News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Very unusual street suffixes

Started by DSS5, October 14, 2015, 10:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bitmapped

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 15, 2015, 09:01:10 PM
My neighborhood is a tad little strange. Instead of cities using East Drive, we use Drive East. So Mallard Drive East, in a city would probably be Mallard East Drive.

That's not unusual at all. The "East" is being used as a directional suffix.

theline

Quote from: DSS5 on October 18, 2015, 10:47:33 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2015, 03:19:49 PM
Earlier today I passed Tinner's Hill in Falls Church, Virginia. Don't know how common "Hill" is as a suffix, but that's the only one of which I know.

Hills is common around here, usually referring to a steep-grade residential street. But never seen singular 'Hill.'

South Bend has Erskine Manor Hill, which I mentioned the last time we had a topic like this. It's a street that winds its way up what used to be an estate owned by a Studebaker Motors president, Albert R. Erskine. Erskine was one of the victims of the Great Depression, committing suicide in 1933 after he was forced out of the presidency by bankruptcy receivers. The hill now features many high-end homes.

empirestate

I think the only one I've seen listed so far that approaches to the near-uniqueness of "Nvno" would be "Stravenue". The rest either are many times more common than those two, even if still rare overall, or are reasonable-sounding enough that one wouldn't consider them a complete head-scratcher. (For example, "Stroll", which I have probably never seen in real life–but if I did, I'd be like "OK, I get that one." But "Stravenue"??)

Thing 342

Possibly the weirdest I've found is a residential road near Williamsburg named 'Tarleton Bivouac': https://goo.gl/maps/nPxAdTDpnSt. Not really sure why you'd want to name a residential area for a temporary camp for soldiers.

DJDBVT

Marlboro VT has a Cow Path 40. There aren't any other named or numbered cow paths in the area.

Dave

I live in Ashe County NC where there are several NVNO roads.  After seeing this post, I did a little research because I could think of numerous "odd" street suffixes.  This site lists quite a few that no one else has mentioned -- https://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28apc_002.htm.

Paulinator66

First time I went to Punta Gorda I was intrigued by the term Esplanade as a suffix.  It's essentially used in the same way as Promenade but, being from Illinois, I had never heard it before.  It may even be common in FL, or other places, but it was the first time I had heard it.

wanderer2575

Quote from: silverback1065 on October 17, 2015, 01:49:21 PM
Quote from: DTComposer on October 17, 2015, 01:30:35 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on October 15, 2015, 08:19:53 PM
Here in Spearfish we have a street with no suffix whatsoever: Tulane.

That's very common in Irvine, and a few other places in south Orange County:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6694345,-117.7984299,17z

Not sure how uncommon it is in other parts of the country, but Los Coyotes Diagonal in Long Beach is the only example of that suffix I can think of.

those roads likely do have suffixes, they just dont post them on the signs, which is very annoying.  Look at detroit for a lot of examples of this.  Also Pike is a good suffix.

Even more annoying on advance intersection signs, where sometimes you wonder if it's the name of the upcoming intersection street, a town boundary, or something else entirely:  https://goo.gl/maps/2C8qsjUfzs2JVmDm9

SSR_317

Quote from: Paulinator66 on March 24, 2020, 01:37:47 PM
First time I went to Punta Gorda I was intrigued by the term Esplanade as a suffix.  It's essentially used in the same way as Promenade but, being from Illinois, I had never heard it before.  It may even be common in FL, or other places, but it was the first time I had heard it.
It is a very common suffix out west.

KCRoadFan

Hard to believe no one has mentioned Salisbury Crag in Worcester, MA.

Avalanchez71

Nash's Nook in Columbia, TN
Silverado Pass in Spring Hill, TN
Neeley's Bend in Spring Hill, TN

achilles765

Major north-south street here in Houston: Buffalo Spdwy (Speedway)
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

zachary_amaryllis

there's a 'trail' and several 'runs' in fort collins.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on February 19, 2021, 12:02:42 AM

"Trail" is hardly unusual.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2021, 10:16:16 AM

I agree. Here is an intersection at which Trail isn't even the weirdest suffix of the intersection. And just half a mile away, an intersection of two Trails.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 19, 2021, 10:26:51 AM

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2021, 10:16:16 AM

I agree. Here is an intersection at which Trail isn't even the weirdest suffix of the intersection. And just half a mile away, an intersection of two Trails.

They're common enough that I can tell you the abbreviations without even looking them up:
  Trail = Tr
  Meadows = Mws

Did I get them right?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

USPS standards appear to be "TRL" and "MDWS".

I'm not sure I've seen a Meadows before, but Trl definitely lines up with what I've seen.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2021, 10:38:59 AM
They're common enough that I can tell you the abbreviations without even looking them up:
  Trail = Tr
  Meadows = Mws

Did I get them right?

Not quite... as just noted, and as also seen in the link below, it looks like Meadows is Mdws. Although I don't know why you would need an abbreviation. It's spelled out in my example above.

https://cceo.org/addressing/documents/StreetAbbreviationsGuide.pdf

In other news, can we now say that anything not on that list wins the thread?

zachary_amaryllis

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on February 19, 2021, 10:38:59 AM
  Trail = Tr
  Meadows = Mws

Did I get them right?

Reminds me that Richmond has a bunch of subdivisions named "Mews", often with the main entrance street suffixed the same.  Some examples are Larsen Mews, Wistar Creek Mews,  Maelee Mews, Cedarville Mews and Providence Creek Mews.  There are also a number of apartments and housing complexes named "Mews" on traditional streets or streets with "Mews" in the street name.  I noticed that Southside Richmond is now often referred to as "North Chesterfield".

MCRoads

While technically the names aren't that unusual, in Townshend, MA, there is a Charles St. Ave. there also used to be a Charles St. Ave. Rd., but that no longer exists.

Oklahoma City has the Tinker Diagonal, however I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it isn't very unique.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kphoger

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 19, 2021, 06:52:56 PM
"Mews"

That's actually what I was thinking of, but I typed "Mws" in error.
Male pronouns, please.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: MCRoads on February 19, 2021, 08:04:22 PM
While technically the names aren't that unusual, in Townshend, MA, there is a Charles St. Ave. there also used to be a Charles St. Ave. Rd., but that no longer exists.

Wow.  I thought Richmond suburbs were strange with Broad Street Road and Hull Street Road.  Then you've got PA-132 which is just plain ole Street Road in Warrington and Bensalem.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Dirt Roads on February 19, 2021, 08:21:16 PM

Wow.  I thought Richmond suburbs were strange with Broad Street Road and Hull Street Road.  Then you've got PA-132 which is just plain ole Street Road in Warrington and Bensalem.

It's not just us. Sangamon County, IL has North Walnut Street Road and 9th Street Road...in addition to Athens Blacktop.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Scott5114

Oklahoma City has the Tinker Diagonal, however I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it isn't very unique.

Tinker Diagonal is actually split between Del City and Midwest City. I don't think any part of it crosses into OKC proper, though I might be wrong. For those who don't know it, Tinker Diag is the street name for the I-40 frontage roads on that stretch, and also at one time the name for I-40 through the area, but for official stupid reasons renamed "Freedom Freeway" at some point. Anyway, people just call the mainline I-40 and the frontage roads have Tinker Diagonal addresses.

Kansas City KS has a freeway, former K-132, that's called the Turner Diagonal.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.