News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 31 freeway gap in Michigan finally will be filled (well 1 of them anyway)

Started by Terry Shea, March 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Shea

Does anyone know if any stimulus money is going to be used to fill in the non-freeway gaps along US-31 in Michigan?  I know work was supposed to begin on M-231 (to be built as a 2 lane road along the future US-31 freeway ROW and later converted when funds are in place-sounds really stupid to me) from I-96 to M-45 next year I believe, but I was wondering if the stimulus package would allow for it to be built as a 4 lane freeway sooner.  Also it seems like the Napier Ave to I-94 connection should be about ready to be built one way or the other.  Actually it should have been built years, if not decades ago.  The MDOT site is of absolutely no use.  They haven't updated either of these pages in years and seem to be very guarded about any kind of information about future projects in general, kind of like the military and the government giving out info about UFO sightings.  It would really be nice to get these projects completed during my lifetime.   

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on March 30, 2009, 11:59:00 AM
In my opinion, the stimulus money should be used for the existing road because I-196/ US 31 in Berrien and Van Buren Counties is not in good shape. Also US 31 freeway between US 12 and the Indiana Toll Road is in terrible shape as well. As far as making US 31 a complete freeway, you might as well as name it Interstate 67. You see this is why this country has to stay out of wars. The War In Iraq has cost this country at least 3 trillion dollars if not more and the money we gave to Haliburton could have been used to make US 31 from Indianapolis to Ludington and perhaps Traverse City the new I-67 freeway. We really need freeways and roads to rebuild the economy.
Yeah, but Obama's going to spend (waste) way more than that even if he eliminates a war.  But I guess as long as he's going to spend money I hope he throws some in our direction, and I hope Granholm and our legislature get their act together, but that's probably asking for the impossible.

Hellfighter

Apparently, they're still in an environmental study for the US-31 connection between Napier and I-94.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on March 30, 2009, 02:47:10 PM
Apparently, they're still in an environmental study for the US-31 connection between Napier and I-94.
No, both the FSEIS and the ROD were both given in 2004.  MDOT still hasn't updated the respective web pages but they now have this announcement on the Projects Under Study page:

Environmentally Cleared Projects

The following studies have completed the environmental clearance process, but have not been identified for construction.

I-94 Rehabilitation Study / East of the I-94/I-96 interchange to west of the Conner Avenue, Detroit
M-32 Spur Bridge
M-85/Fort Street Bridge
US-31 Connection to I-94 / Napier Avenue to I-94 in Berrien County
US-131 Improvement Study in St. Joseph County

So I guess after spending millions of dollars in the planning stages there are no current plans to get this last 2 and half mile stretch completed.  Unbelievable!

roadgeek

The MDOT site is a total farce. Nothing but useless un-updated pages. Look at other DOT sites from neighbouring states...much much better!
My Road Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roadgeek31/

Keep checking back for updates!

Terry Shea

Quote from: roadgeek on April 05, 2009, 10:42:33 PM
The MDOT site is a total farce. Nothing but useless un-updated pages. Look at other DOT sites from neighbouring states...much much better!
I agree!  Indiana looks like they have a real nice site.  Then again look at our surrounding state governments.  They don't seem to levy as many taxes as they do here and yet they don't seem to run up the deficits we do. 

Hellfighter

Maybe they should turn Napier into the rest of the US-31 freeway

Terry Shea

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on April 07, 2009, 04:50:12 PM
Maybe they should turn Napier into the rest of the US-31 freeway
It would be too disruptive.  There are businesses and residences along the stretch and it would also make for a more indirect route.  The freeway has actually been built a mile or so north of Napier Ave and I believe all the necessary parcels of land have been bought, it's just a matter of waiting for funds to come in to go ahead with the construction.  This should have been completed decades ago but these wacko environmentalists were afraid a butterfly or 2 might be inconvenienced.

leifvanderwall

Ah... I think Napier Av should be made into a freeway from the current 31 freeway to I-94 . It wouldn't be disruptive, I mean the only business the exists on that stretch is the closed down Seeyle Wright dealership and the Honda dealership.  Maybe an interchange could be built as an access to Lake Michigan College (Yore Av). Imagination does wonders. Also major repaving needs to be done on I-196 from the Coloma exit to South Haven. I really think where the debate should be is the continuing US 31 freeway from Ludington to Traverse City. I have lived in Grand Haven back in the 70s  and  it would be great for vacationers going to Manistee, Frankfort, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Leelanau communities like Leland, Northport, and Suttons Bay to have access to a freeway. In Berrien County,  I think the Britain Rd. and Highland Rd. bridges should be removed for a future interchange with the missing part of the 31 freeway. Everytime I go under those bridges I see absolutely no traffic on the old structures.

Hellfighter

According to the street view images (taken last year), there are only a handful of homes on Napier Ave and a Honda dealership. There's enough unoccupied property for the state to buy and complete the St. Joseph Bypass.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Hellfighter06 on June 17, 2009, 12:34:42 AM
According to the street view images (taken last year), there are only a handful of homes on Napier Ave and a Honda dealership. There's enough unoccupied property for the state to buy and complete the St. Joseph Bypass.
Okay guys, do you realize how ridiculous and costly this would be?  The ROD was issued on Aug. 31, 2004 to connect the new US-31 freeway to I-94 at the (relocated) Bus. I-94  interchange.  Land has no doubt already been acquired within this corridor.  In fact there is a nearly mile long stub where the freeway is to continue due north of Napier Ave.  I believe they also acquired land along the original ROW that was to connect at the I-94/I-196 interchange.  But hey, let's spend some more money and force some more people out of their homes so that we can have the freeway make a 90 degree turn to the west for 2 miles, then a more than 90 degree (130 degrees?) turn back to the east for a few miles as we multiplex it with an already overcrowded I-94, then another 90 degree turn back to the north as US-31 multiplexes with I-196.  Of course the existing US-31/Napier St. interchange that was just built (at considerable expense) a few years ago would have to be demolished, redesigned and replaced as would the Napier/I-94 interchange that was just redesigned about that same time (at considerable expense), I-94 would have to have it's widening extended from Bus I-94 to at least Napier Ave and/or aux. lanes would have be built/extended, and what would become of the nearly mile long freeway stub that is sitting there waiting to continue on?  Not to mention that Napier Ave itself was just rebuilt out to 5 lanes during this period.  Yeah, lets spend some more money and redo it again.  Michigan has all kinds of money to throw around.     :rolleyes:

Sorry, but extending the freeway along Napier Ave. makes no sense whatsoever.  Such a route would be extremely costly, have dangerous sharp turns and cause more congestion along an already overly congested I-94.  You'd be exiting and entering new freeway segments every couple of miles, changing directions and merging with other traffic.  The more direct the route and the less congested the route, the better, not to mention the disruption such a route would cause to the area by turning part of a through street into a limited access freeway for a few miles.

Terry Shea

Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2009, 07:39:41 PM
As I recall, there are environmental issues why it's not planned to continue straight to 94/196, which is why the proposal to route it to 94/BUSINESS 94 is being pursued...

Right.  They found a few butterflies they didn't want to relocate.  No doubt environmental issues would pop up along the Napier Ave corridor too.  There's a car dealership along the road.  That's like the ultimate environmental evil.  :D

Terry Shea

Quote from: froggie on June 18, 2009, 07:23:56 AM
You laugh at it, but you may not be far from the truth, depending on how much ground pollution has occured at that dealership.

Yeah, I was being serious.

Terry Shea

Right now I'm betting that the entire US-31 freeway in Indiana from I-465 to US-20 just south of South Bend will be completed before work is even started on that 2.5 mile gap between Napier Ave and BUS I-94.  Anyone want to take me up on it?  :spin:

leifvanderwall

Considering it took many years to complete the I-69 and I-696 freeways in Michigan , you would probably win that bet. But do you really think Indiana is in a big hurry to convert US 31 to an interstate corridor? I think I-65 swerved towards Chicago because the feds did not think Kokomo, Rochester, the South Bend-Elkhart-Mishawka triplex, BH-St. Joesph, Holland, and Muskegon were not really worth a major 2di.

Chris

Using I-65-I-94 towards Benton Harbor is only 30-so miles longer than US 31. But US 31 is already a divided highway, and I guess it's a pretty fast route, depending on traffic signals.

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 25, 2009, 04:11:39 PM
Considering it took many years to complete the I-69 and I-696 freeways in Michigan , you would probably win that bet. But do you really think Indiana is in a big hurry to convert US 31 to an interstate corridor? I think I-65 swerved towards Chicago because the feds did not think Kokomo, Rochester, the South Bend-Elkhart-Mishawka triplex, BH-St. Joesph, Holland, and Muskegon were not really worth a major 2di.
Uh, they're working furiously on constructing bypasses from South Bend to Plymouth and around Kokomo with construction from I-465 to SR 38 to begin in a year or so.  Much of the rest of the current alignment can easily be converted to an interstate grade freeway and plans are in the works to do so.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Chris on September 25, 2009, 04:57:22 PM
Using I-65-I-94 towards Benton Harbor is only 30-so miles longer than US 31. But US 31 is already a divided highway, and I guess it's a pretty fast route, depending on traffic signals.
It might only be 30 some miles longer, but I-94 gets very congested throughout this entire corridor.  US-31 gets very congested thru Kokomo and north of I-465 and there really should be an Interstate running between Indianapolis and South Bend.  So turning the entire US-31 corridor into a freeway is the right thing to do.

leifvanderwall

Awright!!!! But Indiana is going to have a heckuva fight on its hands getting the I-67 moniker  because I guy named Murtha wants it in Pennsylvania

Terry Shea

Quote from: leifvanderwall on September 25, 2009, 07:36:58 PM
Awright!!!! But Indiana is going to have a heckuva fight on its hands getting the I-67 moniker  because I guy named Murtha wants it in Pennsylvania
The only way they're going to get the I-67 designation is if they cheat and write it into another bill like they did with I-99.  Somebody needs to teach these Pennsylvania politicians how to count.  :happy:

mightyace

Quote from: Terry Shea on September 25, 2009, 07:45:18 PM
Somebody needs to teach these Pennsylvania politicians how to count.  :happy:

Agreed.

But, there is one thing they do know how to count:

MONEY!  :pan:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

silverback1065

I just saw an article that states the small gap in US 31 at I-94 will be filled soon, the enviromental issues have been resolved and the money is there to build it, it's on MDOTs 5 yr plan too. 

http://www.moodyonthemarket.com/Funding-to-Complete-US-31-Finally-Booked/22801825

I-39

Finally! Though it's too bad it can't connect directly into the I-94/I-196 interchange.

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

sparker

The last info I'm aware (circa about 2011 or so) of shows a full cloverleaf interchange, with C/D lanes on I-94, being built more or less on the footprint of the Biz 94-I-94 interchange south of the I-196 split.  Biz 94 will head west as it does currently, with US 31 heading ESE before turning south to the north end of the existing 31 freeway. 

I'm sure a lot of posters (myself included) would like to see a flyover from west 94 (or even an extended ramp from 196 west) to south 31, but apparently the budget isn't there to do that; from the limited info I've read, it was difficult enough for MI to scrape together the money to do the extension/interchange at all. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.