Control City Freak (YouTube Channel)

Started by jaehak, September 16, 2021, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Looking at the list of highways and the upcoming calendar and assuming you treat each I-84 to one video each and split I-85 into two parts that will bring you to I-86 for Thanksgiving. Since that highway also has two parts I'm wondering if we'd get the Pennsylvania-New York one or the very exciting I-86 in Idaho!

Scott5114

Quote from: Amaury on October 14, 2022, 05:21:14 AM
I can't comment on the control cities themselves and whether or not they make sense as I'm not experienced enough nor do I understand enough on being able to tell if X control city makes more sense than Y control city or vice-versa.

Part of the thing that makes arguing over control cities so appealing to so many roadgeeks is because it's all subjective. As long as you don't argue ludicrous positions like not posting Pittsburgh because it is "gross" or not posting Baltimore because a freeway got canceled there, you should be fine.

Quote from: jaehak on October 16, 2022, 12:13:21 PM
Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on October 14, 2022, 06:23:30 AM
I love your rants about Limon in Colorado, and your overall sense of humor.  You are a must watch for me every Thursday.  BTW, while the Ukrainian army was surrounding Lymon in eastern Ukraine in the last two weeks and eventually captured it, I kept thinking about your YouTube channel, since both cities are pronounced the same way.

Thanks! And yeah that was weird, I was totally shocked by all that.

I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who was like "Geez, what it is with people fighting over towns named Limon/Lyman?"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: jaehak on October 13, 2022, 12:42:05 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on October 08, 2022, 07:47:51 PM
After which interstate would you anticipate the Northeast ranking state DOTs video to be released?

95, which will probably be 4 parts, so somewhere in the mix of those
Looking forward to more PA shade in the Northeast DOTs video then (and I'm guessing PA will either be last or 2nd last there)  :-D

Amaury

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 20, 2022, 07:58:17 PMPart of the thing that makes arguing over control cities so appealing to so many roadgeeks is because it's all subjective. As long as you don't argue ludicrous positions like not posting Pittsburgh because it is "gross" or not posting Baltimore because a freeway got canceled there, you should be fine.

I'm meaning more along the lines of I can't look at these (https://goo.gl/maps/VbhXuMUFV4VqGhPs6), for example, and say Vantage and Selah, respectively, should be there instead.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

TMETSJETSYT

Quote from: jaehak on October 20, 2022, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 19, 2022, 04:24:31 PM
I look forward to the next video every Thursday, so I was surprised to see the one for I-83 come out today. Any particular reason why it was posted a day early?

Also: because Thanksgiving is a Thursday, here's a question I have regarding that week: will you be posting a video that day, doing it the day before or the day after, or just skipping that week entirely?

Just a brain fart on my part, I scheduled it to release on the wrong day lol. I'll Most likely post on Thanksgiving.
Hey, just a question. (btw im subscribed on both my accounts) When you finish the 2dis, are you gonna do the 3dis, or just parkways and other highways? Ive been wondering that for a while now. Thanks.
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

jaehak

Quote from: TMETSJETSYT on November 15, 2022, 10:20:48 AM
Quote from: jaehak on October 20, 2022, 02:33:12 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 19, 2022, 04:24:31 PM
I look forward to the next video every Thursday, so I was surprised to see the one for I-83 come out today. Any particular reason why it was posted a day early?

Also: because Thanksgiving is a Thursday, here's a question I have regarding that week: will you be posting a video that day, doing it the day before or the day after, or just skipping that week entirely?

Just a brain fart on my part, I scheduled it to release on the wrong day lol. I'll Most likely post on Thanksgiving.
Hey, just a question. (btw im subscribed on both my accounts) When you finish the 2dis, are you gonna do the 3dis, or just parkways and other highways? Ive been wondering that for a while now. Thanks.

I'll do some 3dis but probably not all of them. Will definitely hit the bigger ones.

TMETSJETSYT

Thanks for responding man. Maybe you also could do some turnpikes/toll roads too. That would be cool.
Roads I have clinched- I-84 (MA-CT-NY-PA), I-78 (NY-NJ-PA), I-395 (DC-VA), I-695 (Both DC and NY), I-490 (NY), I 390 (NY), I-787 (NY), I-287 (NY-NJ), I-795 (NC), I-140 (NC), I-295 (Both VA and MD), I-270 (MD), And I am only 13 so I have much more to clinch.

invincor

If you just want to skip piddly little 13-mile North Carolina I-87, or just give it a one-minute prologue in the "real" New York I-87 video, I for one wouldn't mind.

ThatHighwayGuy777

alright but imo i think for I-80 in PA the mileage sign should be this
Bloomsburg
I-81
New York City

why bloomsburg because it has pretty much a travel center that is close to I-80 such as the walmart and mcdonalds and stuff

wriddle082

Hey Todd, it looks like someone started another thread about their opinion on what all 2di control cities should be:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32850.0

Might need to go over there and school them a bit!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: wriddle082 on February 08, 2023, 05:52:05 PM
Hey Todd, it looks like someone started another thread about their opinion on what all 2di control cities should be:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32850.0

Might need to go over there and school them a bit!
I was inspired by Todd (Controlcityfreak) to make the list. My only big disagreement with Todd is that Springfield should be signed on I-49 south in Kansas City. That's uh not a very good choice IMO for various reasons. We have other disagreements but they are all minor.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

invincor

I tried to add this comment to today's I-90 Central video, but YouTube deletes any comments that have links within them.

When it comes to "Wisconsin Welcomes You" signage on the interstates and US highways, they're usually positioned further to the right of the highway than many other states do, and sometimes even in the first in-state rest area.  Google Street View might not always pick them up.  This website link has a picture of the I-90 one heading into Wisconsin from Illinois (scroll down just a tad when you get there):  https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wisconsin/welcome-to-wisconsin-wi/

Lesser highways get a smaller blue sign like this: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/welcome-to-wisconsin-gm453035617-25668705

On another topic:  the Janesville control signage in the far southern part of the state was done recently when I-90 was widened there, and I've little doubt it was all part of the infamous Foxconn manufacturing plant boondoggle that former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan was behind. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: invincor on February 09, 2023, 01:22:16 PM
I tried to add this comment to today's I-90 Central video, but YouTube deletes any comments that have links within them.

When it comes to "Wisconsin Welcomes You" signage on the interstates and US highways, they're usually positioned further to the right of the highway than many other states do, and sometimes even in the first in-state rest area.  Google Street View might not always pick them up.  This website link has a picture of the I-90 one heading into Wisconsin from Illinois (scroll down just a tad when you get there):  https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wisconsin/welcome-to-wisconsin-wi/

Lesser highways get a smaller blue sign like this: https://www.istockphoto.com/photo/welcome-to-wisconsin-gm453035617-25668705

On another topic:  the Janesville control signage in the far southern part of the state was done recently when I-90 was widened there, and I've little doubt it was all part of the infamous Foxconn manufacturing plant boondoggle that former Speaker of the House Paul Ryan was behind.
I'm glad that you hate Albert Lea as much as I do!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

dmuzika

At some point would you consider doing the Trans Canada Highway (mainline) between Victoria, BC and St John's, NF?

jaehak

Quote from: dmuzika on February 11, 2023, 10:57:49 AM
At some point would you consider doing the Trans Canada Highway (mainline) between Victoria, BC and St John's, NF?
Yes!

chrismarion100

Here is something interesting to mention in the I-94 video.
For some reason, WisDOT decided that the control city for I-94 EB is Chicago as the primary control city while Madison is the secondary control city. What is weirder that the only place I-94 EB control city being Chicago/Madison is SB 53 at I-94 in Eau Claire with all other signs along both I-94 and along US 53 relating to I-94 EB only having Madison however, can't confirm if signs alone I-94 said either Madison or Chicago/Madison since WisDOT probably replaced the signs around 2006 when the US 53 bypass opened up. Thankfully, WisDOT removed Chicago from this sign sometime between 2011 and 2018.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7733665,-91.4298001,3a,75y,135.33h,88.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMmJw0mGG42ukFY031tDhzA!2e0!5s20110901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Amaury

I posted this as a comment on one of your videos, but I'll post it here as well.

I think it would be nice if you were to also do US highways, such as US 97 and others, and local state highways, such as WA 14, OR 35, and others. While not exactly like interstates, they still have signs saying X points are in Y miles and the like. I would love to see your thoughts on those as well.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

dmuzika

Quote from: jaehak on February 17, 2023, 03:40:21 PM
Yes!

That's great! If you need any help with research for the route, feel free to PM me.

jaehak

Quote from: chrismarion100 on February 17, 2023, 05:07:52 PM
Here is something interesting to mention in the I-94 video.
For some reason, WisDOT decided that the control city for I-94 EB is Chicago as the primary control city while Madison is the secondary control city. What is weirder that the only place I-94 EB control city being Chicago/Madison is SB 53 at I-94 in Eau Claire with all other signs along both I-94 and along US 53 relating to I-94 EB only having Madison however, can't confirm if signs alone I-94 said either Madison or Chicago/Madison since WisDOT probably replaced the signs around 2006 when the US 53 bypass opened up. Thankfully, WisDOT removed Chicago from this sign sometime between 2011 and 2018.
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7733665,-91.4298001,3a,75y,135.33h,88.48t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sMmJw0mGG42ukFY031tDhzA!2e0!5s20110901T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Oh, interesting! Glad I saw this now while I'm in the preliminary phases of 94. Thanks!

jaehak

Quote from: Amaury on February 17, 2023, 05:33:53 PM
I posted this as a comment on one of your videos, but I'll post it here as well.

I think it would be nice if you were to also do US highways, such as US 97 and others, and local state highways, such as WA 14, OR 35, and others. While not exactly like interstates, they still have signs saying X points are in Y miles and the like. I would love to see your thoughts on those as well.

Will definitely do some US routes in the future

jaehak

Quote from: dmuzika on February 20, 2023, 03:37:21 PM
Quote from: jaehak on February 17, 2023, 03:40:21 PM
Yes!

That's great! If you need any help with research for the route, feel free to PM me.

Thanks!

Brandon

Quote from: invincor on February 09, 2023, 01:22:16 PM

Foxconn is over in Racine off I-94.  I-90 has nothing to do with Foxconn.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jaehak

I've got a March Madness style tournament of State DOTs going. Will post here, might move it to the main page later.  https://youtu.be/KvYmdHwGk3Y

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.