News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Redesigned State Highway Signs for New Jersey

Started by papaT10932, January 18, 2010, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papaT10932

Over the past year, I have had an unsuccessful attempt at getting new state highway makers for NJ. To me, its more than just a sign. I am a native New Jerseyan. I'm tired of NJ always being belittled by negative stereotypes and being hidden behind New York's and Philadelphia's huge shadows. I thought a new state route marker is a great step towards achieving some kind of state identity and personality.

I am, however, just a novice at this. I sent letters to the NJDOT explaining my position, but was told that it would be "too confusing" for motorists if the signs are redesigned. I actually think it has more to do with an election year....

but I am putting it out there. NJ needs to create a new route marker for the sake of statewide pride. Any ideas? If anyone on aaroads forum would like to design some examples, I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has connections inside the NJDOT, perhaps you can take this issue a little further than I could.

Some designs that I have drawn up are:  
-A tomato shape (NJ is nicknamed the Garden State. This sign would not only negate the stereotypes of "polluted NJ" but might also enrich the agricultural sector by making the Jersey tomato a statewide symbol)

-A 13 star circle (showcasing NJ's rich colonial history and contribution to the Revolutionary War

-The state outline (similar to Florida's sign)

-The state seal (similar to NY's sign)

-A Lightbulb (Thomas Edison heritage)

shoptb1

Perhaps the route number in front of the outline of a can of AquaNet?   :spin:  

Ok, couldn't resist.  In all seriousness though, I think this is a great idea.  I personally like the idea of incorporating the state outline.  Not sure if you've seen this website or not, but it's the "Great International Highway Makeover" website, and there are suggested designs on here for all of the US states, and especially those that are using the dreaded circle.  There are a few nice designs on here with an outline of New Jersey.    You may have already seen this, but if not, it's another good resource.

Great International Highway Makeover
http://www.us-highways.com/newnj.htm

papaT10932

I normally would be insulted by that AquaNet comment, but in this case, it's timely and plays right into my point.  :clap: Thanks.

shoptb1

Quote from: papaT10932 on January 18, 2010, 03:59:27 PM
I normally would be insulted by that AquaNet comment, but in this case, it's timely and plays right into my point.  :clap: Thanks.

I'm originally from Arkansas.  Believe me, New Jersey has nothing on the shoeless, no-toothed jokes about my home. 

"Laughing at ourselves is possible when we are able to see humanity as it is - a little lower than the angels and at times only slightly higher than the apes"  - Tom Mullen

:sombrero:

agentsteel53

Froggie had some ideas but I cannot offhand find where he posted his designs.  Froggie, repost please?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

froggie

shoptb1

Quote from: froggie on January 18, 2010, 08:51:00 PM
Earlier in the Road-related Illustrations thread...

Heck, those would even look really good sans color.  Anything beats the generic circle!

papaT10932

It's not the boring circle the bothers me. Its the fact that other states also use it. (Especially our next door neighbor, Delaware.) If I was ruler of the universe, my policy would be simple: 50 states = 50 DIFFERENT highway signs. If no other states used the default circle, I wouldn't object to NJ's sign as much as I do.

shoptb1

Quote from: papaT10932 on January 19, 2010, 12:01:08 AM
It's not the boring circle the bothers me. Its the fact that other states also use it. (Especially our next door neighbor, Delaware.) If I was ruler of the universe, my policy would be simple: 50 states = 50 DIFFERENT highway signs. If no other states used the default circle, I wouldn't object to NJ's sign as much as I do.

Well, the good news is that you have some recent precedent to support the idea that the movement away from a generic state route markers is possibly getting some traction.  Both Oklahoma and South Carolina have moved away from the generic marker to a new route marker with the outline of the state in the background.  And in the case of South Carolina, there's plenty of color there too.  I'm not sure who or what got the ideas rolling for change in those states, but perhaps that's something that could help you in New Jersey as well?

xonhulu

I also hope you have some success, as NJ's plain circles are pretty dull.

And I agree with the hope that OK and SC are heralding a move away from the plain route markers and back to some with some character.  I'd much rather see the older-style US shields make a return.  And I'd love to see my state (OR) go back to the classic "eagle" shield.  However, it's more likely you'd see some sort of background image, as that still leaves the entire sign available for the number.  I also think the state name should be on the shield, especially if the state's outline isn't used.

mightyace

Quote from: xonhulu on January 19, 2010, 01:30:47 AM
I also think the state name should be on the shield, especially if the state's outline isn't used.

I generally agree with you with one exception.

IMHO The Pennsylvania keystone is fine as it is.  Adding "PA" or "Pennsylvania" to it would just clutter it up.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

papaT10932

I think highway markers that are unique by themselves are fine the way there are. PA and NY shields, for example, could be left alone and most people would still recognize them as being from PA or NY. But for default circle signs, I think adding N.J., Del,, or Miss., for example, is a bare minimum addition to a circle, and it would at least differentiate them from all of the other "circle states."

mightyace

Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 19, 2010, 06:55:49 PM
How about "PENNA" across the top?  www.alpsroads.net/roads/summa/pa507.jpg

I could live with that.  (at least if it was a cutout like that)  But, my personal preference is still the bare keystone.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

xonhulu

I just checked out some older Pennsylvania shields in the Gallery, and they didn't look half bad with "Penna" or "PA" on top.

I'm just annoyed with the plain shape shields we see everywhere these days.  Seems to me there should be something on the shield besides the number.  After all, we have no problem with the word "Interstate" on those shields; they function well as a distinctive design.  U.S. Routes should also carry some description of the route type.  I hate to say it, but that's one place where I have to say California still gets it right.

papaT10932

Ok, Ok folks. Let's stay on topic!  :pan:

Any ideas on how to work with NJDOT? Does anyone have any connections to this fine organization??? Ctsignguy is having some success in Connecticut. Any ideas, ctsignguy? :nod:

ctsignguy

well, i need to contact Jeff at ConnDOT now that the holidays are over and hopefully, things have settled back into a dull roar up there...

but i can say that your best bet would be to undertake a small expense and have some prototypes made up....preferably full-sized...and present them to NJDOT [personally to the head of their sign shop/traffic engineering.  Based upon my experience with ConnDOT, it isnt enough to have either a general description, or even photos/pictures of what you are suggesting...a full-scale sign  really makes an impression.

One other consideration.  Given the current state of the economy, you would be best off with a fairly simple, yet unique, design that wouldn't be a hassle to fabricate, either as a silkscreened or laser-cut sign...based upon your ideas at the start of this thread, your best chance for success would probably be with the State seal.  Your other suggestions might run afoul of MUTCD standards, or be difficult enough to fabricate to be ruled out...(although the light bulb idea is certainly different enough!  Only issue there is a 3-di sign....)
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

papaT10932

Quick question, just out of curiosity: Is a change of this type soley made by the DOT or does it have to go through a legislative process with a governer's signature?

ctsignguy

i think that depends upon each individual State.....

at the very least, expect lots of hearings about proposed changes
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

shoptb1

I still support the idea of the state outline, as shown on the makeover page.  As shown below, this would support both 2- and 3-digit routes, and without multi-colors should be reasonable on production costs.  The only thing I would change is to put a 'NJ' on the upper portion of the shield.

papaT10932

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 20, 2010, 03:11:05 PM
I still support the idea of the state outline, as shown on the makeover page.  As shown below, this would support both 2- and 3-digit routes, and without multi-colors should be reasonable on production costs.  The only thing I would change is to put a 'NJ' on the upper portion of the shield.

When you asked me if I have ever been to that website, the answer is yes. I actually designed that outline shield. Sorry for the Arial font though, its the best I have.
Also, I tried it with an NJ on the top portion of the sign, but it became to cluttered. If you go back on that site, the sign I made with the state seal was later revised with "New Jersey" written across the top. It looks much better that way.

shoptb1

Quote from: papaT10932 on January 20, 2010, 03:26:49 PM
When you asked me if I have ever been to that website, the answer is yes. I actually designed that outline shield. Sorry for the Arial font though, its the best I have.
Also, I tried it with an NJ on the top portion of the sign, but it became to cluttered. If you go back on that site, the sign I made with the state seal was later revised with "New Jersey" written across the top. It looks much better that way.

Good work, but I have to say that the state seal looks too much like a US-route shield.  I think you run into the possibility of confusion there.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

shoptb1

agentsteel53

very nice, Scott!  I'd reduce the "NJ" in size a bit, and diminish the amount of state border present so it is further away from the number.  That should give the number better visual separation from a distance, especially given the halation resulting from it being a black number on a white background. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.