News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-80 Reroute in Wyoming

Started by Plutonic Panda, January 31, 2022, 05:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

The stubbornness of Federal officials can be explained by the rationale that the fewer miles they had to build for a given interstate, the more mileage they had available to give to another route.  Given the volume of requests they had for Interstate mileage even in the 1950s (let alone with the 1968 addition), this seems reasonable.  Of course, we now see the results of that.

SD Mapman

Quote from: froggie on March 10, 2023, 12:16:22 PM
The stubbornness of Federal officials can be explained by the rationale that the fewer miles they had to build for a given interstate, the more mileage they had available to give to another route.  Given the volume of requests they had for Interstate mileage even in the 1950s (let alone with the 1968 addition), this seems reasonable.  Of course, we now see the results of that.

And it was a flyover state requesting the additional miles. I could see some East Coast bureaucrat looking at the numbers and thinking "Why does the middle of nowhere need more Interstate miles? Just draw a straight line as best you can and get it over with."
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

kkt

Quote from: SD Mapman on March 10, 2023, 09:13:33 PM

And it was a flyover state requesting the additional miles. I could see some East Coast bureaucrat looking at the numbers and thinking "Why does the middle of nowhere need more Interstate miles? Just draw a straight line as best you can and get it over with."

The Federal bureaucrats would be more likely than not to favor the small population states.  Wyoming may not have enough people to make even one burrough of New York, but they've still got two senators.

SD Mapman

Quote from: kkt on March 10, 2023, 09:31:40 PM
Quote from: SD Mapman on March 10, 2023, 09:13:33 PM

The Federal bureaucrats would be more likely than not to favor the small population states.  Wyoming may not have enough people to make even one burrough of New York, but they've still got two senators.

That only works if the senators notice and raise a stink about it. I'm surprised someone from the area didn't try to get Congress involved.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.