News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Two interchange questions

Started by XamotCGC, August 15, 2021, 01:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XamotCGC

What are the advantages of a bowtie vs a cloverleaf interchange and vice versa?

What are the advantages of a cloverleaf vs a diamond interchange and vice versa?
Roads clinched.
State Routes: Kentucky:  KY 208 KY 289 KY 555 KY 2154 KY 245 KY 1195

TheStranger

Quote from: XamotCGC on August 15, 2021, 01:07:49 AM
What are the advantages of a bowtie vs a cloverleaf interchange and vice versa?

What are the advantages of a cloverleaf vs a diamond interchange and vice versa?

For the latter:

- Cloverleaf offers a no-stoplight, theoretically free flow junction.  Can be used for freeway-to-freeway system interchanges.

- Diamond uses less right of way and has no weaving issues, compared to a cloverleaf.
Chris Sampang

hbelkins

There are no advantages to a bowtie unless traffic has to stop, as it did with Kentucky's toll plazas. The short merge areas are a liability, which is why Kentucky is slowly converting the remaining bowties to diamonds (or variants) or parclos.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: TheStranger on August 15, 2021, 11:16:51 AM
- Cloverleaf offers a no-stoplight, theoretically free flow junction.  Can be used for freeway-to-freeway system interchanges.

But when the cloverleaf ramps become overloaded then the two roads
connected by then frequently fail.

That is one reason why at least some state DOT's no longer allow
cloverleaf interchanges, especially at junctions of freeways, freeways
and expressways.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

TheStranger

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 16, 2021, 11:53:56 AM

and expressways.

This makes me curious:

With more recent cloverleafs, are the C/D lanes enough to help alleviate some of those issues?

It's telling that California's Department of Highways opted to essentially invent the stack interchange in the late 1940s/early 1950s as an alternative to cloverleaf usage for the Four-Level between 110/101 in downtown LA, though the space-saving aspects of that particular stack have rarely been implemented in many of the others that have been built since.
Chris Sampang

skluth

Bowtie vs cloverleaf

Bowtie
  • takes less space than full cloverleaf
  • no weaving between cloverleaf ramps and through traffic
Cloverleaf
  • no pseudo-roundabouts at end of ramps so often less difficult for trucks
  • can be used where two freeways meet

ran4sh

Quote from: TheStranger on August 16, 2021, 02:44:32 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 16, 2021, 11:53:56 AM

and expressways.

This makes me curious:

With more recent cloverleafs, are the C/D lanes enough to help alleviate some of those issues?

Yes. I would still prefer a semi-directional ramp (as found in a turbine or stack interchange) instead of a loop ramp, but the C/D separates the traffic so that the weaving occurs at an appropriate speed. The space for the C/D lanes also causes the weaving section to be longer, if both routes have C/D lanes.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

Ned Weasel

Quote from: hbelkins on August 15, 2021, 11:36:48 PM
There are no advantages to a bowtie unless traffic has to stop, as it did with Kentucky's toll plazas. The short merge areas are a liability, which is why Kentucky is slowly converting the remaining bowties to diamonds (or variants) or parclos.

Quote from: skluth on August 16, 2021, 05:21:47 PM
Bowtie
  • takes less space than full cloverleaf
  • no weaving between cloverleaf ramps and through traffic

I think we're using two different definitions of "bowtie" here.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

kphoger

Quote from: Ned Weasel on August 18, 2021, 06:01:06 AM
I think we're using two different definitions of "bowtie" here.

I was thinking that earlier, but I wasn't certain, so I didn't post.

Definition 1:  A two-roundabout interchange (or a squished roundabout interchange), such as here

Definition 2:  An doubly-folded diamond interchange (as parclo as a parclo can get?), such as here
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 18, 2021, 10:29:19 AM
Definition 1:  A two-roundabout interchange (or a squished roundabout interchange), such as here

Unless I'm missing something, I think you linked to the wrong location. I don't see any roundabouts there.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 18, 2021, 10:35:40 AM

Unless I'm missing something, I think you linked to the wrong location. I don't see any roundabouts there.

It's a squished roundabout:  1, 2.

If those crossovers were plumped out a bit more, it would be more apparent, but the functionality is the same.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on August 18, 2021, 11:37:10 AM

If those crossovers were plumped out a bit more, it would be more apparent, but the functionality is the same.
Am I correct in saying that is just a grade-separated Michigan Left? Didn't know we needed that...
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

webny99

Oh, I was looking at the wrong road.

You are correct that functionally, it's kind of like half of a squished roundabout. I certainly wouldn't call it a roundabout, though. I'd just call it a U-turn, or, (as just noted) a grade-separated Michigan left.

kphoger

Quote from: MCRoads on August 18, 2021, 12:47:06 PM

Am I correct in saying that is just a grade-separated Michigan Left? Didn't know we needed that...

It's functionally no different than this–just with different yield priorities.
Male pronouns, please.

MCRoads

Quote from: kphoger on August 18, 2021, 12:53:08 PM
Quote from: MCRoads on August 18, 2021, 12:47:06 PM

It's functionally no different than this–just with different yield priorities.

Huh. So it is other a long Dogbone, or a grade separated Michigan Left. That is a very strange overlap.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.