News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MD 8, MD 9, MD 10 temp assignments in 1953

Started by Mapmikey, December 12, 2016, 12:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

See page 24 here - http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagser/s1800/s1883/000000/000033/pdf/msa_s1883_000033.pdf#search=1950+route+control

MD 8 was assigned to the Annapolis-Washington Expwy (opened as part of US 50)
MD 9 was assigned to the Baltimore-Harrisburg Expwy (opened as part of US 111)
MD 10 was assigned to the Baltimore-Washington Expwy (opened as part of MD 3)
MD 106 was assigned to new highway from Queenstown area to Delaware line (opened as MD 71)

There was a 5th temp designation for what became I-695 (was this once considered for a different I-195 designation?) but a fold in the page prevents seeing it.  May have been MD 781.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 12, 2016, 12:45:32 PM

MD 10 was assigned to the Baltimore-Washington Expwy (opened as part of MD 3)

MD-3 was once signed along present-day I-97 as far north as present-day I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) ("orphaned" Business MD-3 pretty well gives that away even now); then it followed I-695 west toward present-day MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Expressway back in the day, not signed with a route number south of the Baltimore Beltway), then north along MD-295 into Baltimore City, where I think it ended someplace along Monroe Street (maybe at U.S. 1 [Wilkens Avenue]).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

froggie

QuoteMD-3 was once signed along present-day I-97 as far north as present-day I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) ("orphaned" Business MD-3 pretty well gives that away even now); then it followed I-695 west toward present-day MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Expressway back in the day, not signed with a route number south of the Baltimore Beltway), then north along MD-295 into Baltimore City, where I think it ended someplace along Monroe Street (maybe at U.S. 1 [Wilkens Avenue]).

MD state official maps showed this as late as 1973.  The 1974 map is the first to show then-MD 695 along that leg of the Baltimore Beltway.

However, some early maps don't show anything along the Glen Burnie bypass after it first opened.  The 1956 map doesn't show anything at all.  This MD 10 temp designation makes sense in this case.  Mike Pruett's site suggests MD 3 has existed since the late 1920s, but my 1950s-era MD maps do not show it concurrent with US 301, which followed MD 3 after completion of the Nice Bridge and went to Baltimore before it was moved to the Eastern Shore ca. 1960.

The 1961 map shows enough detail on the Baltimore inset to show that MD 3 ended at US 1 at Monroe & Wilkens.  The map suggests Russell St also carried a state route, but it doesn't show which.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2016, 06:30:49 PM
QuoteMD-3 was once signed along present-day I-97 as far north as present-day I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) ("orphaned" Business MD-3 pretty well gives that away even now); then it followed I-695 west toward present-day MD-295 (Baltimore-Washington Expressway back in the day, not signed with a route number south of the Baltimore Beltway), then north along MD-295 into Baltimore City, where I think it ended someplace along Monroe Street (maybe at U.S. 1 [Wilkens Avenue]).

MD state official maps showed this as late as 1973.  The 1974 map is the first to show then-MD 695 along that leg of the Baltimore Beltway.

However, some early maps don't show anything along the Glen Burnie bypass after it first opened.  The 1956 map doesn't show anything at all.  This MD 10 temp designation makes sense in this case.  Mike Pruett's site suggests MD 3 has existed since the late 1920s, but my 1950s-era MD maps do not show it concurrent with US 301, which followed MD 3 after completion of the Nice Bridge and went to Baltimore before it was moved to the Eastern Shore ca. 1960.

Maryland State Roads Commission (SRC) was seemingly reluctant to sign (with route numbers) some of the new freeway-class and expressway-class roads that it built, such as the Baltimore-Washington Expressway (Baltimore-Washington Parkway, MD-295 now); the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway (I-895 now - including the "B" and "A" spurs to northern Anne Arundel County) as well as the Glen Burnie Bypass (I-97 now - the Bypass was a freeway-class route as far south as MD-174, Quarterfield Road).  Roscoe Rowe Boulevard (MD-70) was signed "Annapolis - Scenic Approach" with no route numbers on U.S. 50/U.S. 301 for many years.

On the other hand, SRC signed the Capital Beltway with I-495 shields and signs, even before all of it was completed in 1964, and I recall the Baltimore Beltway having I-695 shields and signs from around that same time (not sure about the present-day MD-695 section leading toward the site of the Outer Harbor Crossing (F. S. Key Bridge today), as I did not drive or ride on that until after the FSK opened to traffic, with some of the Super-2 approaches having MD-695 shields posted).

The Harbor Tunnel Thruway was generally signed as TO I-95 from I-695 on the southwest side of Baltimore to the end of present-day I-895, where it tied into (the untolled section of) the Northeast Expressway/JFK Highway beginning at the Baltimore City/Baltimore County border on the northeast side of Baltimore City starting in 1963 (I-895 shields only started to appear on the Harbor Tunnel Thruway sometime after about 1980, and especially after the Fort McHenry Tunnel was completed in 1985). 

TO I-95 assemblies were also posted in both  directions on the state-maintained Baltimore-Washington Expressway and the federal Baltimore-Washington Parkway as far south as the I-495 interchange in Greenbelt, those being removed after the "Between the Beltways" section of I-95 opened to traffic about 1973.

Quote from: froggie on December 12, 2016, 06:30:49 PM
The 1961 map shows enough detail on the Baltimore inset to show that MD 3 ended at US 1 at Monroe & Wilkens.  The map suggests Russell St also carried a state route, but it doesn't show which.

Maybe there was a similar reluctance to put a state route number on South Russell Street?  Even though the city has always maintained its part, I assume that the SRC would have had to agree to post a state route number on it.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.