News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-57 Approved

Started by US71, October 11, 2017, 09:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 24, 2023, 08:56:42 PM
When any Texas-based business expands outside of Texas usually Oklahoma is one of the first places they build. In the case of Buc-ee's, when they started building new locations outside of Texas it has been anywhere but Oklahoma.

There are now four locations in Alabama, at least two in Florida, two in Georgia, two in Tennessee, one in South Carolina and one in Kentucky (another KY project was recently cancelled). As I said before, their first locations in Colorado and Missouri are in the final stages of construction. Buc-ee's has proposed a North Carolina location in MeBane off I-40/85. They also have a location proposed in Dayton, Ohio near the I-70/OH-235 interchange. That's 16 locations in 9 states outside of Texas. That's a bit much for Oklahoma to be left out "accidentally."

Buc-ee's is also building some new locations in Texas. Construction is starting on a new world's largest convenience store in Luling, TX. That one will replace an existing Buc-ee's location which was an early version of their super store concept. They're also finally going forward with an Amarillo location. When all that work is finished there will be at least four Buc-ee's locations along I-40 -but none in Oklahoma.

I know Buc-ee's is picky about the locations where it chooses to build. The outer fringes of the OKC metro have a lot of open spots along I-35 or I-40 where a Buc-ee's location would do very well. It really seems weird to me they would build a location off I-44 in Springfield, MO before building anything in Oklahoma on the outskirts of the Tulsa or OKC metros.

The one in Clarksville (off on I-24 exit 1) got canceled... Smith Grove, KY is currently under construction off on I-65.
-Jay Seaburg

Road Hog

Oklahoma is already chock-full of truck stop chains such as Love's, Pilot/Flying J and TA/Petro. Even though Buc-ee's targets the four-wheel demo more, that might've given them some pause.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 24, 2023, 09:28:38 PM
When any Texas-based business expands outside of Texas usually Oklahoma is one of the first places they build. In the case of Buc-ee's, when they started building new locations outside of Texas it has been anywhere but Oklahoma.

There are now four locations in Alabama, at least two in Florida, two in Georgia, two in Tennessee (another TN project was recently canceled), one in South Carolina and one in Kentucky. As I said before, their first locations in Colorado and Missouri are in the final stages of construction. Buc-ee's has proposed a North Carolina location in MeBane off I-40/85. They also have a location proposed in Dayton, Ohio near the I-70/OH-235 interchange. That's 16 locations in 9 states outside of Texas. That's a bit much for Oklahoma to be left out "accidentally."

Buc-ee's is also building some new locations in Texas. Construction is starting on a new world's largest convenience store in Luling, TX. That one will replace an existing Buc-ee's location which was an early version of their super store concept. They're also finally going forward with an Amarillo location. When all that work is finished there will be at least four Buc-ee's locations along I-40 -but none in Oklahoma.

I know Buc-ee's is picky about the locations where it chooses to build. The outer fringes of the OKC metro have a lot of open spots along I-35 or I-40 where a Buc-ee's location would do very well. It really seems weird to me they would build a location off I-44 in Springfield, MO before building anything in Oklahoma on the outskirts of the Tulsa or OKC metros.

The one in Clarksville (off on I-24 exit 1) got canceled... Smith Grove, KY is currently under construction off on I-65.
-Jay Seaburg

r15-1

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 24, 2023, 09:36:04 PM

There are now four locations in Alabama, at least two in Florida, two in Georgia, two in Tennessee (another TN project was recently canceled), one in South Carolina and one in Kentucky. As I said before, their first locations in Colorado and Missouri are in the final stages of construction. Buc-ee's has proposed a North Carolina location in MeBane off I-40/85. They also have a location proposed in Dayton, Ohio near the I-70/OH-235 interchange. That's 16 locations in 9 states outside of Texas. That's a bit much for Oklahoma to be left out "accidentally."

Construction is supposed to start sometime next year on the first Louisiana Buc-ee's location to be built just west of Ruston on I-20 at the new exit 83. If everything stays on schedule, that location could open sometime in 2025.

https://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/2023/08/03/bucees-set-to-open-first-louisiana-store-after-state-funds-millions-for-interstate-service-road/70517521007/

bwana39

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 24, 2023, 09:36:04 PM

I have said this before. Texas based businesses RARELY locate to Oklahoma. Brookshire Grocery has not. United Supermarkets (now part of Alberton's (In spite of the same named unrelated Oklahoma Chain), and even Valero Corner Stores (now part of Circle K) skipped Oklahoma. 

Buc-ees probably will be no different.

Will Buc-ees build in your state / town? It all depends on the tax abatements. They generally pay virtually no property taxes and get significant infrastructure improvements.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

MikieTimT

Arkansas has exactly 0 as well, so it isn't like Oklahoma is the only red-headed stepchild.  And Arkansas shares an I-x0 interstate with Texas as well that's chock-full of semi traffic.

Bobby5280

Quote from: Road HogOklahoma is already chock-full of truck stop chains such as Love's, Pilot/Flying J and TA/Petro.

18-wheel semi's and other large commercial vehicles are typically not allowed at Buc-ee's locations. Just personal cars, pickups and SUVs.

Quote from: bwana39I have said this before. Texas based businesses RARELY locate to Oklahoma. Brookshire Grocery has not. United Supermarkets (now part of Alberton's (In spite of the same named unrelated Oklahoma Chain), and even Valero Corner Stores (now part of Circle K) skipped Oklahoma.

What is this "rarely" nonsense? Restaurant chains like Whataburger, Taco Bueno, Johnny Carino's and Chili's were founded in Texas yet had no problem building in Oklahoma. Whole Foods, Cinemark Theaters, GameStop and a bunch of other Texas-founded retailers opened locations in Oklahoma. BIG companies such as Halliburton are headquartered in Texas, but still have a lot of operations in Oklahoma.

Quote from: bwana39Will Buc-ees build in your state / town? It all depends on the tax abatements. They generally pay virtually no property taxes and get significant infrastructure improvements.

Cities and towns in Oklahoma have been making tax deals with prospective businesses looking to build in the state for a long time. They'll even set up TIF districts in parts of a city or town to attract multiple businesses. A big chunk of downtown Lawton is set up like that in efforts to revitalize the downtown area.

ski-man

From what I have read the owner of Buc-ee's is an Aggie. Just gave millions to A&M for a new building on campus. Can't you tell, all the new locations are in SEC Country except for the new Colorado & Ohio locations  ;-)

Bobby5280

The OU Sooners and Texas Longhorns sports teams are leaving the Big XII for the SEC next season. But I don't think a Big XII vs SEC rivalry is the issue. As silly as it seems, I wouldn't be surprised if Buc-ee's Boss, Arch Aplin has a very strong dislike of the OU Sooners and doesn't want to open any locations in Oklahoma for that reason. He is a big supporter of Texas A&M. Some of this sports rivalry stuff between the two states gets pretty ridiculous.

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on September 25, 2023, 02:50:36 PM
Quote from: Road HogOklahoma is already chock-full of truck stop chains such as Love's, Pilot/Flying J and TA/Petro.

18-wheel semi's and other large commercial vehicles are typically not allowed at Buc-ee's locations. Just personal cars, pickups and SUVs.

Quote from: bwana39I have said this before. Texas based businesses RARELY locate to Oklahoma. Brookshire Grocery has not. United Supermarkets (now part of Alberton's (In spite of the same named unrelated Oklahoma Chain), and even Valero Corner Stores (now part of Circle K) skipped Oklahoma.

What is this "rarely" nonsense? Restaurant chains like Whataburger, Taco Bueno, Johnny Carino's and Chili's were founded in Texas yet had no problem building in Oklahoma. Whole Foods, Cinemark Theaters, GameStop and a bunch of other Texas-founded retailers opened locations in Oklahoma. BIG companies such as Halliburton are headquartered in Texas, but still have a lot of operations in Oklahoma.

I guess to be more accurate, I should have said texas based regional firms that are company owned outside the oil & gas business.

Plutonic Panda

Valero is in Oklahoma

bwana39

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on September 30, 2023, 03:24:25 AM
Valero is in Oklahoma

Yes there are Valero branded fuel outlets in Oklahoma (Franchisees). I was talking about the Valero Corner Stores that were bought by Circle-K around 5 years ago.

I did clarify it a little bit farther down.  Texas based regional COMPANY OWNED outlets. Not franchisees.

Bobby5280

Hair-splitting over Valero doesn't do anything to prove there is some unspoken rule for Texas-based businesses in general not to build locations in Oklahoma. When a Texas-based company is choosing not to build anything in Oklahoma (like what I suspect with Buc-ee's) it is solely, only that company's choice.

edwaleni

I think we can put Bucees to rest, just start a new thread in the right group if you need to discuss further.

According to the Federal permitting site:

https://www.permits.performance.gov/permitting-project/dot-projects/walnut-ridge-missouri-state-line-future-i-57

Several completion dates were moved out for I-57 in Arkansas

EIS: Extended to October 20,2023
Clean Water Act: November 30, 2023
- It is awaiting the final signoff from the Army Corp of Engineers
State, Local, Tribal, or Other Non-Federal Action: October 31, 2023
- Awaiting sign off from ADEA at the State of Arkansas.

Road Hog

Any state that has a Braum's is A-OK. Now let's continue with Dallas to Chicago.

bugo

Quote from: bwana39 on September 25, 2023, 08:12:49 AM
I have said this before. Texas based businesses RARELY locate to Oklahoma. Brookshire Grocery has not. United Supermarkets (now part of Alberton's (In spite of the same named unrelated Oklahoma Chain), and even Valero Corner Stores (now part of Circle K) skipped Oklahoma. 

Brookshire's owns Reasor's, which has a bunch of stores in Tulsa and other parts of the state.

As far as Texas companies not doing business in Oklahoma, that's false. Whataburger. 7-Eleven, Chicken Express, Blue Bell and many other Texas-based companies operate in Oklahoma.

mgk920

Quote from: ski-man on September 25, 2023, 03:08:24 PM
From what I have read the owner of Buc-ee's is an Aggie. Just gave millions to A&M for a new building on campus. Can't you tell, all the new locations are in SEC Country except for the new Colorado & Ohio locations  ;-)

And the forthcoming one in Wisconsin (northeastern Madison area, next to a major six-lane (soon to be eight-lane?) interstate). :nod:

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Wikipedia's Interstate 57 page mentions that the future Interstate corridor will pass by some levees. Where exactly are these levees? The article that is footnoted mentions they're along the Black River, but I can't locate them on Google Maps.

Tomahawkin

I would assume it will be built a lot like 269 south of Memphis where it was built with a lot of viaducts along the floodplain? Not to mention all the farm vehicle traffic will have to have bridges to pass underneath, but it's purely speculation. ARDOT probably won't pass any information until 2025???

Bobby5280

Just when I thought the whole Buc-ee's thing was being put to rest, a son of one of Buc-ee's founders was arrested and charged for secretly recording videos of women in bathrooms at daddy's lake house and Dallas apartment.
:crazy:

Henry

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 06, 2023, 01:38:09 PM
Wikipedia's Interstate 57 page mentions that the future Interstate corridor will pass by some levees. Where exactly are these levees? The article that is footnoted mentions they're along the Black River, but I can't locate them on Google Maps.
Wild guess, but probably between Diaz and Pocahontas via Walnut Ridge.

(Hopefully I'll get to drive my Chevy to one of them before they run dry! :sombrero:)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

rte66man

Quote from: Henry on October 06, 2023, 09:44:21 PM

(Hopefully I'll get to drive my Chevy to one of them before they run dry! :sombrero:)

Drinking whiskey and rye I'm sure.......
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

MikieTimT

Quote from: rte66man on October 10, 2023, 01:40:51 PM

This is the only levee anywhere on the entire route that I can find.  And it's not on the Black River, because there aren't any on the Black River that I've ever seen.  Neither on the Current River.  That's why Pocahontas is so flood prone and US-67 has shut down numerous times.  Don't think we have much to worry about with the White River drying up.  Even as dry as it has been lately, they still blow 1.5GWhrs worth of hydropower water out of Bull Shoals Dam most days, which along with the Black River running into it at Jacksonport, amounts to at least 5000 ft3/sec at Newport.

Henry

Quote from: rte66man on October 10, 2023, 01:40:51 PM

Well, that'll be the day I die!

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 10, 2023, 03:20:20 PM
This is the only levee anywhere on the entire route that I can find.  And it's not on the Black River, because there aren't any on the Black River that I've ever seen.  Neither on the Current River.  That's why Pocahontas is so flood prone and US-67 has shut down numerous times.  Don't think we have much to worry about with the White River drying up.  Even as dry as it has been lately, they still blow 1.5GWhrs worth of hydropower water out of Bull Shoals Dam most days, which along with the Black River running into it at Jacksonport, amounts to at least 5000 ft3/sec at Newport.

The moral of the story: Don't trust everything Wikipedia tells you!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

bugo

I seriously doubt that Buc'ees refuses to open a store in Oklahoma because he's an Aggie fan. That would be petty to a Trumpian degree. If he were a Texas fan, your theory might make a tiny bit more sense, but Oklahoma and Texas A&M aren't particularly hated rivals. A&M's rivalry with LSU is much more intense, and they are building stores in Louisiana. I just don't think that has any basis in reality.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.