News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Very unusual street suffixes

Started by DSS5, October 14, 2015, 10:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 20, 2021, 12:36:27 AM
for official stupid reasons renamed "Freedom Freeway" at some point.

Did they designate an Expressdom Expressway somewhere else at the same time? Or a Parkdom Parkway? So many missed opportunities.

empirestate

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 12, 2021, 10:25:06 PM
Hard to believe no one has mentioned Salisbury Crag in Worcester, MA.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 13, 2021, 08:19:54 AM
Nash's Nook in Columbia, TN
Silverado Pass in Spring Hill, TN
Neeley's Bend in Spring Hill, TN

Cases like these make me wonder if there's a distinction to be made between [Name + Suffix] constructions, and those where it's simply a two-word phrase for some geographic feature, which for "literary" reasons is also applied to the road itself.

In other words, a crag and a bend are both physiographic features, not types of roads–but both could logically have roads running through them. So in the case of Salisbury Crag and Silverado Pass, do "crag" and "pass" actually function as the road descriptor suffix? Or is there an unwritten descriptor, as: {the road through} Silverado Pass, where "road" is the descriptor, not "pass"?

(Am I greatly over-thinking this? Of course! You could also say that somebody who climbs Mt. Everest is getting way too much exercise.) :-P

For that matter, have we looked at the relatively unusual cases where the road descriptor is a prefix rather than a suffix? For example, here's the intersection of Trail of the Maples and " " " Hemlocks:
https://goo.gl/maps/XoxxZhgitWFDcPWa9 (the map view erroneously omits the "the")

citrus

No Name Uno, in Gilroy, CA https://goo.gl/maps/m5r77CsEfLfighN89
It's a frontage road, but it's relatively well-known because there's a major hospital on it!
Some history here: https://gilroydispatch.com/former-worker-says-he-coined-no-name-uno/

kphoger

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 19, 2021, 10:51:42 PM
Blacktop

'Blacktop' is a common generic in southern Illinois–both as part of the official road name and as common parlance for "____ Road".

So, for example, near Zeigler is a road officially called Creek Nation Blacktop.  Or there's Eddyville Blacktop (Eddyville Blk).

But the road between Corinth and Johnston City is commonly called 'Corinth Blacktop' in Johnston City, and it's commonly called 'Johnston City Blacktop' in Corinth.  Herrin Road west of Herrin is commonly called 'Herrin Blacktop' in Johnston City;  east of Herrin is commonly called 'Colp Blacktop' in Herrin.  You get the idea.

This sometimes makes for confusion.  For example, I once witnessed an accident on what's officially called 'Corinth Road' on the outskirts of Johnston City.  I called 9-1-1 and reported the location as 'Johnston City Blacktop', because that's what I had heard most people refer to it as.  The dispatcher on the other end replied with 'Which one?'  To which I replied 'the one that heads west out of town toward Corinth'.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: empirestate on February 20, 2021, 11:42:29 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 12, 2021, 10:25:06 PM
Hard to believe no one has mentioned Salisbury Crag in Worcester, MA.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 13, 2021, 08:19:54 AM
Nash's Nook in Columbia, TN
Silverado Pass in Spring Hill, TN
Neeley's Bend in Spring Hill, TN

Pass is definelty a suffix and there are other examples in the Nashville metropolitan area of "Pass".

Cases like these make me wonder if there's a distinction to be made between [Name + Suffix] constructions, and those where it's simply a two-word phrase for some geographic feature, which for "literary" reasons is also applied to the road itself.

In other words, a crag and a bend are both physiographic features, not types of roads–but both could logically have roads running through them. So in the case of Salisbury Crag and Silverado Pass, do "crag" and "pass" actually function as the road descriptor suffix? Or is there an unwritten descriptor, as: {the road through} Silverado Pass, where "road" is the descriptor, not "pass"?

(Am I greatly over-thinking this? Of course! You could also say that somebody who climbs Mt. Everest is getting way too much exercise.) :-P

For that matter, have we looked at the relatively unusual cases where the road descriptor is a prefix rather than a suffix? For example, here's the intersection of Trail of the Maples and " " " Hemlocks:
https://goo.gl/maps/XoxxZhgitWFDcPWa9 (the map view erroneously omits the "the")

empirestate

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 22, 2021, 09:44:01 AM
Pass is definelty a suffix and there are other examples in the Nashville metropolitan area of "Pass".

Is it used to denote a sort of road-like feature? (It certainly could be.) Or is it always evoking a mountain pass?

Anyway, even without "Pass" as an example, the question certainly remains. Now I'm trying to think of a case where a road is named as a geographic feature, or something else, without using an obvious two-word, specific-generic construction. Closest I can think of is Bowery.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: empirestate on February 23, 2021, 12:49:42 AM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 22, 2021, 09:44:01 AM

Is it used to denote a sort of road-like feature? (It certainly could be.) Or is it always evoking a mountain pass?

Anyway, even without "Pass" as an example, the question certainly remains. Now I'm trying to think of a case where a road is named as a geographic feature, or something else, without using an obvious two-word, specific-generic construction. Closest I can think of is Bowery.

I don't really think so.  I think it is a suffix.  However, in Spring Hill I also see Springs, Glen, Grove, Knoll, Walk and Ridge used as a suffix.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Spring+Hill,+TN/@35.7252561,-86.9321936,16.88z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8863785e49af2da3:0x1bc893243d09b485!8m2!3d35.751179!4d-86.9300023

Avalanchez71

Quote from: tidecat on October 15, 2015, 04:45:39 AM
Owensboro, KY uses "Walk" as a suffix.

I think Walk is used in the Hampton Roads, VA area frequently.  I know there are a couple in the Nashville, TN region.

ahj2000

In the Hickory-Conover area in NC, there's many streets that take on multiple suffixes. You could have a 10th Avenue Way or a 4th Street Place Drive.

frankenroad

Columbia, MD, has a host of wacky street names, including many that end in "Garth", "Row", and "Ride".

A complete list can be found here.  https://geographic.org/streetview/usa/md/howard/columbia.html

The history behind street naming in Columbia can be found at https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1995-01-10-1995010059-story.html
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

andrepoiy

There are also roads that lack suffixes... I was looking at Google Maps and came across some new suburban neighbourhoods in Irvine CA with street names that are just named stuff like "Toretta" and "Della".

kphoger

Quote from: andrepoiy on February 26, 2021, 08:05:05 PM
There are also roads that lack suffixes... I was looking at Google Maps and came across some new suburban neighbourhoods in Irvine CA with street names that are just named stuff like "Toretta" and "Della".

I grew up in a town like that.  My address was 806 S 1st.  And I have a childhood memory of my mom ordering something over the phone...

– What's your address?
– 806 S 1st.
– 1st what?
– Just 1st.
– I mean, is it 1st Street, 1st Avenue, 1st what?
– No, it's just 1st.
– Well, I have to put something into the computer.  It's a required field.
– Then just put whatever you want, then.
– Is it Street or Avenue or...?
– No.
– OK, how about 1st Street, then?
– Whatever you think.

:banghead:
Male pronouns, please.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kphoger on February 26, 2021, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on February 26, 2021, 08:05:05 PM

I grew up in a town like that.  My address was 806 S 1st.  And I have a childhood memory of my mom ordering something over the phone...

– What's your address?
– 806 S 1st.
– 1st what?
– Just 1st.
– I mean, is it 1st Street, 1st Avenue, 1st what?
– No, it's just 1st.
– Well, I have to put something into the computer.  It's a required field.
– Then just put whatever you want, then.
– Is it Street or Avenue or...?
– No.
– OK, how about 1st Street, then?
– Whatever you think.

:banghead:

That was long before the USPS online database of addresses.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

ahj2000

Oh-also The East Mall and the West Mall in Toronto

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kenarmy on March 16, 2021, 12:41:21 AM
Quail "Hollow"
https://www.google.com/maps/place/249-201+Quail+Hollow,+Canton,+MS+39046

There is also a road nearby named "Parkway East"...
We have some Hollow suffix streets in Middle Tennessee.

andrepoiy

Quote from: ahj2000 on March 16, 2021, 03:45:19 AM
Oh-also The East Mall and the West Mall in Toronto
The Queensway and Queensway also exist

empirestate

Quote from: kenarmy on March 16, 2021, 12:41:21 AM
Quail "Hollow"
https://www.google.com/maps/place/249-201+Quail+Hollow,+Canton,+MS+39046

Looks pretty dang flat to me...unless they're thinking the little drainage-y ditch just to the south is the hollow?

StogieGuy7

In the past (at least the 1970s when I lived there), Henrico County VA (suburb of Richmond, VA) added the suffix "Road" on to the continuation of Broad Street after it exited the City of Richmond - resulting in Broad Street Road (aka US 250).  I don't think this was the only case of them doing this but I can't recall another example to cite here.  Still, it seemed very strange to me at the time and it appears that they discontinued this practice quite some time ago.

ahj2000

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on March 17, 2021, 12:16:07 PM
In the past (at least the 1970s when I lived there), Henrico County VA (suburb of Richmond, VA) added the suffix "Road" on to the continuation of Broad Street after it exited the City of Richmond - resulting in Broad Street Road (aka US 250).  I don't think this was the only case of them doing this but I can't recall another example to cite here.  Still, it seemed very strange to me at the time and it appears that they discontinued this practice quite some time ago.
Hull Street/ Hull St Rd (US 360)

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on March 17, 2021, 12:16:07 PM

greeley, co is full of 'avenue courts' and 'street road's. probably an 'avenue place' or two, as well.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

kphoger

People keep bringing them up.  Which means they're not very unusual.
Male pronouns, please.

KCRoadFan

Seems like Indianapolis is a hotbed for streets with multiple suffixes, boasting such gems as:

• East and West Fall Creek Parkway North Drive
  • North White River Parkway West Drive
  • Priority Way West Drive
  • Priority Way South Drive
  • East and West Pleasant Run Parkway North Drive
  • Brookside Parkway North Drive
  • Brookside Parkway South Drive
  • Kessler Boulevard West Drive
  • Kessler Boulevard East Drive

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.