News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Dating a Bridge

Started by Georgia Guardrail, December 11, 2023, 07:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on December 14, 2023, 05:22:03 PM
Don't talk about your unit.

As discussed in the Metrication thread, smaller units can be more useful.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on December 15, 2023, 10:44:25 AM
Quote from: Big John on December 14, 2023, 05:22:03 PM
Don't talk about your unit.

As discussed in the Metrication thread, smaller units can be more useful.

It's not the size of the unit that counts, it's how you use it.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2023, 11:22:38 AM

Wait, are we talking about something other than decimals now?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kphoger on December 15, 2023, 11:39:22 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 15, 2023, 11:22:38 AM

Wait, are we talking about something other than decimals now?

The Arch.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 11, 2023, 08:00:48 PM
South Carolina has also done this consistently with their bridge parapets since at least the 1930's, and I've noticed this a few times in Alabama as well but it's not consistent.  If you travel the circa mid-80's constructed section of I-65 north of Birmingham, specifically around Kimberly and Morris, the bridge parapets will have one year on the right side (either 1986 or 1987) and a different year on the left side when it was widened to six lanes (can't remember if it was late 90's or early 00's).

Getting slightly back on (the intended) topic, I think ALDOT started casting the dates into the railings of their bridges in the 1970s, when they switched to Jersey-style barriers, as the earliest I've seen a year was from sometime in the 70s in the rural parts of eastern Colbert County, I'd have to go find it again.
The older bridges (with the older styles of railings) don't seem to have typically featured the years on them. Some old railroad overpasses did, however.

EDIT: Here's the bridge I was thinking about. You can see the 1979 year cast onto the railing.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Tom958

Quote from: Georgia Guardrail on December 11, 2023, 07:29:12 PM
What are some giveaway characteristics that you can spot on a bridge and tell automatically when it was built?

I'm not well-traveled enough to say it definitively, but I think Georgia's one of the easiest states for what you're talking about, at least in the pre-Jersey barrier era. Distinctive guardrails are the main reason-- there's the move away from concrete stringers to steel, but that's a redundant factor.

Road Hog

Arkansas typically puts mini-plaques on the railing heads of bridges. I've seen them stamped into the Jersey rail of Louisiana bridges. But Texas is hit or miss.

chrisg69911

NJ has been doing it since the 30s. They also used to imprint the highway number on the opposite side, which now means a much of bridges have mismatched numbers. https://maps.app.goo.gl/QMMx24nPCRVZet4D8

Bridges built in the 60s and 70s I'm pretty sure used poor quality concrete for the dates so now wherever the date is supposed to be there's just a hole. Can't find any now on gsv but they exist.

Now they imprint the date into jersey barrier.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/q2SBBSxC8VnGkc9y6

I've actually seen them put future years on bridges, like 2024 on a bridge in 2023

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.