News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Caltrans Offers $25K Prize For Best Solution To California’s Traffic Woes

Started by cpzilliacus, August 31, 2015, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

CBS SF Bay Area: Caltrans Offers $25K Prize For Best Solution To California's Traffic Woes

QuoteWorsening traffic for California commuters has prompted Caltrans to offer a cash prize to anyone who can find the best solution.

QuoteCaltrans is offering $25,000 to "the Californian with the best unique idea about how to improve the state's transportation system."  It's called the "25K Find A New Way"  contest.

QuoteEntries will be judged on innovation and feasibility.

EDIT: Fixed URL tag. Roadfro
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

This would be the perfect opportunity for budding road engineers to prove themselves worthy! Of course, it'll be a challenge as congestion will continue to be a problem for CA's roads and freeways, no matter how many improvements are made.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

nexus73

Neutron bombs work well for urban congestion.  Polish solutions for Polish problems...LOL!

On a more serious note, go back to the 1984 Olympics.  The fear was that the Southland would come to a screeching halt due to the traffic.  It never happened.  Big scale employers worked out schedules so the road network would not get totally swamped out. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

The Ghostbuster

Widespread Congestion Pricing. That's likely the only way to bring congestion relief, and maintain it over time.

ARMOURERERIC

A per square foot tax on new commercial construction.  I may be very conservative but I am thinking of what Riverside County did to I-215 south of Sun City only to demand relief from the state and that was just criminal

JNorton

Rezone residential neighborhoods so shopping, restaurants, and employment can be within walking, biking or very short driving distances from where people live. For longer commutes, quality (frequent, friendly and fast) public transit must be available. (By the way, a number of recent studies have pretty strongly indicated that people are happier in "mixed" environments rather than single-family-only suburban neighborhoods.)

And as others have pointed out, it's no longer possible to build our way out of congestion, but the freeways could carry more people if--take a deep breath--one lane would be reserved exclusively for rapid bus transit. In locations where it could be established that a freeway bus lane would carry significantly more people than a general traffic lane, an exclusive bus lane would be justified. After all it's PEOPLE who are going places, not vehicles.

andy3175

And the winner is ...

http://www.equipmentworld.com/caltrans-innovation-contest-awards-25k-for-signage-app-ideas/

QuoteThe California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has selected three first place winners and one second place winner for its Innovation Contest. The contest was part of the "$25K Find a New Way"  program signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown in 2014. Officials said the contest was aimed at finding the "best unique idea with the highest likelihood of being successfully put into action"  to improve the transportation system in the state. The first place winners, who each will receive $7,000, include Mark H. Akin of Redwood Valley, Jordan Safine of Alamo and Ellen Atkins of Orange for their idea for early lane direction signs. ...

To work this idea into their system, Caltrans plans to develop statewide maintenance guidelines "to include clear indication of proper lane assignment at every freeway onramp (as demonstrated in the image mockups above). This effort will get a jump start to rapid deployment as Caltrans will incorporate it into the department's current sign replacement effort to install highly reflective signs to enhance visibility and reduce electricity and maintenance costs. The cost of implementation is expected to be absorbable within the existing sign-replacement program."  Second place winner Anita Weaver of Glendale, will receive $4,000 for her idea of an online travel app, dubbed Caltrans Freeway League (CFL), aimed at encouraging Californians to "voluntarily monitor and modify their behavior to achieve safer and less congested commuting."
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

rschen7754

Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2016, 12:08:49 AM
And the winner is ...

http://www.equipmentworld.com/caltrans-innovation-contest-awards-25k-for-signage-app-ideas/

QuoteThe California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has selected three first place winners and one second place winner for its Innovation Contest. The contest was part of the "$25K Find a New Way"  program signed into law by Governor Jerry Brown in 2014. Officials said the contest was aimed at finding the "best unique idea with the highest likelihood of being successfully put into action"  to improve the transportation system in the state. The first place winners, who each will receive $7,000, include Mark H. Akin of Redwood Valley, Jordan Safine of Alamo and Ellen Atkins of Orange for their idea for early lane direction signs. ...

To work this idea into their system, Caltrans plans to develop statewide maintenance guidelines "to include clear indication of proper lane assignment at every freeway onramp (as demonstrated in the image mockups above). This effort will get a jump start to rapid deployment as Caltrans will incorporate it into the department's current sign replacement effort to install highly reflective signs to enhance visibility and reduce electricity and maintenance costs. The cost of implementation is expected to be absorbable within the existing sign-replacement program."  Second place winner Anita Weaver of Glendale, will receive $4,000 for her idea of an online travel app, dubbed Caltrans Freeway League (CFL), aimed at encouraging Californians to "voluntarily monitor and modify their behavior to achieve safer and less congested commuting."

Those don't look that different from the status quo. Am I missing something?

jakeroot

As much as I like it, does the "FREEWAY" message need to accompany the Interstate shield? I am aware of Caltrans putting "FWY" next to shields, but I was pretty sure those examples were "mistakes" (or the designers just forgot that "[route number] freeway" was just the colloquial name, not that actual name).

myosh_tino

Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2016, 01:27:35 AM
As much as I like it, does the "FREEWAY" message need to accompany the Interstate shield? I am aware of Caltrans putting "FWY" next to shields, but I was pretty sure those examples were "mistakes" (or the designers just forgot that "[route number] freeway" was just the colloquial name, not that actual name).

I think the decision to put the word "FREEWAY" next to the route shield on those signs was for consistent sign design.  I think it would look awkward if those signs omitted "FREEWAY" just for Interstates but kept it for US and California State Routes.

While it's clear that all Interstates are freeways, not all US and California State Routes are.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

jakeroot

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 08, 2016, 02:18:27 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 08, 2016, 01:27:35 AM

I think the decision to put the word "FREEWAY" next to the route shield on those signs was for consistent sign design.  I think it would look awkward if those signs omitted "FREEWAY" just for Interstates but kept it for US and California State Routes.

While it's clear that all Interstates are freeways, not all US and California State Routes are.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

jeffandnicole

Maybe I'm missing something, but wasn't the contest "$25,000 to the Californian with the best unique idea"?

the Californian = singular

unique = not readily in use already

Signage already exists.

Traffic apps already exist.

Where's the uniqueness in that??

Sounds more like "Hey, let's just name a few winners and get this contest over with, as people are just beating us up in the papers".

mrsman

These signs definitely exist in many places, but are they put up by Caltrans or by the local city?   If the latter, then making it a requirement to put up such signs at every interchange would be a big deal and very helpful.  But not very unique, as these do exist all over the state.

kkt

Revive 755

Quote from: andy3175 on January 08, 2016, 12:08:49 AM
And the winner is ...

Per the National Edition of the MUTCD, similar type signage is already supposed to be used for approaching interchanges on multi-lane conventional roads.  See Figure 2D-13, Figure 2D-14, or Figure 2D-15..  Additionally, should left turn lanes or right turn lanes sprout after the initial 'right lane' and/or 'left lane' sign, it runs afoul of the spirit of Section 2D-27 Paragraph 02 (which is for 'left lane' 'center lane' and 'right lane' plaques under route shields).

The Ghostbuster

I still like the idea I posted on September 10. Although I don't know if it will be implemented widely enough, but I hope it is.

noelbotevera

andy3175

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 09, 2016, 03:12:51 PM
I still like the idea I posted on September 10. Although I don't know if it will be implemented widely enough, but I hope it is.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your proposal?
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

The Ghostbuster

Mainly implementing congestion pricing throughout the freeway system, and maybe some on the most congested surface streets.

Thunderbyrd316

"Congestion Pricing" is just another form of social engineering and is the LAST thing we need. It is NOT the proper role of government to decide how or where people should live or travel or to encourage or discourage any particular method of transportation over another. If anything, the ownership and usage of private autos should be encouraged. If infrastructure needs to be built and there is not enough money, increase the gas tax (AFTER making sure that ALL waste has been eliminated first of course) and for NEW rural, multi-lane, divided, access fully controlled routes with speed limits of NOT LESS THAN 70 m.p.h. I have no problem with CASH tolls being charged and collected (NO electronic collection or tracking) to pay off the bonds for the new construction and legitimate maintenance needs of the facility.   

The Ghostbuster

If you'd rather waste time and sit in traffic, be my guest. No one is forcing you to "buy" your way out of congestion, as congestion pricing does. The concept of congestion pricing was conceived by Robert Poole, founder of the libertarian think-tank the Reason Foundation. Libertarians are advocates of free markets and "limited government", so this would not be a matter of government social engineering.

jakeroot

Quote from: Thunderbyrd316 on January 11, 2016, 04:58:01 PM
"Congestion Pricing" is just another form of social engineering and is the LAST thing we need. It is NOT the proper role of government to decide how or where people should live or travel or to encourage or discourage any particular method of transportation over another. If anything, the ownership and usage of private autos should be encouraged. If infrastructure needs to be built and there is not enough money, increase the gas tax (AFTER making sure that ALL waste has been eliminated first of course) and for NEW rural, multi-lane, divided, access fully controlled routes with speed limits of NOT LESS THAN 70 m.p.h. I have no problem with CASH tolls being charged and collected (NO electronic collection or tracking) to pay off the bonds for the new construction and legitimate maintenance needs of the facility.

First of all, calm down.

Second, as more and more people move into cities, social engineering may be required to control the flow of traffic. There simply isn't enough room for everyone to own cars. Driving will become, within cities, something only the rich can afford to do. Think, to an extent, of something like Singapore.

It's worth mentioning that when freeways were first built, two things became apparent: toll collection alone was hardly sufficient means of earning money to pay off bonds and maintain the road itself (so the only sure fire way of actually earning money towards maintenance and bond playoffs was to use a gas tax), and also that if you build "it", "they" will come. Meaning, widening does nothing except spur additional car usage. You will never be able to outpace the growth of society with widening projects. The only thing we can do, within cities, is discourage the use of cars. We can maintain our current facilities, of course, but the last thing we need to do is encourage car ownership.

RaulMtz

Here's an idea. Big congested cities like LA or SF for example should do what Tokyo did with its freeways/expressways. You pay a toll every time you get on the freeway, just once. Here's how I would put it.
At every entrance ramp and at the point where a freeway enters the greater metro area there would be an electronic toll receptor charging everyone a very low fee, say... $1? When you pay that dollar once entering the freeway, you can take infinite loops around the whole freeway system without ever paying another toll. Cars registered in counties away from the metro area would get their charge by mail and cars registered in a different state wouldn't have to pay anything (Unless the specific metro area gets lots of commuters from out of state, like New York for example). It could even be a system where you only get charged that one dollar every other time you enter the freeway network, so it counts for your return trip.

This would do three things: Help pay for maintenance and expansion, make drivers that are only using the freeway to travel a few exits use surface streets and possibly make an incentive for carpooling. Since one dollar per day doesn't really seem like much, drivers might be more accepting than typical lexus lanes for example. Though I don't know if one dollar really is enough, it might not.

Just a thought.

The Ghostbuster

While your concept would get my approval, I doubt it would ever happen here in the states.

mrsman

There are some areas where it seems that just about every freeway is a toll road.

Cases in point:  A good part of NJ is covered by NJTP and the GS Parkway

Orlando has every road except I-4 being toll

A lot of toll roads in Southern Orange County (5 and 405 are still free, though)

The Chicaago suburbs have a lot of toll roads: I-90, Tri-State, I-88, I-355.

OKC and Tulsa are also surrounded by toll roads.

And with all the toll roads, these areas aren't traffic panaceas.  People pay the toll and get stick in traffic like everybody else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.