News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

Quote from: seicer on September 20, 2019, 08:01:39 AM
An informational workshop is being held about updates to Corridor H, which now includes a truck bypass of Thomas: Handout
FTFY

sparker

Quote from: BrianP on September 20, 2019, 11:12:39 AM
An informational workshop is being held about updates to Corridor H, which now includes a truck bypass of Thomas: Handout
FTFY

Looks like they're opting for a mostly new-terrain route.  It would also be likely that US 219 would be moved to the new Thomas bypass and intersect Corridor H/US 48 near Davis and subsequently follow it all the way to north of Elkins, where it presently departs the corridor.  But this alignment will entail a rather impressive bridge over Blackwater Gorge -- I'd certainly like to see any forthcoming plans for this structure.  But the start date of 2031 is a bit discouraging if not unexpected, considering this corridor's history. 

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on September 20, 2019, 05:49:19 PM
FTFY

Looks like they're opting for a mostly new-terrain route.  It would also be likely that US 219 would be moved to the new Thomas bypass and intersect Corridor H/US 48 near Davis and subsequently follow it all the way to north of Elkins, where it presently departs the corridor.  But this alignment will entail a rather impressive bridge over Blackwater Gorge -- I'd certainly like to see any forthcoming plans for this structure.  But the start date of 2031 is a bit discouraging if not unexpected, considering this corridor's history.

There's a decent amount of truck traffic on 219 between Parsons and Thomas now, and I'm sure truckers would appreciate a through route that takes them off that mountain. Looks like the new route will obliterate that route, but trucks still won't want to get off Corridor H there and go down to the stop sign at Thomas where they have to turn left at a T-intersection. And I'm sure the residents and businesses (many tourist-themed) in Thomas wouldn't want more heavy trucks rumbling down those one-way streets that turn much of the business district into an island in the asphalt. So the truck bypass is definitely warranted. I'm guessing a grade-separated interchange at what will be WV 32/US 48/US 219 (where WV 93 currently ends) and can't really tell, but an at-grade where WV 72 joins/departs at the foot of aforesaid mountain north of downtown Parsons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2019, 08:47:33 PM

Agree that U.S. 219 should be on Corridor H as much as it possibly can be. 

Given the massive structure that is under construction that will carry Corridor H over Haddix Run south of Parsons near the community of Moore, I do not think WVDOT is deterred  by large bridges on this project (there are also several on the eastern segment).

I think a change in the balance of power in Washington might speed that 2031 date up by quite a bit.  That is where the constraint is.

Quote from: hbelkins on September 20, 2019, 08:47:33 PM
There's a decent amount of truck traffic on 219 between Parsons and Thomas now, and I'm sure truckers would appreciate a through route that takes them off that mountain. Looks like the new route will obliterate that route, but trucks still won't want to get off Corridor H there and go down to the stop sign at Thomas where they have to turn left at a T-intersection. And I'm sure the residents and businesses (many tourist-themed) in Thomas wouldn't want more heavy trucks rumbling down those one-way streets that turn much of the business district into an island in the asphalt. So the truck bypass is definitely warranted. I'm guessing a grade-separated interchange at what will be WV 32/US 48/US 219 (where WV 93 currently ends) and can't really tell, but an at-grade where WV 72 joins/departs at the foot of aforesaid mountain north of downtown Parsons.

I have read about a U.S. 219 "bypass" of Thomas before, but never seen it on a map until now. This is a good idea, as it keeps the heavy truck traffic out of the historic district of Thomas.

While I think a lot of the truck drivers that venture out onto U.S. 219 today between Parsons and Thomas are familiar with the route and its dangers, I am confident that most of them would be happy to be on a new ADHS corridor highway instead.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bitmapped

Quote from: sparker on September 20, 2019, 05:49:19 PM
FTFY

The route goes over the North Fork Blackwater River, not Blackwater Canyon. From where the crossing is planned, I expect it to be a run-of-the-mill girder structure, albeit a taller one.

TheOneKEA

The link to the handout on the WVDOT web site is broken...

What cross-section will Corridor H have across the North Fork and along the right-of-way to Hendricks? The map on the Corridor H website is too small to see any detail about the cross-section and right-of-way width.

The map also shows that Corridor H's currently proposed alignment comes very close to the existing route of US 219. If this alignment is retained, is this likely to be a stopping point where the construction of this segment is staged?

hbelkins

A friend of mine was returning home to Kentucky from DC, and her GPS routed her along US 48. I need to ask her what kind of device she was using. Apparently, enough of the route is done to convince the algorithms in those devices that Corridor H is an appropriate through route, instead of using I-68 or I-64 to get across the ECD.

seicer

X99

Quote from: seicer on December 06, 2019, 10:34:24 PM
Speaking of: Apple Maps has the latest aerials of Corridor H starting at Thomas/Davis
Screenshots please? Chrome and Edge both redirect to Google Maps.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

hbelkins

Quote from: X99 on December 07, 2019, 05:31:13 PM
Quote from: seicer on December 06, 2019, 10:34:24 PM
Speaking of: Apple Maps has the latest aerials of Corridor H starting at Thomas/Davis
Screenshots please? Chrome and Edge both redirect to Google Maps.

Must be an iDevice thing, because I didn't know Apple had maps online that could be viewed in a browser. I use a Mac (but an old OS) and it redirected to Google Maps in Chrome. I guess I could try Safari and see what happens, but it's an old version.

seicer

I'm using Chrome but it prompts to use the Apple Maps app in macOS. I can't screenshot the entire route - but if you use the Apple Maps app and scroll to Davis/Thomas, you can trace out the route.

Bitmapped

The Tucker County Assessor has 2019 imagery showing both the current end at Davis/Thomas and some of the construction underway for the Kerens-Parsons segment. It's available at https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=044c027bd8d04ac5857b3f53b776ccf8

SP Cook

Life in Paradise

That's one way to get Corridor H finished to Strasburg.   I thought at first this was a story from "The Onion", but I guess it's legit.

froggie

^ Not necessarily.  Strasburg is in Shenandoah County.

hbelkins

Quote from: Life in Paradise on January 13, 2020, 02:04:12 PM
That's one way to get Corridor H finished to Strasburg.   I thought at first this was a story from "The Onion", but I guess it's legit.

Quote from: froggie on January 13, 2020, 02:05:15 PM

Well, it would get the mountainous part at the state line crossing done, anyway.

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on January 13, 2020, 03:44:49 PM

Well, it would get the mountainous part at the state line crossing done, anyway.
Could US 48/Corridor H be re-aligned onto a new alignment bypassing the part in Shenandoah County?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mapmikey

Quote from: vdeane on January 13, 2020, 08:48:37 PM

Could US 48/Corridor H be re-aligned onto a new alignment bypassing the part in Shenandoah County?

Topographically speaking this could be done to arc it around to meet I-66/81 interchange...

Fixed quote.  -Mark

1995hoo

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 14, 2020, 07:01:49 AM
Quote from: vdeane on January 13, 2020, 08:48:37 PM

Topographically speaking this could be done to arc it around to meet I-66/81 interchange...

Fixed quote.  -Mark

I think froggie's comment earlier in this thread is probably accurate as to why it's unlikely ever to connect directly to Exit 300. The reference to "address[ing]the merging" refers to a prior comment from hbelkins about how tying Corridor H into Exit 300 would allow for rebuilding that interchange to eliminate the left-side merge from I-66 to southbound I-81.

Quote from: froggie on February 26, 2017, 08:25:17 AM
Given a lengthy mining operation, plus the location of Ceder Creek, north of Strasburg (running from Exit 298 to northwest of Middletown), a direct Corridor H connection to the I-66/I-81 interchange is no longer feasible.  What would be feasible is a straighter connection between US 48/VA 55 and I-81, meeting at the curve on I-81 just northeast of their existing interchange.  Widening I-81 between Corridor H and I-66 could be tied into such a project, and would reduce the need to rebuilt the 66/81 interchange to address the merging.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

The Ghostbuster

Does the eastern portion of Corridor H from Wardensville to Interstate 81 in Strasburg have a construction date yet? I know construction on this segment was deferred in 2003, but has the process been restarted to design and construct this segment of Corridor H?

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 16, 2020, 04:25:22 PM
Does the eastern portion of Corridor H from Wardensville to Interstate 81 in Strasburg have a construction date yet? I know construction on this segment was deferred in 2003, but has the process been restarted to design and construct this segment of Corridor H?
As far as I'm aware, there's no current plans at least on the Virginia side.

X99

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 16, 2020, 08:50:09 PM
Are there proposals, such as how big the road will be? I'm essentially asking if it's supposed to be a two lane road (it already is), a four lane expressway, or a four lane freeway.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

amroad17

US 48 WEST            US 48 EAST
        DAVIS                MOOREFIELD
        <----                       ---->

Back to the highway again!

I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Bitmapped

Quote from: X99 on January 16, 2020, 10:33:51 PM
Are there proposals, such as how big the road will be? I'm essentially asking if it's supposed to be a two lane road (it already is), a four lane expressway, or a four lane freeway.

West Virginia's assumption is certainly that Virginia will build a 4-lane at-grade expressway.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Bitmapped on January 17, 2020, 09:16:48 AM
Quote from: X99 on January 16, 2020, 10:33:51 PM

West Virginia's assumption is certainly that Virginia will build a 4-lane at-grade expressway.

Nothing regarding VA 55 west of Strasburg is present as best I can tell in VTRANS 2040 except more park and ride at I-66 and safety improvements at 2 intersections west of I-66.

VA 55 was not in VTRANS 2030 or 2035 either...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.