News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on March 09, 2020, 09:25:45 PM
Oh wow, I was wondering where the cameras were set up. I thought they were gonna do photos from the "sky"  or something.
From CBS 3:

US 1 Bucks County
US 1 Philadelphia
PA 309 Bucks County
I-476 Montgomery County
I-78 Berks County

Edit below in blue:

As far as where exactly such will be set up; guess on my part, ground/vehicle-mounted camera apparatus in the work zones.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MASTERNC

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 10, 2020, 08:31:18 AM
Oh wow, I was wondering where the cameras were set up. I thought they were gonna do photos from the "sky"  or something.
From CBS 3:

US 1 Bucks County
US 1 Philadelphia
PA 309 Bucks County
I-476 Montgomery County
I-78 Berks County

As far as where exactly such will be set up; guess on my  part, ground-mounted camera apparatus in the work zones.

The cameras are located on top of white Jeep Grand Cherokees.  In fact, one photo I saw had the words "Speed Enforcement Vehicle" on the back.  In addition, there are two signs prior to the camera notifying that they are in use.  Compared to Maryland, they are making these cameras very obvious.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on March 10, 2020, 08:32:59 AM
From CBS 3:

US 1 Bucks County
US 1 Philadelphia
PA 309 Bucks County
I-476 Montgomery County
I-78 Berks County

As far as where exactly such will be set up; guess on my  part, ground-mounted camera apparatus in the work zones.

The cameras are located on top of white Jeep Grand Cherokees.  In fact, one photo I saw had the words "Speed Enforcement Vehicle" on the back.  In addition, there are two signs prior to the camera notifying that they are in use.  Compared to Maryland, they are making these cameras very obvious.

Now, if your still going 15 above the limit and spot a vehicle, you're gonna have to slam on the brakes to get below the threshold by the time you can react to it. But otherwise you're either gonna be OK, or gonna get caught!

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 10, 2020, 09:42:59 AM
Quote from: MASTERNC on March 10, 2020, 08:32:59 AM
From CBS 3:

US 1 Bucks County
US 1 Philadelphia
PA 309 Bucks County
I-476 Montgomery County
I-78 Berks County

Now, if your still going 15 above the limit and spot a vehicle, you're gonna have to slam on the brakes to get below the threshold by the time you can react to it. But otherwise you're either gonna be OK, or gonna get caught!

If you miss the advance warning signage or still aren't watching your speed, you better hope you can cut 5 MPH off quickly (the threshold for a ticket is 11 MPH over the speed limit).

famartin

My usual practice is to keep it 10 over the limit. In PA, since the work zone limits are so low (45 on I-95) and no one follows them, I usually nudge it higher, but guess I won't be doing that anymore.

It is kinda funny though, in MD they have the cameras in work zones, but a lot of work zones don't have reduced limits, so I cruise right through without a care (doing my typical +10) while half the other people around me slow down in panic.

MASTERNC

Quote from: famartin on March 10, 2020, 11:16:01 AM
My usual practice is to keep it 10 over the limit. In PA, since the work zone limits are so low (45 on I-95) and no one follows them, I usually nudge it higher, but guess I won't be doing that anymore.

It is kinda funny though, in MD they have the cameras in work zones, but a lot of work zones don't have reduced limits, so I cruise right through without a care (doing my typical +10) while half the other people around me slow down in panic.

You're OK keeping normal practice unless you see a sign for cameras.  My guess is people will only slow down if they see the signs (whether the State Police take advantage of that and run radar where there are no cameras is anybody's guess).

jeffandnicole

The DVRPC is going thru the process of "Connections 2050", which is their long-range plan for the region. 

Personally, I don't think they come close to succeeding in their goals, as they tend to be reactive rather than proactive, and any true vision can be undone real quick if a politician or local group makes enough fuss. That said, they have a survey that you can fill out to inform them of their views.  While the DVRPC should be a wide-ranging transportation planning commission, they have been very pro-anything but roads over the past 30 years, and that trend continues. For example, very few of the stated options allow for a traffic-improvement answer.  When the questions allowed an 'other' response, I made note to include the widening of the Schuylkill Expressway as a vision for the future, if for no other reason to point out that the planning commission needs to realize that cars aren't going away, and truckers still need to make deliveries to and from the city. 

Yes, if you noticed my editorialization of this, you get the hint that the commission has become more of an advocacy group for mass transit, pedestrians & bicyclists, rather than a commission that focuses on all forms of transportation for the entire region. 

As a bonus, you can also win a $50 gift card for completing the survey.

Have fun!

https://www.research.net/r/connections2050survey1

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2020, 05:23:03 PM
The DVRPC is going thru the process of "Connections 2050", which is their long-range plan for the region. 

Personally, I don't think they come close to succeeding in their goals, as they tend to be reactive rather than proactive, and any true vision can be undone real quick if a politician or local group makes enough fuss. That said, they have a survey that you can fill out to inform them of their views.  While the DVRPC should be a wide-ranging transportation planning commission, they have been very pro-anything but roads over the past 30 years, and that trend continues. For example, very few of the stated options allow for a traffic-improvement answer.  When the questions allowed an 'other' response, I made note to include the widening of the Schuylkill Expressway as a vision for the future, if for no other reason to point out that the planning commission needs to realize that cars aren't going away, and truckers still need to make deliveries to and from the city. 

Yes, if you noticed my editorialization of this, you get the hint that the commission has become more of an advocacy group for mass transit, pedestrians & bicyclists, rather than a commission that focuses on all forms of transportation for the entire region. 

Have fun!

I vote that if any of us wins $50, we have to take Jeff and Nicole (both) out for cheesesteak.

Tonytone

Quote from: Alps on June 25, 2020, 06:01:00 PM

Have fun!

I vote that if any of us wins $50, we have to take Jeff and Nicole (both) out for cheesesteak.
Official cheesesteak of philly right? Genos or Pats Jeff. 2 cheese steaks, a drink & fries will run you $62.50 & that will be cash only no card.

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Alps

Quote from: Tonytone on June 25, 2020, 06:20:24 PM

Have fun!

Official cheesesteak of philly right? Genos or Pats Jeff. 2 cheese steaks, a drink & fries will run you $62.50 & that will be cash only no card.

iPhone
I think we go with the unofficial, much better ones.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

That said, they have a survey that you can fill out to inform them of their views. 

How about we fill out a survey to inform them of your views?
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on June 25, 2020, 07:34:11 PM
iPhone

We vote yes, and we choose a place called Gooey Looies. 
https://maps.app.goo.gl/aBrXZNiRQcpnrwa58

Overstuffed, large hoagies and cheesesteaks. The pics look like crap and don't do it justice.  Well worth the toll just to stop there on occasion.

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on June 25, 2020, 10:18:59 PM

That said, they have a survey that you can fill out to inform them of their views. 

How about we fill out a survey to inform them of your views?

Sounds good to me!  I was on the Regional Citizens Committee many years ago, but wasn't really worth my time. I still get the packets of info online from them, which I occasionally share on here when there's something of interest (to me).

Hwy 61 Revisited

They still should have built the Pulaski, Roosevelt, and Cobbs Creek Expressways. And also upgraded 291 to an expressway. And extended Woodhaven Road to the Turnpike. And built a freeway along 322 in NJ to make at least a 3/4 beltway at the ACX.
And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

Tonytone

Quote from: Hwy 61 Revisited on June 25, 2020, 11:49:01 PM
They still should have built the Pulaski, Roosevelt, and Cobbs Creek Expressways. And also upgraded 291 to an expressway. And extended Woodhaven Road to the Turnpike. And built a freeway along 322 in NJ to make at least a 3/4 beltway at the ACX.
676 3rd continuous lane laughs at your list.

iPhone

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 25, 2020, 11:26:27 PM
iPhone

Overstuffed, large hoagies and cheesesteaks. The pics look like crap and don't do it justice.  Well worth the toll just to stop there on occasion.
[/quote]

That looks like a good spot! There are a couple spots on Market & by south street that serve good cheesesteaks.

Im shocked whenever people go to genos/pats. They are really shitty.

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on June 25, 2020, 11:55:21 PM
iPhone

That looks like a good spot! There are a couple spots on Market & by south street that serve good cheesesteaks.

iPhone

Many people that say Geno's and Pat's suck because they're tourist traps, and instead mention other places on tourist strips that are much better.  They're still tourist traps!!  Jim's is frequently mentioned on South Street, where all the tourists flock.  You're not going to find many residents there.

If anything, Genos/Pats actually have quite a loyal, local following. They're deep in the South Philly Neighborhood.  Sure, during the day you'll see a good number of visitors there.  But at 11pm at night, you're not seeing buses pull up, or people trying the Genos vs. Pats war.  You'll see locals walking up from the nearby streets, and walk back down those same streets.

I attribute some of the flack to the underdog nature of the city.  We have sports teams with some of the fewest championship banners in the majors.  So whenever a place is named a favorite, it's immediately looked down upon, and an underdog is named the one to believe in.  I'd bet if Genos and Pats closed down today, Jims suddenly would be the place to hate.

Besides...The really good cheesesteaks will be found in the local delis and pizzerias, without names that pop up on the Travel Channel.  They will be found throughout the region.  Not on a 10 block stretch of the tourist/night crowd section of the city.

BTW, since you mentioned the price - Genos and Pats may be a buck or two higher than the others, but they really get you on the cheese fries.  I think the last time I was there a decent serving of fries was $3 or so.  A glob of cheese on top?  Another $3!

Tonytone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 26, 2020, 01:29:12 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on June 25, 2020, 11:55:21 PM
iPhone

iPhone

Many people that say Geno's and Pat's suck because they're tourist traps, and instead mention other places on tourist strips that are much better.  They're still tourist traps!!  Jim's is frequently mentioned on South Street, where all the tourists flock.  You're not going to find many residents there.

If anything, Genos/Pats actually have quite a loyal, local following. They're deep in the South Philly Neighborhood.  Sure, during the day you'll see a good number of visitors there.  But at 11pm at night, you're not seeing buses pull up, or people trying the Genos vs. Pats war.  You'll see locals walking up from the nearby streets, and walk back down those same streets.

I attribute some of the flack to the underdog nature of the city.  We have sports teams with some of the fewest championship banners in the majors.  So whenever a place is named a favorite, it's immediately looked down upon, and an underdog is named the one to believe in.  I'd bet if Genos and Pats closed down today, Jims suddenly would be the place to hate.

Besides...The really good cheesesteaks will be found in the local delis and pizzerias, without names that pop up on the Travel Channel.  They will be found throughout the region.  Not on a 10 block stretch of the tourist/night crowd section of the city.

BTW, since you mentioned the price - Genos and Pats may be a buck or two higher than the others, but they really get you on the cheese fries.  I think the last time I was there a decent serving of fries was $3 or so.  A glob of cheese on top?  Another $3!
Oh yea not the big named spots, the smaller named spots like delarossis, maxs (if you go over north Philly), any little side street delis will make 100% better cheesesteaks then Geno's, Pats, Jims, & any other big touristy spot.

I have noticed at night that it is majority people from philly that goes to these places, I assume because its better then WAWA & its the only place open @3am. So its good for a quick fix.

However I assume Genos/Pats started off as authentic & delicious just as wawa did, but money & fame make you do things differently so you can keep up with the demand & look. So it's truly the peoples fault for the demise of these places.

Its amazing Genos/Pats only accepts cash, it surely doesn't keep costs down since like you said they charge $3.00 for fries & $3.00 for the cheese & oh yea $3.00 for a bottle of Genos finest water.

iPhone

storm2k

Quote from: Tonytone on June 29, 2020, 09:00:42 PM
Its amazing Genos/Pats only accepts cash, it surely doesn't keep costs down since like you said they charge $3.00 for fries & $3.00 for the cheese & oh yea $3.00 for a bottle of Genos finest water.

It's not, when you think about it. They're tourist traps so they can charge whatever they want. And since they don't take credit, they don't lose those percentages of their profits to the CC companies, but people will still flock there.

Tonytone

Ummm so im driving on I-76 today & notice the beams
On the over pass by the murals is literally hanging down.

Don't know if it's because I drive a pickup truck now, but it looks like this is bad.

Does penndot know about this?

iPhone

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on July 09, 2020, 07:59:55 PM

Don't know if it's because I drive a pickup truck now, but it looks like this is bad.

iPhone

They just look like different size steel beams, sloped down due to curvature of the bridge. This also shows that PennDOT is horrible in painting their bridge beams on a regular basis.

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2020, 08:53:53 PM

iPhone
They just look like different size steel beams, sloped down due to curvature of the bridge. This also shows that PennDOT is horrible in painting their bridge beams on a regular basis.

I used to work at this PennDOT district (District 6-0). I can vouch for the fact that they are meticulous about inspecting their bridges. The bridge section knows about it and it's safe.

But like j&n implied, they would also say, "paint-schmaint." Which I've always disliked.

Tonytone

Quote from: qguy on July 09, 2020, 11:31:09 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 09, 2020, 08:53:53 PM

iPhone

I used to work at this PennDOT district (District 6-0). I can vouch for the fact that they are meticulous about inspecting their bridges. The bridge section knows about it and it's safe.

But like j&n implied, they would also say, "paint-schmaint." Which I've always disliked.
Ok good. Im glad they take the bridges serious now & wont let it fail like in the 70's with the septa subway bridge in chinatown.

Thats also one thing about philly, they do not repaint bridges for anything, does the rust color bring a culture?

Also this is the other half I saw that alarmed me.

iPhone

MASTERNC

Looks like the Variable Speed Limit system is nearing launch on I-76.  There are now Variable Speed Limit Ahead warning signs on the on-ramps.  However, they are not highway size, use a Clearview-type font, and have more rounded edges than normal.

seicer

It doesn't seem to be a structural issue @Tony as much as a slight of the eye or perhaps a mismatch in Google's Streetview algorithm.

Tonytone

Quote from: seicer on July 21, 2020, 10:14:31 AM
It doesn't seem to be a structural issue @Tony as much as a slight of the eye or perhaps a mismatch in Google's Streetview algorithm.
Its just how they built the bridge. In person the beams are hanging down like they are broken. But as someone who worked for Penndot in that district said Penndot is very serious about checking bridges.

Also Im probably just noticing this now because I drive a pickup truck, compared to my old sedan.

Ive drove this strip for years & never noticed it till a couple weeks ago.

I just didnt want another mishap of the 1984 railline in center city.

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.