News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Emergency Vehicle Turnaround Sign on Interstates

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 07, 2023, 01:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

I noticed this sign last week while driving in the desert southwest.  It is a blue, black, blue sign denoting where emergency vehicles can cross the median on an interstate.  I have never seen them before, so I wondered how new they are and what states use them.  I saw them in New Mexico, Utah, the I-15 segment of Arizona, Nevada and in California.  I don't know what they are called so I couldn't do a search to see if this topic had been covered on this forum or not.

EDIT:  One thing I failed to mention in the original post is in every instance I saw these signs, there is one upstream warning you there is an emergence crossover ahead.

epzik8

In Maryland and probably most of the east coast, they're strictly for police or emergency vehicle use.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Dirt Roads

Here's how they are marked in NCDOT District 2:  1 mile to go; 1/2 mile to go; plus standard crossover signage.  They are marked like this along I-795 and the US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro (Future I-42).  Looks like they are now also installed along I-587.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: epzik8 on July 07, 2023, 04:11:28 PM
In Maryland and probably most of the east coast, they're strictly for police or emergency vehicle use.

He was pointing out the markings used. U-Turns in the median on interstate highways are not legal in any state.

Big John

Quote from: epzik8 on July 07, 2023, 04:11:28 PM
and road maintenance vehicles.

wriddle082

Kentucky simply puts up a gigantic No U Turn symbol sign.

Tennessee and South Carolina both use the same sign that North Carolina uses, but without the advance mileage reference markers.

ISTR a state that uses the wording OFFICIAL VEHICLES ONLY on their signs but can't remember which state it was.  Does anybody know where they do this?

index

On I-26 passing over Sams Gap, there are warning signs telling you when a vehicle is using or is about to use the turnaround at the crest of the hill. None of the advance mileage signs though I believe. I've seen maintenance vehicles using it twice; construction equipment and snow plows/salt trucks, but never an actual emergency vehicle.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

ethanhopkin14

Texas uses this or a sign with slightly altered verbiage, but nothing warning anyone the crossover is coming up.

Revive 755

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 07, 2023, 05:30:35 PM
ISTR a state that uses the wording OFFICIAL VEHICLES ONLY on their signs but can't remember which state it was.  Does anybody know where they do this?

I seem to recall a similar sign somewhere, but it may have said 'Official Use Only'.

Nebraska appears to use a variant of the assembly at the start of this thread for at least one median crossover on I-80:  Streetview.

Hobart

Illinois uses a no u-turn sign with a placard underneath that says "Authorized Vehicles Only". Pretty standard, just different wording. No advanced notice either.

Here's a very standard example on I-57 near Peotone!

Also this is the first time I actually used a link embed! Wow!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

TheHighwayMan3561

MnDOT just uses a no-U-turn sign with no other posted disclaimers about emergency vehicles. I haven't noticed any advance notice signs for them.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wanderer2575

Michigan posts an "Authorized Vehicles Only" sign at the crossover, with no advance signage.

Big John

Wisconsin uses an unisign with the No U Turn symbol and the text "Except maintenance and police authorized vehicles"  https://goo.gl/maps/Sp3k4HZ4BbHxqQRcA

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Dirt Roads on July 07, 2023, 04:39:12 PM
Here's how they are marked in NCDOT District 2:  1 mile to go; 1/2 mile to go; plus standard crossover signage.  They are marked like this along I-795 and the US-70 Bypass around Goldsboro (Future I-42).  Looks like they are now also installed along I-587.

Surprise!  I saw another pair of these on I-40 east of Hickory last night.  That would be NCDOT District 12.

hbelkins

The NJ Turnpike has some unusual signs with a representation of the U-turn move, sometimes a "Z" with "1000" beneath it to indicate the crossover is 1000 feet ahead.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadfro

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 07, 2023, 01:47:46 PM
I noticed this sign last week while driving in the desert southwest.  It is a blue, black, blue sign denoting where emergency vehicles can cross the median on an interstate.  I have never seen them before, so I wondered how new they are and what states use them.  I saw them in New Mexico, Utah, the I-15 segment of Arizona, Nevada and in California.  I don't know what they are called so I couldn't do a search to see if this topic had been covered on this forum or not.

EDIT:  One thing I failed to mention in the original post is in every instance I saw these signs, there is one upstream warning you there is an emergence crossover ahead.

This is pretty standard throughout Nevada. Although NDOT's sign setup at the crossover is to have an "Authorized Vehicles Only" placard under the "No U-Turn" sign, which is more ambiguous than "Except Authorized Vehicles".
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

tylert120

Quote from: wriddle082 on July 07, 2023, 05:30:35 PM

PA uses "EMERGENCY AND AUTHORIZED VEHICLES ONLY"

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: roadfro on July 08, 2023, 07:54:14 PM

This is pretty standard throughout Nevada. Although NDOT's sign setup at the crossover is to have an "Authorized Vehicles Only" placard under the "No U-Turn" sign, which is more ambiguous than "Except Authorized Vehicles".

I love it.  Sounds like only authorized vehicles are the only vehicles that can't u-turn there.

vdeane

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on July 09, 2023, 04:58:22 PM
Quote from: roadfro on July 08, 2023, 07:54:14 PM

I love it.  Sounds like only authorized vehicles are the only vehicles that can't u-turn there.
Clearly taking a page from the AlanDOT MUTCD...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

andrepoiy

D-Dey65

Quote from: hbelkins on July 08, 2023, 07:21:57 PM
The NJ Turnpike has some unusual signs with a representation of the U-turn move, sometimes a "Z" with "1000" beneath it to indicate the crossover is 1000 feet ahead.
So, that's what those signs are for. I've been wondering about those most of my life.

JKRhodes

Arizona uses the standard R3-4 sign, but only in areas where unauthorized crossovers have been deemed a problem for whatever reason. For the most part, they are completely unmarked.

Bitmapped

WV uses pairs No U-turn signs with "Authorized Vehicles Only" signs mounted on their back sides. As a part of signage replacement projects, fixed object marker signs are installed at the far end of the crossover (see https://goo.gl/maps/LVbcySbWPVBUYtWR6) but these generally aren't replaced if something takes them out.

Standard practice in Ohio is a pair of oversized No U-turn signs with smaller "Emergency and Authorized Vehicles Only" signs mounted on their backs.

formulanone

Colorado also uses the black-and-blue paddle signs in the medians for this purpose:

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: formulanone on July 19, 2023, 07:35:38 PM
Colorado also uses the black-and-blue paddle signs in the medians for this purpose:

Yes, back to the subject at hand.  Does anyone know what they are called and why is there so much inconstancy across the US about how the emergency vehicle crossover is signed?  The blue and black paddle seems to be a four corners/desert southwest thing only. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.