News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Recent county-collecting trip (Illinois, Iowa, and Wisconsin)

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 12, 2018, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.J. Bertin

I had the opportunity to use a couple vacation days and take another solo county-collecting trip similar to what I had done last summer in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Last year's trip was 3 days; this year's trip was 4 days. I had set out to finish off all the remaining 21 counties I needed in Illinois, but I also wanted to see if I could get some new counties in Iowa, Minnesota, and/or Wisconsin. Well, I wasn't as successful with those other states as I wanted to be, but I still had a great time and thought I would share this report for anyone who's interested in reading it.

On Wednesday evening, August 1, I left my home in Grand Rapids MI and drove to Joliet IL for the evening to hang out with a friend and get a fairly early start for my drive Thursday morning.

My route on Day 1 - Thursday, Aug. 2
Local roads in Joliet -> U.S. 52 east -> County Highway 9 west (Kankakee County) -> I-57 south for 119 miles -> IL 133 west -> IL 32 south (multiplexed with a few other routes along the way) -> I-70 west just outside of Effingham -> IL 127 south -> IL 149 west -> IL 3 north -> IL 150 through Chester -> Chester Bridge over the Mississippi River into Missouri -> MO 51 south -> County Highway H west (Perry County) -> U.S. 61 north -> Old Channel Rd. back into Illinois -> (exploring Kaskaskia IL) -> Old Channel Rd. back to Missouri -> U.S. 61 south -> County Highway W east -> MO 51 north -> back into Illinois via the Chester Bridge -> IL 150 (exploring Chester IL a bit) -> IL 3 north -> IL 255 north to my exit in Cahokia IL where my hotel was located.

Notes from Day 1
Overall, this was a pretty good day. I stopped for breakfast in Kankakee and then for lunch in Vandalia. Traffic was light pretty much the entire day, and I had no difficulties. I got out of the car, stretched my legs, and took a few photos around downtown Pinckneyville which was cool. It's interesting that, in order to get to Kaskaskia IL, you have to leave Illinois and enter Missouri first before coming back into Illinois. Chester is a neat little city in Illinois (the home of Popeye!), but unfortunately I didn't see the Popeye statue. The weather was sunny pretty much the entire day... until I was approaching the St. Louis area. It started raining pretty hard just a few minutes before I got to my hotel, so my timing was good on that. While I was in Cahokia, I spent a bit of time exploring that area and had dinner at a good barbeque restaurant which was the #1-ranked restaurant in Cahokia on TripAdvisor.

My new Illinois counties on Day 1

• Moultrie County
  • Clinton County
  • Washington County
  • Perry County
  • Jackson County
  • Randolph County

My route on Day 2 - Friday, Aug. 3
I-255 north -> IL 255 north -> U.S. 67 north -> I-72 east -> IL 4 north -> IL 29 north -> (a quick jaunt over to the town of Andrew IL and back) -> IL 29 north -> IL 123 west -> IL 97 north -> CR 900N west (Mason County) -> IL 78 south -> IL 125 west -> U.S. 67/IL 100 north -> IL 103 west -> U.S. 24 west -> IL 94 north (joining IL 110 and IL 336) -> a quick stop in Carthage IL -> U.S. 136/IL 110/IL 336 east -> IL 336 east -> U.S. 136 east through downtown Macomb -> IL 41 north -> IL 9 east -> IL 97 north -> IL 8 east -> IL 78 north -> IL 17 east -> IL 91 south -> U.S. 150 east -> IL 6 south -> I-74 west -> U.S. 34 west bypassing Galesburg -> IL 164 west -> U.S. 34 west -> IL 164 west -> IL 94 north -> IL 17 east -> U.S. 67 north to some local roads around Moline IL to my hotel for the night.

Notes from Day 2
The sun was shining all day, but wow... this was a grueling day with all the zigzagging I did around western Illinois. I was on the road for about 12 hours. In the morning I had breakfast at my hotel, but then for lunch, I just stopped at a Casey's convenience store in Virginia IL where I grabbed something quick. Yesterday I posted a topic in the Ohio Valley board about a couple of signage issues that I experienced on this day... one in Springfield where I missed my turn for IL 29 north, and one just outside of Beardstown where I almost missed my turn for IL 103 west because I don't recall seeing a sign for IL 103... only a sign for IL 100 north. Beardstown and Macomb seemed like neat little towns, and I enjoyed the bridge crossing the Illinois River on U.S. 67/IL 100 even though it was down to one lane (with flaggers) due to construction. In the morning I was supposed to take IL 97 up to Havana, west on U.S. 136, and then south on IL 78 but I decided to cut that corner by taking CR 900N west to the tiny town of Bath. Very remote territory out there.

The IL 110/336 expressway south and east of Carthage is a nice road. The routing of U.S. 136, however, is a bit strange just outside of Macomb to the west - because it leaves that expressway, and then when you get closer to Macomb, you can get off at an exit for U.S. 136 to head east into town which is what I ended up doing. (Part of me was kicking myself, though, for allowing myself to have a gap in my clinch of that section of U.S. 136. Oh well.)

I was really starting to get impatient with this drive somewhere northeast of Macomb. I stopped for a gas break in the town of Wyoming (northwest of Peoria), so the break was nice. By that time, it was around 4:30 or 5 and I knew I still had quite a bit of ground to cover before I made it to the Quad Cities area. I finally pulled into my hotel parking lot around 7:30 p.m. That evening I checked out a mall that was close to my hotel, had a nice dinner, sat in the hot tub at my hotel, and then went out around 10 p.m. to explore downtown Davenport at night... stopping at a brewery while I was there. I took some nighttime photos of Davenport and drove back and forth a few times across the bridge that connects Davenport IA with Rock Island IL. It was a fun night!

My new Illinois counties on Day 2

• Greene County
  • Menard County
  • Mason County
  • Cass County
  • Schuyler County
  • Brown County
  • Adams County
  • Hancock County
  • McDonough County
  • Fulton County
  • Knox County
  • Stark County
  • Warren County
  • Henderson County
  • Mercer County

My route on Day 3 - Saturday, Aug. 4
I spent the morning exploring the downtown areas of Milan IL, Moline IL, Rock Island IL, and Davenport IA before leaving the Quad Cities area. Part of my route included IL 92 between Moline and Rock Island, and I was intrigued by the little IL 92 freeway west of downtown Rock Island. Unfortunately I didn't take that freeway very far.

Business U.S. 61 north from Davenport -> U.S. 61 north (joining up with U.S. 151 in Dubuque) -> Crossing the U.S. 61/151 bridge over the Mississippi River into Wisconsin -> WI 11 east -> County Road I north (Lafayette County) -> WI 81 west -> WI 126 north -> U.S. 151 south -> lunch break and exploration of downtown Platteville -> U.S. 151 south -> back across the Mississippi River into Dubuque -> U.S. 20 west to my hotel for the evening, followed by a lot of exploring of downtown Dubuque.

Notes from Day 3
This was the day that I had originally intended to get a whole bunch of new counties in northeastern Iowa, possibly two counties in southeastern Minnesota, and maybe more than just one in southwestern Wisconsin. But given the kind of day I'd had the previous day, I just decided to take it easy and have fun exploring the Quad Cities in the morning and Dubuque in the afternoon/evening. I also went into East Dubuque IL for a bit. The morning in the Quad Cities area was sunny, but when I was driving up toward Dubuque, the clouds were rolling in. It was mostly cloudy throughout my time in Dubuque and southwestern Wisconsin. I enjoyed seeing Platteville for the first time. Part of what attracted me to this area was that it's known as the "Driftless Area" and has some interesting topography. I don't think I fully came to appreciate this area as much as I wanted to, but it was mainly because I was still a bit mentally drained from my drive the day before and was mostly focusing on the Quad Cities and Dubuque. I will say, though, that I truly enjoyed the Quad Cities and Dubuque and look forward to visiting those places again someday.

My new Wisconsin county on Day 3

• Lafayette County

My route on Day 4 - Sunday, Aug. 5
After grabbing a quick breakfast in downtown Dubuque, I headed east on U.S. 20 heading toward home in Michigan.

U.S. 20 east -> downtown Galena IL for a bit of exploration -> U.S. 20 east (which included a detour on some dirt roads due to a closure along U.S. 20) -> Business U.S. 20 east to downtown Rockford -> (exploring downtown Rockford a bit) -> I-90 east -> I-290 east -> I-294 south -> I-80 east -> I-94 east -> I-196 north to the Grand Rapids area and then home.

Notes from Day 4
Galena IL is a really cool little town. This is yet another place I would love to spend more time in someday. The signed detour for eastbound U.S. 20 involved IL 84, but looking at Google Maps, that detour looked like it would have gone significantly out of my way, so I came up with my own detour around the closure which was much simpler and shorter even though it involved dirt roads.

This was my first time visiting downtown Rockford. Another interesting place that I wouldn't mind spending more time in.

One thing that was annoying, though, was dealing with a missed toll as I was exiting I-90 and getting onto I-290. I don't own an I-Pass transponder and don't intend to own one anytime soon, so I just pay with cash on toll roads. Well, the toll plaza leaving I-90 at I-290 is one where you must have exact change. I had assumed that, for a significant interchange like that, surely they would be staffed with human toll collectors that could make change if necessary. Well I was wrong. I didn't have the 60 cents in change so I had to drive through it and pay it online after I got home. No biggie but it was just annoying.

Driving through the Chicago area on a Sunday afternoon (heading back to Michigan) always seems like a pain. There was some construction on eastbound I-290 just south of I-90 (right where the above-mentioned toll plaza is located) which caused some significant delays. And then, as always, on I-80/94 near the IL/IN line there was a significant backup. I think this was caused by an accident which closed the two left lanes.

Finally, at around 5:45 p.m. ET last Sunday, I made it home from my journey after driving 1,842.4 miles. It was quite an adventure!

Hopefully I can go on another solo county-collecting trip next year, but with the road meets I have in mind for next year, I'm not sure this will be feasible. But if it is, I'd like to take a trip that allows me to finish the counties I need in both Ohio and Indiana.
-A.J. from Michigan

Naked.Driver

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 12, 2018, 04:57:33 PM
I had the opportunity to use a couple vacation days and take another solo county-collecting trip similar to what I had done last summer in Indiana, Kentucky, and Ohio. Last year's trip was 3 days; this year's trip was 4 days. I had set out to finish off all the remaining 21 counties I needed in Illinois, but I also wanted to see if I could get some new counties in Iowa, Minnesota, and/or Wisconsin. Well, I wasn't as successful with those other states as I wanted to be, but I still had a great time and thought I would share this report for anyone who's interested in reading it.

On Wednesday evening, August 1, I left my home in Grand Rapids MI and drove to Joliet IL for the evening to hang out with a friend and get a fairly early start for my drive Thursday morning.

My route on Day 1 - Thursday, Aug. 2
Local roads in Joliet -> U.S. 52 east -> County Highway 9 west (Kankakee County) -> I-57 south for 119 miles -> IL 133 west -> IL 32 south (multiplexed with a few other routes along the way) -> I-70 west just outside of Effingham -> IL 127 south -> IL 149 west -> IL 3 north -> IL 150 through Chester -> Chester Bridge over the Mississippi River into Missouri -> MO 51 south -> County Highway H west (Perry County) -> U.S. 61 north -> Old Channel Rd. back into Illinois -> (exploring Kaskaskia IL) -> Old Channel Rd. back to Missouri -> U.S. 61 south -> County Highway W east -> MO 51 north -> back into Illinois via the Chester Bridge -> IL 150 (exploring Chester IL a bit) -> IL 3 north -> IL 255 north to my exit in Cahokia IL where my hotel was located.

Notes from Day 1
Overall, this was a pretty good day. I stopped for breakfast in Kankakee and then for lunch in Vandalia. Traffic was light pretty much the entire day, and I had no difficulties. I got out of the car, stretched my legs, and took a few photos around downtown Pinckneyville which was cool. It's interesting that, in order to get to Kaskaskia IL, you have to leave Illinois and enter Missouri first before coming back into Illinois. Chester is a neat little city in Illinois (the home of Popeye!), but unfortunately I didn't see the Popeye statue. The weather was sunny pretty much the entire day... until I was approaching the St. Louis area. It started raining pretty hard just a few minutes before I got to my hotel, so my timing was good on that. While I was in Cahokia, I spent a bit of time exploring that area and had dinner at a good barbeque restaurant which was the #1-ranked restaurant in Cahokia on TripAdvisor.

My new Illinois counties on Day 1

• Moultrie County
  • Clinton County
  • Washington County
  • Perry County
  • Jackson County
  • Randolph County

My route on Day 2 - Friday, Aug. 3
I-255 north -> IL 255 north -> U.S. 67 north -> I-72 east -> IL 4 north -> IL 29 north -> (a quick jaunt over to the town of Andrew IL and back) -> IL 29 north -> IL 123 west -> IL 97 north -> CR 900N west (Mason County) -> IL 78 south -> IL 125 west -> U.S. 67/IL 100 north -> IL 103 west -> U.S. 24 west -> IL 94 north (joining IL 110 and IL 336) -> a quick stop in Carthage IL -> U.S. 136/IL 110/IL 336 east -> IL 336 east -> U.S. 136 east through downtown Macomb -> IL 41 north -> IL 9 east -> IL 97 north -> IL 8 east -> IL 78 north -> IL 17 east -> IL 91 south -> U.S. 150 east -> IL 6 south -> I-74 west -> U.S. 34 west bypassing Galesburg -> IL 164 west -> U.S. 34 west -> IL 164 west -> IL 94 north -> IL 17 east -> U.S. 67 north to some local roads around Moline IL to my hotel for the night.

Notes from Day 2
The sun was shining all day, but wow... this was a grueling day with all the zigzagging I did around western Illinois. I was on the road for about 12 hours. In the morning I had breakfast at my hotel, but then for lunch, I just stopped at a Casey's convenience store in Virginia IL where I grabbed something quick. Yesterday I posted a topic in the Ohio Valley board about a couple of signage issues that I experienced on this day... one in Springfield where I missed my turn for IL 29 north, and one just outside of Beardstown where I almost missed my turn for IL 103 west because I don't recall seeing a sign for IL 103... only a sign for IL 100 north. Beardstown and Macomb seemed like neat little towns, and I enjoyed the bridge crossing the Illinois River on U.S. 67/IL 100 even though it was down to one lane (with flaggers) due to construction. In the morning I was supposed to take IL 97 up to Havana, west on U.S. 136, and then south on IL 78 but I decided to cut that corner by taking CR 900N west to the tiny town of Bath. Very remote territory out there.

The IL 110/336 expressway south and east of Carthage is a nice road. The routing of U.S. 136, however, is a bit strange just outside of Macomb to the west - because it leaves that expressway, and then when you get closer to Macomb, you can get off at an exit for U.S. 136 to head east into town which is what I ended up doing. (Part of me was kicking myself, though, for allowing myself to have a gap in my clinch of that section of U.S. 136. Oh well.)

I was really starting to get impatient with this drive somewhere northeast of Macomb. I stopped for a gas break in the town of Wyoming (northwest of Peoria), so the break was nice. By that time, it was around 4:30 or 5 and I knew I still had quite a bit of ground to cover before I made it to the Quad Cities area. I finally pulled into my hotel parking lot around 7:30 p.m. That evening I checked out a mall that was close to my hotel, had a nice dinner, sat in the hot tub at my hotel, and then went out around 10 p.m. to explore downtown Davenport at night... stopping at a brewery while I was there. I took some nighttime photos of Davenport and drove back and forth a few times across the bridge that connects Davenport IA with Rock Island IL. It was a fun night!

My new Illinois counties on Day 2

• Greene County
  • Menard County
  • Mason County
  • Cass County
  • Schuyler County
  • Brown County
  • Adams County
  • Hancock County
  • McDonough County
  • Fulton County
  • Knox County
  • Stark County
  • Warren County
  • Henderson County
  • Mercer County

I spent the morning exploring the downtown areas of Milan IL, Moline IL, Rock Island IL, and Davenport IA before leaving the Quad Cities area. Part of my route included IL 92 between Moline and Rock Island, and I was intrigued by the little IL 92 freeway west of downtown Rock Island. Unfortunately I didn't take that freeway very far.

Business U.S. 61 north from Davenport -> U.S. 61 north (joining up with U.S. 151 in Dubuque) -> Crossing the U.S. 61/151 bridge over the Mississippi River into Wisconsin -> WI 11 east -> County Road I north (Lafayette County) -> WI 81 west -> WI 126 north -> U.S. 151 south -> lunch break and exploration of downtown Platteville -> U.S. 151 south -> back across the Mississippi River into Dubuque -> U.S. 20 west to my hotel for the evening, followed by a lot of exploring of downtown Dubuque.

Notes from Day 3
This was the day that I had originally intended to get a whole bunch of new counties in northeastern Iowa, possibly two counties in southeastern Minnesota, and maybe more than just one in southwestern Wisconsin. But given the kind of day I'd had the previous day, I just decided to take it easy and have fun exploring the Quad Cities in the morning and Dubuque in the afternoon/evening. I also went into East Dubuque IL for a bit. The morning in the Quad Cities area was sunny, but when I was driving up toward Dubuque, the clouds were rolling in. It was mostly cloudy throughout my time in Dubuque and southwestern Wisconsin. I enjoyed seeing Platteville for the first time. Part of what attracted me to this area was that it's known as the "Driftless Area" and has some interesting topography. I don't think I fully came to appreciate this area as much as I wanted to, but it was mainly because I was still a bit mentally drained from my drive the day before and was mostly focusing on the Quad Cities and Dubuque. I will say, though, that I truly enjoyed the Quad Cities and Dubuque and look forward to visiting those places again someday.

• Lafayette County

My route on Day 4 - Sunday, Aug. 5
After grabbing a quick breakfast in downtown Dubuque, I headed east on U.S. 20 heading toward home in Michigan.

U.S. 20 east -> downtown Galena IL for a bit of exploration -> U.S. 20 east (which included a detour on some dirt roads due to a closure along U.S. 20) -> Business U.S. 20 east to downtown Rockford -> (exploring downtown Rockford a bit) -> I-90 east -> I-290 east -> I-294 south -> I-80 east -> I-94 east -> I-196 north to the Grand Rapids area and then home.

Notes from Day 4
Galena IL is a really cool little town. This is yet another place I would love to spend more time in someday. The signed detour for eastbound U.S. 20 involved IL 84, but looking at Google Maps, that detour looked like it would have gone significantly out of my way, so I came up with my own detour around the closure which was much simpler and shorter even though it involved dirt roads.

This was my first time visiting downtown Rockford. Another interesting place that I wouldn't mind spending more time in.

One thing that was annoying, though, was dealing with a missed toll as I was exiting I-90 and getting onto I-290. I don't own an I-Pass transponder and don't intend to own one anytime soon, so I just pay with cash on toll roads. Well, the toll plaza leaving I-90 at I-290 is one where you must have exact change. I had assumed that, for a significant interchange like that, surely they would be staffed with human toll collectors that could make change if necessary. Well I was wrong. I didn't have the 60 cents in change so I had to drive through it and pay it online after I got home. No biggie but it was just annoying.

Driving through the Chicago area on a Sunday afternoon (heading back to Michigan) always seems like a pain. There was some construction on eastbound I-290 just south of I-90 (right where the above-mentioned toll plaza is located) which caused some significant delays. And then, as always, on I-80/94 near the IL/IN line there was a significant backup. I think this was caused by an accident which closed the two left lanes.

Finally, at around 5:45 p.m. ET last Sunday, I made it home from my journey after driving 1,842.4 miles. It was quite an adventure!

Hopefully I can go on another solo county-collecting trip next year, but with the road meets I have in mind for next year, I'm not sure this will be feasible. But if it is, I'd like to take a trip that allows me to finish the counties I need in both Ohio and Indiana.
congrats on finishing illinois! hope you post it on mob-rule.
the lettered highways in mo are mo state secondary highways though for all practical purposes they might as well be county highways. i try to stay off them as they usually are rough.
the counties i need in your state are on u-23 north of b. c., and ingham (i play the county-hunting game to make the one containing the capital city last whenever feasible. in this case, i chose ingham because the capitol building is in that one).
at least the illinois toll system has an online payment feature. in the past, they did not, and i had to mail them a check for 75¢ (in 2004)! i missed one in 2015 (i think) by being in the wrong lane and getting on the toll road with no change. the toll was small but was money i spent unnecessarily.
nice that you found a shorter detour. i hate those. had one on my trip last weekend. with no warning that i could see, i found that e45 was closed east of x40 at morley! so i had to go all the way back to ia-64 to get around that. (i had come in on 64 and try to avoid any backtracking; another rule i have in collecting highways and counties.)
if you get to central ia, let me know and maybe we can hook up.
happy and safe travels!
for my counties, see naked_driver on mob-rule.
highways are at my highways.
drive as i do!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Naked.Driver on August 29, 2018, 01:18:07 PM
congrats on finishing illinois! hope you post it on mob-rule.
That's done! :) You can find my Mob-Rule page here: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/new_friends_gr.gif

Quote from: Naked.Driver on August 29, 2018, 01:18:07 PM
if you get to central ia, let me know and maybe we can hook up.

Maybe we can! I'm always up for meeting new people. I'm just not sure when I'll be in that area next though.
-A.J. from Michigan

Naked.Driver

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 02, 2018, 12:14:20 AM

That's done! :) You can find my Mob-Rule page here: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/new_friends_gr.gif
way cool! it looks as if in and oh will be your next conquests, and your total is just over half of mine. (have fun conquering tx!  ;) ) hope you saw my mob-rule page.

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 02, 2018, 12:14:20 AMMaybe we can (hook up)! I'm always up for meeting new people. I'm just not sure when I'll be in that area next though.
(i emphasized yours to indicate where i added something because i removed the quoted part.)
or maybe i in yours. if i go to mi before next summer (that is, after chicago pride because may and june are my busiest travel months), i will post it.
for my counties, see naked_driver on mob-rule.
highways are at my highways.
drive as i do!

tchafe1978

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on August 12, 2018, 04:57:33 PM

Notes from Day 3

• Lafayette County

Just a quick note, since I'm from the area: As soon as you cross the bridge from Dubuque to Wisconsin, you're in Grant County, and Platteville is in Grant County, so you can add another county to your list in Wisconsin. Also looks like you drove through my home town of Belmont :)

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: tchafe1978 on September 16, 2018, 10:54:56 AM
Just a quick note, since I'm from the area: As soon as you cross the bridge from Dubuque to Wisconsin, you're in Grant County, and Platteville is in Grant County, so you can add another county to your list in Wisconsin.

I had already gotten Grant County from a previous trip, so Grant wasn't a new county for me. Only Lafayette was. :)

Also looks like you drove through my home town of Belmont :)

I did! It seemed like a cute little town. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

tchafe1978

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on September 16, 2018, 11:00:20 AM
Just a quick note, since I'm from the area: As soon as you cross the bridge from Dubuque to Wisconsin, you're in Grant County, and Platteville is in Grant County, so you can add another county to your list in Wisconsin.

I had already gotten Grant County from a previous trip, so Grant wasn't a new county for me. Only Lafayette was. :)

Also looks like you drove through my home town of Belmont :)

I did! It seemed like a cute little town. :)

I didn't realize that meant you had already been to Grant County. Thanks for visiting the area!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.