance by showing the highway shield above each lane.

This is the location in Google Maps with Street View from just last month (the displays were off when the imaging car passed) - https://goo.gl/maps/whXBAvwwdNukMgeG7.

Hopefully, in the future they can use these to provide variable speed limits and lane guidance (like lane closed ahead) whenever there's an accident or heavy traffic.

bwana39

I pasted this over from the mid-south sub. I think it sums up why El Paso discussion fits here.

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 08, 2022, 09:09:26 AM
Quote from: bwana39 on August 08, 2022, 08:18:15 AM
Quote from: jtespi on August 07, 2022, 01:18:41 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on August 06, 2022, 12:31:22 PM
EL PASO IS NOT DEAD!

I really wish it weren't the case but it seems like I'm the only one posting on El Paso specific discussion threads. The most active thread is actually in the Mountain West forum because people thought it made more sense there (I agree). There's a lot of interesting stuff happening in El Paso regarding roads like the upcoming reconstruction of I-10 through the city, the Montana Avenue Freeway, and upcoming Borderland Expressway (formerly Northeast Parkway).

Some of the places on the line between two different AAROADS defined regions really struggle with this. The Memphis area between Mid-South and Southeast. (Western Tennessee is in Mid-South but Tennessee is in Southeast.) Where should North West Mississippi fit? It is part of metro-Memphis. Where do Mississippi River crossings fit? Where does Louisiana transition.? I-35 at the Red River?

I am sure there are lots of others. El Paso is closer to Phoenix than to DFW or ANY of the major Texas cities. It is similar in distance from Midland as to Tucson. Most of us from east of US-281 will make it to El Paso once a decade or so. It just is not familiar to the average Texan or anyone from, as I said, east of US-281; even farther east than Texarkana, Orange, or Waskom (IE Past Texas).

I agree.  I used to travel to El Paso about twice a year because I loved it out there, and even then, I felt like it was in another world from the rest of Texas.  Texas in general seems to forget about El Paso, until something good happens out there and then everyone wants to claim it.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

CanesFan27

The Ghostbuster

I've noticed there are two El Paso, TX threads; one in the Mid-South board, and one here in the Mountain West board. Would it be possible to merge the two threads into only one of the boards?

JKRhodes

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on July 15, 2023, 10:21:24 PM
I've noticed there are two El Paso, TX threads; one in the Mid-South board, and one here in the Mountain West board. Would it be possible to merge the two threads into only one of the boards?

My vote is to merge into mid-south.

jtespi

Mountain West for me. El Paso is by no means part of "the South", "Mid-South", or anything like that. El Paso is firmly part of the West and the Rocky Mountain region since the Franklin Mountains are an extension of the Rockies.
---

Anyways, the I-10 widening project in West El Paso is well underway.
Now, the Redd Road Exit 9 offramp for I-10 EB is closed until the new year as it gets rebuilt and probably moved/reconfigured.
They are almost ready to shift traffic over to the new concrete section that was built in the median. The main choke point now is the narrow arroyo bridges north and south of Transmountain. Traffic on I-10 EB is down to one lane due to that narrow section and it causes backups almost daily.

DJStephens

Quote from: jtespi on August 08, 2023, 03:08:30 AM
Mountain West for me. El Paso is by no means part of "the South", "Mid-South", or anything like that. El Paso is firmly part of the West and the Rocky Mountain region since the Franklin Mountains are an extension of the Rockies.
---

Anyways, the I-10 widening project in West El Paso is well underway.
Now, the Redd Road Exit 9 offramp for I-10 EB is closed until the new year as it gets rebuilt and probably moved/reconfigured.
They are almost ready to shift traffic over to the new concrete section that was built in the median. The main choke point now is the narrow arroyo bridges north and south of Transmountain. Traffic on I-10 EB is down to one lane due to that narrow section and it causes backups almost daily.
With the amount of freight (Class A trucking) that goes through there, it is unbelievable they didn't plan to keep two lanes open.   In that construction zone.  An enourmous amount of freight, quite a bit of it could have been funneled via Anthony Gap, if there had been "normal" foresight and planning to have such an option in place by now.   Actually it should have been in place thirty years ago.   

StogieGuy7

Nope, El Paso belongs in Mountain West.

Frankly, the inclusion of any part of Texas in "mid south" at all is questionable at best. As for El Paso, it doesn't belong on the mid south board any more than Denver belongs on the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley board.

JKRhodes

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on August 10, 2023, 04:29:02 PM
Nope, El Paso belongs in Mountain West.

Frankly, the inclusion of any part of Texas in "mid south" at all is questionable at best. As for El Paso, it doesn't belong on the mid south board any more than Denver belongs on the Great Lakes/Ohio Valley board.

My thought is that El Paso is in line with geographically, socially with the rest of the Rocky Mountain West. However, road design characteristics are in line with the rest of Texas so it should be included on a roads forum with the rest of the state. There's also a good argument to be made for giving Texas its own board but that also opens the door for California, New York, Illinois and Florida. I can't speak to whether or not the forum admins would want to go down that road.

The Ghostbuster

It seems like everyone has moved new replies for El Paso, TX to this thread (Mountain West), while the Mid-South El Paso, TX thread last received a reply from bwana39 on July 27, 2023, at 9:39:17 PM EST. The other El Paso, TX thread hasn't been locked, but it looks like this one is the thread that will be used from here on out.

Rothman

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 10, 2023, 10:19:00 PM
It seems like everyone has moved new replies for El Paso, TX to this thread (Mountain West), while the Mid-South El Paso, TX thread last received a reply from bwana39 on July 27, 2023, at 9:39:17 PM EST. The other El Paso, TX thread hasn't been locked, but it looks like this one is the thread that will be used from here on out.
Madness.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.