News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Sign Collecting

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 12, 2016, 11:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 29, 2016, 11:00:27 PM
US 666:  Replica 1926-48 embossed Arizona 16x16.5

Speaking of US 666 there is a section up in Utah that runs throught The Badlands (now US 191) that was originally numbered US 666, but subsequently renumbered due to the stigma of the number being biblical.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: IDriveArkansas on March 17, 2017, 10:38:38 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 29, 2016, 11:00:27 PM
US 666:  Replica 1926-48 embossed Arizona 16x16.5

Speaking of US 666 there is a section up in Utah that runs throught The Badlands (now US 191) that was originally numbered US 666, but subsequently renumbered due to the stigma of the number being biblical.

Actually it was more sign theft and that it didn't make much sense to have it part of the US 66 family after the parent route was gone.   There is still urban legends floating out there about the Coronado Trail in Arizona which is now 191 but was part of 666.  I would venture a guess that 500 plus curves in such a short stretch coupled with wild imaginations yields stories like that from the not so well traveled.  There was this whole thing on TV a couple years ago about a supposedly "haunted" highway in eastern Arizona that had me rolling my eyes.  :rolleyes:

Max Rockatansky

Some new additions arrived today; US 65 and US 425.  For some reason the US 425 is on a 24x24 blank which makes the numbers look a little strange:

IMG_5880 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_5881 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2017, 07:15:59 PM
Some new additions arrived today; US 65 and US 425.  For some reason the US 425 is on a 24x24 blank which makes the numbers look a little strange:

I saw and was almost tempted. Louisiana still uses a lot of square blanks for 3d US.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on April 07, 2017, 08:02:32 PM

I saw and was almost tempted. Louisiana still uses a lot of square blanks for 3d US.

I wanted a U.S. 65 and the seller had several.  I put in an offer and it got accepted, they were doing combined shipping so I picked up the U.S. 425 since I've driven a good portion of it as well.  The strange thing is that I have a ton of shields and street blades that were sourced in Louisiana.  For whatever reason the state isn't stingy replacing US Route signage and letting scrapers keep what they take.

US71

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 07, 2017, 08:15:32 PM

I wanted a U.S. 65 and the seller had several.  I put in an offer and it got accepted, they were doing combined shipping so I picked up the U.S. 425 since I've driven a good portion of it as well.  The strange thing is that I have a ton of shields and street blades that were sourced in Louisiana.  For whatever reason the state isn't stingy replacing US Route signage and letting scrapers keep what they take.

Call me if my "namesake" shows up ;)

Max Rockatansky

MNHighwayMan

Iowa still does, and Minnesota used to exclusively use squares too, but I think they are moving away from them (although I have yet to see a wide MN US shield).

Edit: Also US71, just for you, from my own collection, a MN US-71 marker :bigass:

cjk374

https://flic.kr/p/TiiLt7

I got these oldies from Transylvania, LA. These were from the Delta Southern RR, which is a former MP line.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

Sarcoxie, MO has 2 places with an assortment of older signs if you're ever in the area.

froggie

QuoteIowa still does, and Minnesota used to exclusively use squares too, but I think they are moving away from them (although I have yet to see a wide MN US shield).

Pretty sure I've seen a few on 169 in the Metro.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: froggie on April 08, 2017, 09:20:23 AM
QuoteIowa still does, and Minnesota used to exclusively use squares too, but I think they are moving away from them (although I have yet to see a wide MN US shield).

Cool, I'll have to take a look next time I'm up that way.

cjk374

Quote from: froggie on April 08, 2017, 09:20:23 AM

LA uses the 30×24 for (what I call) "interstate-grade" trailblazers. I use the name because the only places I have seen them were on or near freeways.

But I have noticed in the last year or so, the 30×24s have been slowly replaced by squares (both for state & US routes). The signs were all less than 10 years old and we're never damaged.

Having grown up here, squares just look better to me.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

US71

near Hamburg, IA

Kansas City, MO

MNHighwayMan

And here's a MN square 3di US shield:

(Not sure why we're sharing but I had to include Minnesota :))

Max Rockatansky

New arrival today, I've been up and down 60 so many times that I don't even have a ballpark estimate how many times I've clinched it:

IMG_5904 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Max Rockatansky

Another new arrival came in just now.  184/Weed Patch Highway is actually somewhat a rare bird to come across, especially with the weird numerals:

image1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

My CA 33 has the same numeral fonts as this sign, I wonder if Caltrans District 6 had some wort package deal at some point?

MNHighwayMan

Aw man, I missed my opportunity to post my new highway 60 marker right after yours :-P I meant to post it right away but other stuff got in the way and I subsequently forgot :pan: In any event, I got this MN-60 yesterday:

Compared to most Minnesota markers, which have little or no ghosting/shadows around the letters (from overlapping or misplaced ink/printing, I assume?), this sign has the effect quite strongly, not to mention the state outline representation is quite terrible (check out my thread for more info about that little outline). But those things are what make it unique :)

Max Rockatansky

Yeah, I never noticed that effect until you just mentioned it.  Granted I haven't spent much time in Minnesota since the 1980s, I have some cousins near Duluth that always got hand-me-downs since they were as my parents put it "less fortunate."  I always dug the design since the colors are so much unique than most other state DOTs and it has the state shield in it.  Regardless that would have been ironic timing if you got that MN 60 up just a bit earlier.  Just occurred to me that most of my California spades; 33, 58, 46, 299, and 60 all occupy previous US Routes.

On the flip side I noticed the some of the Caltrans districts have differences in the shape of the spade shield as well as font.  There is a fatter version of the standard shield that I've noticed is favorite in some districts one top of the weird font that 6 seems to like.  The weird thing is that there are some enamel shields still out there that can be easily identified with the smooth green body and yellowed out vinyl numeral like my CA 177:

IMG_5175 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

BTW I'm sure you're already aware but there are a ton of MN shields on eBay right now with low entry bid prices.  I managed to get that 184 myself for $19.95, that's the cheapest I've ever paid for a California spade.  Regardless my garage is starting to fill out nicely:

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 14, 2017, 08:45:46 PM
BTW I'm sure you're already aware but there are a ton of MN shields on eBay right now with low entry bid prices.

Oh yes, I'm always watching eBay - that MN-60 sign just came from there (just like 3/4ths of the rest of my collection, really.) Right now it's kind of hot for the state, but there are slow times too, which is okay because it's nicer on my hobby budget. Oh, and some of those Minnesota signs on there now are actually some of mine that I'm selling (or, well, trying to sell...) ;-)

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ColossalBlocks on April 14, 2017, 11:40:27 PM

Got one myself:

IMG_5300 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 14, 2017, 11:26:17 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 14, 2017, 08:45:46 PM
BTW I'm sure you're already aware but there are a ton of MN shields on eBay right now with low entry bid prices.

Oh yes, I'm always watching eBay - that MN-60 sign just came from there (just like 3/4ths of the rest of my collection, really.) Right now it's kind of hot for the state, but there are slow times too, which is okay because it's nicer on my hobby budget. Oh, and some of those Minnesota signs on there now are actually some of mine that I'm selling (or, well, trying to sell...) ;-)

That's the tricky thing, California is almost always a hot item and usually pricier than other states.  I collect for; Michigan, Arizona, Nevada, Florida, Connecticut in addition to the US Routes or Interstates I still want.  Michigan is usually the most consistent out of any of the states I look for and usually pretty cheap.  Connecticut is cheap but only comes up in spurts at a time.  People over price Arizona but usually I can talk them down since the signage tends to run modern.  Nevada rarely comes up and for some reason doesn't command a high price.  Florida almost never comes up at all which is surprising given the huge assortment of state roads that the state has.

MNHighwayMan

Out of the 17 modern US Routes that are in Minnesota, I have four of them in the modern marker design: 10, 52, 59, and 71. And yes, these shields are all Minnesota US Route shields - at one time I had a few other US Routes, but they weren't Minnesota-origin markers so the purist in me decided to sell them.

Edit: The reason they're in that order on the wall is because, well, that's the order they were in the pile when I moved last. Arranging them in a square was intentional, though.

Max Rockatansky

Really I'm onto a pretty limited list of "must haves" for US Routes:

-  US 199
-  US 98
-  US 192
-  US 17
-  US 192
-  US 212
-  US 34
-  US 550

There a couple more but I could probably stand to get but they really aren't that high of a priority.  I have everything almost everything I want for the West Coast asides from the 550 and 199 I listed above.  Between the real stuff and replicas I think that I have about 65 US Routes?  Really if I could ever get this down to picking up stray state highways that would make me pretty happy...I don't really want to exceed 300 signs in case I ever have to move to another state again.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 15, 2017, 12:13:59 AM
Really I'm onto a pretty limited list of "must haves" for US Routes:

-  US 212

You and I might have a small war if a Minnesota US-212 one appeared on eBay :colorful:

QuoteI don't really want to exceed 300 signs in case I ever have to move to another state again.

Christ, and I thought moving the ~50 or so signs I had at the time of my last move was a PITFA. Ouch.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.