News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What ever happened to the 3M signal heads?

Started by roadman65, May 01, 2023, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I was noticing that NJ as well as PA, that the 3M left turn signal heads as well as second signal straight through heads where intersections that are close to each other that require in between vehicle stacking, are all now been phased out.

Was there any issues with them?

https://goo.gl/maps/bn3DvG8mUZV8FDWQ9
The above image shows one that had one upon installation in the mid eighties that now has the standard head for the protected left turns here. Too bad GSV wasn't capturing images back in those days for comparison, but anyone living in NJ or NY for decades can remember when the 3M was norm for left turn signals.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jay8g

They've been out of production for so long that I imagine getting replacement parts (if one gets damaged or whatever) is near impossible. They also require specialized light sources -- it looks like LED versions are available these days, but I'm sure DOTs would prefer not to have to stock too many types of replacement light modules.

roadman65

Not only, that I speculate that because vertical panels inserted to the visors can achieve the same effect, spending the extra $, is not needed.

Though the use of them at the second of two intersections close together the panels of that nature wouldn't work to hinder the orientation. However I think nowadays they'll use red light cameras to deter light jumpers who are tempted by that fact light number two remains green longer than light number one in the two intersections usage of them.

Sheryl Crowe

Henry

I've always disliked these signals because not only were they ugly, but the lenses were too hard to see; by the turn of the millennium they were as outdated as most of the 80s products had become. IOW, 3M signals are the worst traffic control devices ever made, and I don't miss them one bit!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Rothman

Quote from: Henry on May 03, 2023, 10:53:08 AM
I've always disliked these signals because not only were they ugly, but the lenses were too hard to see; by the turn of the millennium they were as outdated as most of the 80s products had become. IOW, 3M signals are the worst traffic control devices ever made, and I don't miss them one bit!
I remember liking them because they looked futuristic when I was a kid.  But, yes, stupidly hard to see.  With some, you can't see the lights until you're under them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ran4sh

Yeah I never had any issue with them. Although it wasn't until I was a roadgeek, that I learned why they are used in certain locations (now that I think of it, I never saw an intersection that *only* used 3M signals)
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

jeffandnicole

I believe NJ uses the McCain optically programmable version now, one of which was recently installed on NJ 45 at Kings Highway per this GSV: https://goo.gl/maps/m3SpNHzUpEcJpjex5 . While covered and not operational in this view, it is now being used.

roadman65

Quote from: Henry on May 03, 2023, 10:53:08 AM

At shallow angle intersections, despite their appearance, they prevented the other roadway from seeing your signal and also  prevented, at two close intersections where the second light had a delayed red where it turned red after the first to clear the stack area for turning vehicles from the first intersection, drivers from seeing the next block signal. That was done to prevent the urge to run the first signal after seeing the second is still green.

However, nowadays your chances of winning the lottery are greater than being spotted for jumping a red light ( unless the camera is there) by law enforcement, but if one were to run a stoplight now, it's not because the next intersection signal is still green.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.